Beats1 interview :)

Claudia O

That was a really good interview. Very open stuff from Matt, really interesting to hear about all the personal goings-on on the road.

Bit worrying about the future direction of the music though :erm:.

Yeah, I love the interview, too! But the different styles of music Muse have is what I really like about them! Every album is different, I enjoy the rock on Drones. But I also like the experimental side on T2L to name just these two now. When a band stands still (musically) is the most horrible thing for me. So I am excited for their next album, but first let's enjoy the tour ;)

and enjoy Drones! :D

Awwwwwwwwww, don't worry Matt, I'll always stand on your side of the stage. :LOL:

I liked that interview, too. I'm not sure what to think about that whole "one song every few months" thing.

I didn't understand everything tbh, and Matt fell back into his high-speed-chatting :stunned: which I enjoy but ... i think he meant that people listen to single songs every now and then, and not to a whole album in one go?

I didn't understand everything tbh, and Matt fell back into his high-speed-chatting :stunned: which I enjoy but ... i think he meant that people listen to single songs every now and then, and not to a whole album in one go?

Not sure if he meant that, cause the interviewer guy said that nowadays you have way more possibilites to release music. And Matt said something about an album could be more of a "Best Of" then, of all the songs released in that way...

Someone on YouTube said they put the speed on 0.5 and felt stoned then. I tried it, and it's really funny. :chuckle:

But I didn't have many problems understanding him. All those English TV shows really paid off. :D

Not sure if he meant that, cause the interviewer guy said that nowadays you have way more possibilites to release music. And Matt said something about an album could be more of a "Best Of" then, of all the songs released in that way...

Someone on YouTube said they put the speed on 0.5 and felt stoned then. I tried it, and it's really funny. :chuckle:

But I didn't have many problems understanding him. All those English TV shows really paid off. :D

Matt DID say that people don't listen to albums all the way through anymore and he's been saying for years that it's a dying medium. So he has, once again for years, suggested that they release individual songs every now and again instead, and then once they've released enough songs they just put them on a compilation album of sorts.

Yeah I recall an interview in 2008 when Matt suggested this idea, and instead we got The Resistance in a more conventional album format and release.

I don't think as an idea the gradual release of songs has taken off yet, although there was excitement back in June when they were releasing a song with a video a day at one point. Maybe in some respects, the idea of releasing a song a day for a week would be good, but to me, it feels like the surprise album has become more of a thing, although it does look like U2's Songs of Innocence getting mass hate for its spam-like delivery has paused that for now.

This was quite an interesting interview with a lot of different scopes. Not sure if that makes me more or less excited for the tour, but then I felt I wanted to see how it looked before going either way on that one. I liked the mock-rivalry being stirred with Chris Martin. :chuckle:

I wonder how releasing a song at a time works with tours? Wait until the songs are all released and then start touring? Play the songs before releasing them one-by-one?

Regardless, the most worrying part of the interview was hearing their musical direction for the next album

I think Dom previously suggested going in a more electronic or even rap-influenced direction for the next record when he did an interview in Hong Kong. But there was nothing in the Beats1 piece from Matt hinting what's next.

Presumably we won't get many on that front until the Drones Tour is done, or nearing completion, although as far as I remember, they were talking about pursing a more rock-styled direction in summer 2013.

Unless I'm missing some slang I'm not familiar with, I thought all Matt said was that he doesn't want to do the massive live takes for the album that Mutt made them do for this one, and rather do a lot of post-editing copy/paste again.

There was a big discussion near the end on how albums are going a bit outdated and Matt said that a song per few month release and then a final compilation after a period of many released songs.

On paper, it doesn't sound too bad. However, with a band with as big of a loyal fan base as Muse I don't think the "single per month" method would really work.

They could just, y'know, release more music? It's taken them three years to create 10 new tracks, one of which (Psycho) is a nish-mash of bits they had lying around, while others cannibalise their own existing music and that of others (ahem, Nimrod).

It's a shame Muse aren't prolific any more. I bet half the stuff left on the cutting room floor is great. When Ash did A-Z, they also released nearly the same amount of b-sides too. 50 or so songs in a year, most of them great, with a few covers thrown in too.

It wouldn't have taken Muse more than a day to record a cover or two like Sign Of The Times...

And? It's not like they need to do any of that themselves. And why couldn't they get all that done in a day? Not everything has to be absolute perfection every time. I'd like to hear a few more rough and ready recordings by Muse, live takes, etc.