i know you're thinking "oh this is just another kid who wants to be matt b3ll0rz!!!!11!11! lawl!11!!one!11!" well, no actually. I wouldn't want to be anyone else, even the great fabled bellorz. I'm not just stuffing it in for the sake of it. It'll be done tastefuly, and if it sounds or looks shit, i'll take it apart and use the bits seperately. so build a bridge and get over it, cos no-one likes an unhelpful prick.

not getting womany. He's just having a little bitch session, and i don't care for that. I honestly couldn't give a fuck what people think about my guitars. Yeah it's nice when people say they look good, but when people say they don't like something, and give reasons why (like fernando did with the head) that's also helpful. As a student of architecture, i'm used to being told that my ideas dont work, but they're ALWAYS backed up with an explanation.

Detail 1:

Fernando explained how he felt the headstock didn't go well with the above guitar due to the use of points and curves. Very valid point, and i can see where he's coming from. I did not get bitchy with him, because there is no reason to. I appreciate his point, took it into consideration, and drew from that the conclusion that changing the head is a bit tedious for my first build. Problem resolved.

Detail 2:

johnno bitches with no valid point, no basis, and no opinion to back it up. Therefore, his argument is null and void, and is a waste of both my time, and his. He can sit there and bitch about ffs and KPs in guitars, but without any reason why he doesn't like it, as far as i'm concerned, he can go fuck himself with that attitude and stop giving negative opinions of my work for the sake of it. If he has a valid reason why he doesn't like the idea behind my design, i'm open to constructive criticism.

ok

how do i go about routing my strat for a bridge humbucker? (I know, that's evil...)

chisel or something else?

Use a router and a template, I know stew-mac have templates but they are quite expensive for something that you can make yourself. You will need a router bit with a bearing on the top also.

If in doubt try over at projectguitar.com , they have many guides and their forum is full of people who will guide you through it step by step.

ok

how do i go about routing my strat for a bridge humbucker? (I know, that's evil...)

chisel or something else?

i used a chissle and just went really slowly, and mine turned out really well. With a chissle, if you make a mistake, it's usually only a little chip and is easily filled with a filler. If your router slips and you make a big mistake, it's harder to fill, particularly if you don't have a template.

with a chisel you have less control over what the wood will do. if you go in a little too deep you could gouge out a huge piece where you didnt want to. a router really is the best option. if you had a drill press you could drill it out with some brad point bits

+1

Using a drill press/pillar drill is a very good idea, take out most of the wood using a forstner bit then tidy up the edges with router and template. This avoids tear-out and a whole load of problems.

so i got new automotive metalflake to make it easier to apply than the glitter and because the glitter melts in the 2 pack clear. tried it in my airbrush, clogs it up and wont work. ok, i thought, put it in the spraygun instead. wont get as much control but ah well. wont get much of anything. wont go through that either. cant afford to get a new nozzle that'll let the metalflake through so its back to doing it how i did it last time. damn it. i hate this stupid glittery thing.

cant afford to get a new nozzle that'll let the metalflake through so its back to doing it how i did it last time. damn it. i hate this stupid glittery thing.

Are you using an expensive spraygun at the moment? I've shot mica and metalflake through one of these in the past with no problem at all.

If you're using a DeVilbiss/Sag/etc at the moment (and thus nozzles/needles are £££), you could do worse than try one of those Clarkes. If it doesn't work you could always stick it back in the box and get a refund.

Might be worth asking the auto paint suppliers whether they've got any smaller metalflake too - you can get it in a variety of sizes so maybe they gave you a big one?

Archived