Muse Live Sounds Thread

muhaggart

Just been watching a live performance of Assassin last year, and was wondering about a couple of effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNWTiMeVM8g

In this video, at 0:48, what effect is running here? I can only assume its the Phase 90 but I'm not 100% sure...

And just generally in the chorus', does anyone have any tips on how to get a similar tone to that? I was thining maybe some distortion with an EQ boosting lower bands? Its just a lovely tone and would really like to know how its done hahah.

Thanks guys

Just been watching a live performance of Assassin last year, and was wondering about a couple of effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNWTiMeVM8g

In this video, at 0:48, what effect is running here? I can only assume its the Phase 90 but I'm not 100% sure...

And just generally in the chorus', does anyone have any tips on how to get a similar tone to that? I was thining maybe some distortion with an EQ boosting lower bands? Its just a lovely tone and would really like to know how its done hahah.

Thanks guys

It's a phaser thing from the axe fx. The chorus tone is a low pass filter. I'm pretty sure it's the same exact patch he uses on Reapers chorus, all of The Handler, and the Knights outro, etc. too now adays because all of those sound pretty much the same with subtle differences between each patch for each song.

I've always wondered what was making that laser-ish kind of noise towards the end of Stockholm Syndrome at Earls Court (2nd night I believe) Could it be Matt's little ribbon controller thing on his 007?

For the outro? Sounds like he'd fiddled with the delay time etc. on the echo pro.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know what reverb Matt is using for the outro of Resistance for Live In Rome?

It's a bit of a mystery. He's said it's an 80's digitech reverb, but I've not been able to find anything like it.

closest I've got is using an infinite reverb with everything turned up all the way.

It's a bit of a mystery. He's said it's an 80's digitech reverb, but I've not been able to find anything like it.

closest I've got is using an infinite reverb with everything turned up all the way.

I bet you could real close by using an evelope filter and a delay. The envelope filter would be used to just knock the attack off the note. Set the delay time somewhat short with a lot of repeats.

I bet you could real close by using an evelope filter and a delay. The envelope filter would be used to just knock the attack off the note. Set the delay time somewhat short with a lot of repeats.

This is exactly what I've got set up as a patch on my pod, and it sounds pretty accurate. No envelope filter though, I just have a reverb behind the delay in the chain and there's no noticable attack on the strings.

Alright, so I've asked this probably about a dozen times already around here, but does anyone have ANY idea what goes into the KoC fuzz sound during the whammy bit at all? It's just a really thick and heavy fuzz that clips really easily and still manages to maintain a lot of clarity on the notes. I've gotten real close on my HD500 but everytime I try to achieve the tone it's either too thick and fizz-less, or incredibly fizzy and trebley with no low end.

This also goes for the SMBH tone from T2L, for both the general fuzz sound and the synth effect during the choruses. I've tried a lot of things out to get close to the sound for SMBH as well, but yet again, there's still a lot missing, especially for the electronic synthy sounding ping during the choruses.

This is exactly what I've got set up as a patch on my pod, and it sounds pretty accurate. No envelope filter though, I just have a reverb behind the delay in the chain and there's no noticable attack on the strings.

Alright, so I've asked this probably about a dozen times already around here, but does anyone have ANY idea what goes into the KoC fuzz sound during the whammy bit at all? It's just a really thick and heavy fuzz that clips really easily and still manages to maintain a lot of clarity on the notes. I've gotten real close on my HD500 but everytime I try to achieve the tone it's either too thick and fizz-less, or incredibly fizzy and trebley with no low end.

This also goes for the SMBH tone from T2L, for both the general fuzz sound and the synth effect during the choruses. I've tried a lot of things out to get close to the sound for SMBH as well, but yet again, there's still a lot missing, especially for the electronic synthy sounding ping during the choruses.

KOC - keeley fuzz head

SMBH - some kind of bitcrusher/suboctave effect, probably from the axe fx

SMBH I get very close with a Synth patch on my Axe FX that's basically a fuzz patch with an octave down and a sawtooth style synth running through it and Knights I struggle as well to get it sounding as thick as he does without having a real issue with muddiness. I get close using a Marshall patch with two heavy fuzz pedals in it but never close enough to be satisfied with it

SMBH I get very close with a Synth patch on my Axe FX that's basically a fuzz patch with an octave down and a sawtooth style synth running through it and Knights I struggle as well to get it sounding as thick as he does without having a real issue with muddiness. I get close using a Marshall patch with two heavy fuzz pedals in it but never close enough to be satisfied with it

For SMBH I can get really close too but the synth effects on the HD500 aren't exactly Axe FX grade, and the synth effect actually makes the sound more jumbled and muddy. Do you have an example clip of your SMBH patch? I'm curious as to whether or not your tone has that nice harmonic ping on the higher octave strings during the chorus.

Yeah, the Knights fuzz is a big mystery, when Matt slides down and hits that open E at the start of the whammy bit the sound is insanely thick and fizzy but really muddy. The fuzz seems to fade in as well, going by the Rome Olympic Stadium recording, and from Download Festival. Even though it's seemingly really muddy, the notes still have a lot of clarity to them somehow.

KOC - keeley fuzz head

From the video demos i've seen of the fuzz head, I highly doubt it's just that pedal that drives the Knights fuzz sound. The fuzz head just doesn't have enough oomph to it. Unless maybe the fuzz head is put straight into the mixer like what used to be done to the fuzz factory, and it's chained to go right after the Axe's signal chain to really boost into the ridiculous sound, or the other way around I think. I'm not so adept at signal chaining :LOL:

For SMBH I can get really close too but the synth effects on the HD500 aren't exactly Axe FX grade, and the synth effect actually makes the sound more jumbled and muddy. Do you have an example clip of your SMBH patch? I'm curious as to whether or not your tone has that nice harmonic ping on the higher octave strings during the chorus.

Yeah, the Knights fuzz is a big mystery, when Matt slides down and hits that open E at the start of the whammy bit the sound is insanely thick and fizzy but really muddy. The fuzz seems to fade in as well, going by the Rome Olympic Stadium recording, and from Download Festival. Even though it's seemingly really muddy, the notes still have a lot of clarity to them somehow.

I don't have any clips handy at the moment but I just got back from a vacation and have another 2 weeks of uni break so I'll try get one done over the next few days. It certainly has the ping just not quite to the extent that Matt's does yet.

From the video demos i've seen of the fuzz head, I highly doubt it's just that pedal that drives the Knights fuzz sound. The fuzz head just doesn't have enough oomph to it. Unless maybe the fuzz head is put straight into the mixer like what used to be done to the fuzz factory, and it's chained to go right after the Axe's signal chain to really boost into the ridiculous sound, or the other way around I think. I'm not so adept at signal chaining :LOL:

I believe that the fuzz is running in parallel with an overdriven sound so you get thickness, but it retains some dynamics and clarity.

I believe that the fuzz is running in parallel with an overdriven sound so you get thickness, but it retains some dynamics and clarity.

I was thinking the same thing as well, I have my patch set up in the pod with an overdrive pedal running right behind a big muff, it's got the thickness sure but there's just no way to get the actual sound that Matt is getting. Maybe it's the limitations in the pod's programming compared to the Axe. Either way, I can get close to the sound with what I have but the rest of it just isn't there.

Of course, there's still the possibility that he's putting the FF or fuzz head or even both DI into the board like in the BH&R days, that would probably explain the fizziness.

Edited by jonbrown

• 2 weeks later...

I sell 2 tickets to the rock band Muse,i can not go because I had an accident and i am injured.

i pay 1100 kr when i buy them.the concert is on 9 jun. in Copenhagen. price 800 kr negotiable!!! phone number *REMOVED*

Edited by Matthijs
removed phone nr for privacy

(Repost bc old msg glitched for me)

This may seem like quite a basic one, but I am working on a cover of the Live at Rome version of Plug In Baby currently, and I nearly have the fuzz factory tone nailed, but I was wondering if anyone has cracked the exact settings that matt uses? Whilst we're on it, also, does anyone know what Matt's drive and stab controls are set to? If I'm not mistaken, they are internal, and cannot be altered with the integrated FF.

• 1 month later...

When are you gonna wow us all with a clip of that SMBH patch :ninja: