Grammys

KirkBot

Drones may not be their best album, but also this year wasn't a very strong one as far as rock goes. I thought Highly Suspect was very solid, and could have deserved it as well. James Bay is definitely more like folk, blues, or soft rock, and I'm not sure why he was put into that category to begin with.

Drones may not be their best album, but also this year wasn't a very strong one as far as rock goes. I thought Highly Suspect was very solid, and could have deserved it as well. James Bay is definitely more like folk, blues, or soft rock, and I'm not sure why he was put into that category to begin with.

I still think Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase. should've been nominated, but I guess it's too obscure? :stunned:

I still think Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase. should've been nominated, but I guess it's too obscure? :stunned:

I'll admit I don't normally watch the Grammys but, from what I can tell, it's got a heavy focus on popular/mainstream artists and a pretty limited range of awards, hence why Meghan Trainor won best newcomer and Taylor Swift won the general album of the year (not knocking 1989, it's a good album, just saying that's the kind of award show it is). Pretty much anything that isn't pop or hip hop can get lumped in the 'rock' category as well, which is why you see folk and indie stuff in there.

Still, I'm surprised Muse won it though, even if I don't think Drones is particularly award-worthy.

Edited by Jobby

As much as people worship Steven Wilson's solo work, I'll never understand why what I consider all of the worst albums are the most celebrated by his fans. I think looking at his efforts chronologically best captures a decreasing musical quality, with Insurgentes at the apex followed by Grace For Drowning, and so on.

Definitely too obscure in America. Even in the UK I think it was barely acknowledged by mainstream music awards and media.

Damn. I hope this doesn't make me a hipster for liking that album.

I'll admit I don't normally watch the Grammys but, from what I can tell, it's got a heavy focus on popular/mainstream artists and a pretty limited range of awards, hence why Meghan Trainor won best newcomer and Taylor Swift won the general album of the year (not knocking 1984, it's a good album, just saying that's the kind of award show it is). Pretty much anything that isn't pop or hip hop can get lumped in the 'rock' category as well, which is why you see folk and indie stuff in there.

Meghan Trainor won best newcomer? Disgraceful. :mad: Though I will agree with you that 1984 by Van Halen is a good album... unless you mean 1989 by Taylor Swift? :rolleyes:

As much as people worship Steven Wilson's solo work, I'll never understand why what I consider all of the worst albums are the most celebrated by his fans. I think looking at his efforts chronologically best captures a decreasing musical quality, with Insurgentes at the apex followed by Grace For Drowning, and so on.

I've only heard one album by him, so I wouldn't know. Who knows? Maybe Hand. Cannot. Erase. will be his equivalent of The Resistance, in that it gets a lot of new fans like me interested in his work, and then they go back and listen to his other albums.

Meghan Trainor won best newcomer? Disgraceful. :mad: Though I will agree with you that 1984 by Van Halen is a good album... unless you mean 1989 by Taylor Swift? :rolleyes:

Ah yeah, shit, my computer's being dead arsey atm so typos can pop up without me realising. Edited anyway, wouldn't want peeps to think I thought the Van Halen record was better than 1989, phew.

Ah yeah, shit, my computer's being dead arsey atm so typos can pop up without me realising. Edited anyway, wouldn't want peeps to think I thought the Van Halen record was better than 1989, phew.

It's all good. To be honest, I was debating between referencing the Van Halen album or 1984 the Eurythmics' soundtrack to the movie of the same name. I chose the former because I wasn't entirely sure that anyone remembered the latter. :rolleyes: