Muse Live Sounds Thread

muhaggart

Starting this thread for tabs or tips on how to achieve some of the live sounds that the band achieve, or live versions of any songs that people want to learn.

Gonna start this one off by asking about a sound that is repeated once Matt has tuned his guitar down an octave on his D string on Stockholm live at Wembley on HAARP. There is a sound that I can only assume is produced by Chris that repeats a few times until the end, and it sounds like a 'yeoww' sound with a decreasing pitch, and is very grainy. I love this sound and was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how it is produced (effects, techniques, etc).

Thanks, and lets hope this thread is helpful to many!

I've only got the CD version here, but if it's the sound I'm hearing, that's the string tuned down + the harmonic mode on the sustainer.

Not entirely sure we're hearing the same sound here. It plays underneath Matt. Almost sounds like a synth or something but my best bet would probably be some fuzz on the bass. Thanks though

Is it in this video? If so, at what time?

I imagine it's something Morgan is doing. He's usually on stage during this song

Yeah around 7:13 I can hear it a bit. It is quite low in the mix, and if possible bass boosting on the video may be required. That was my other thought, it is very possible that it may be Morgan that's making the sound.

Yeah around 7:13 I can hear it a bit. It is quite low in the mix, and if possible bass boosting on the video may be required. That was my other thought, it is very possible that it may be Morgan that's making the sound.

If its the sound that you can hear again right around 7:42 then its definitely a synth of some sort. It does sound like it could be chris playing through one of the Deep impact's settings (like the weird little frog thing he does in sunburn for example) or just morgan smashing some notes on an actual synth.

Hello everyone. so Matt is playing the solo of the handled a bit diffrently on live version. has anyone figured it out? it sounds really cool. thanks

What do you mean? He plays the solo the same way live as it is in the studio, except with a few mistakes because even Matt Bellamy isn't perfect :LOL:

• 2 weeks later...

New question:

In the invincible solo live at Wembley

(Around 4:37)

I was wondering, is Matt using 2 fingers to tap on his right hand? It sounds like there is more to it than just tapping with the whammy then leaning off for the trilling to me, and it definitely looks like it. It doesn't seem to be present with every set of taps/trills but it just seems to sound different than the way that I have learnt it.

Thanks.

I don't hear anything, maybe it sounds slightly different as he doesn't quite time the tap with the treadle still moving? I think his other finger is in that position because of the way he olds the pick/tucks it under his middle finger

haha yeah I think that pick thing might be right, I hold mine like that. I think you may be right about the pedal too, its probably just him leaning off after a couple of hammers and pulls before the rest of the trill. Thanks

New question:

In the invincible solo live at Wembley

(Around 4:37)

I was wondering, is Matt using 2 fingers to tap on his right hand? It sounds like there is more to it than just tapping with the whammy then leaning off for the trilling to me, and it definitely looks like it. It doesn't seem to be present with every set of taps/trills but it just seems to sound different than the way that I have learnt it.

Thanks.

Nah one finger but the way he's holding his pic makes it look like two. There's a lot of delay on the guitar tone so that might be what you're hearing.

has anyone ever figured out and/or written a tab down for the new Knights improv solo during the outro? Matt's been playing it ever since the beginning of 2015 afaik and here's how it goes

https://youtu.be/xCf1Ft5AIXo?t=7m8s

Only spent a couple of minutes trying to figure this one out but its sounding pretty close I think. I'm very tired so please forgive me if there are any errors but I think this does the trick? Some of it is a bit inaudible given the mixing and all that but... y'know :)

e|---------------------------5+-5+-7+----------7+---------------|

B|---------------------0-0---------------------------7+-----------|

G|----------------------------------------5+~----------7+~------|

D|------------------------------------------------------------------|

A|------------3+~-------------------------------------------------|

E|-3-0-0-0--------------------------------------------------------|

e|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

B|-------------------------------------15------14-----14-----------14-----------------------|

G|-2(dive with trem bar)-/12--17b19------14-----14-----------14------------------|

D|----------------------------------------------------------------14----------14--------------|

A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------16b17----|

E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

B|-----------------------------------------------------------7-------7-------7------|

G|-----------------------------------------------------------9b11--9b11--9b11-|

D|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

A|---16b17-16-14-16-14--14-14-14-14-14-14----------------------------|

E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Only spent a couple of minutes trying to figure this one out but its sounding pretty close I think. I'm very tired so please forgive me if there are any errors but I think this does the trick? Some of it is a bit inaudible given the mixing and all that but... y'know :)

e|---------------------------5+-5+-7+----------7+---------------|

B|---------------------0-0---------------------------7+-----------|

G|----------------------------------------5+~----------7+~------|

D|------------------------------------------------------------------|

A|------------3+~-------------------------------------------------|

E|-3-0-0-0--------------------------------------------------------|

e|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

B|-------------------------------------15------14-----14-----------14-----------------------|

G|-2(dive with trem bar)-/12--17b19------14-----14-----------14------------------|

D|----------------------------------------------------------------14----------14--------------|

A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------16b17----|

E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

B|-----------------------------------------------------------7-------7-------7------|

G|-----------------------------------------------------------9b11--9b11--9b11-|

D|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

A|---16b17-16-14-16-14--14-14-14-14-14-14----------------------------|

E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

that actually sounds pretty accurate to my ears, thanks!