Drones Deluxe Edition DVD Discussion

outside_now

Feel free to delete this if similar thread already exists (I looked but couldn't find one). Just thought we could do with a place to discuss the bonus DVD on the Drones deluxe edition.

So - thoughts on the live versions of Psycho, Dead Inside, The Handler and Reapers, as well as the studio footage? Prefer it to The 2nd Law and The Resistance DVDs? Fire away!

Bit disappointed with it but at an extra £3 there's not much to really complain about tbh. The live performances are pretty good, and what studio stuff we get is ok as well. I would have preferred a lot more content (including Futurism, MM etc from the tour) and would have been willing to pay a lot more for a substantial DVD, so perhaps a lost opportunity for Muse. But meh, as I said most of my complaints are nitpicking because for £3 extra, I suppose it's fair to not receive a huge amount of footage.

I pretty much concur. I was thrilled to see Psycho from the Barrowlands on there - I can just about make myself out at the front and it's a good flavour of just how lively the whole gig was.

I'm a little irritated that EVERYTHING is in black and white - it works for some stuff, but it feels a little bleak when it's everything. But yeah, for an extra £3, can't complain at all.

Also found it fascinating and quite funny to see them a little annoyed at Mutt Lange for working them so hard!

Agree about the irritating use of black and white, but I had suspected as much from the IG videos being posted.

The Making Of being as short as it is is incredibly weak, though.

The songs ended up being a bit of a letdown, for me, as well, just simply because there ended up being many other pro-shots of those songs that I saw before the release, minus The Handler, which I thought lacked real impact being a soundcheck.

All in all, the Deluxe set costs about $5 more, and I probably would have opted for the cheaper one.

I'm so disappointed that the Making Of was so short. Something I really look forward to watching with each new Muse album. Maybe if it hadn't have leaked months ago it wouldn't be so bad.

The live stuff is cool, but as other people have said, would be even better with all the rare stuff they played on that tour.

Bit of a shame really.

The Making Ofs have been pretty guff since Absolution's so I'm not too fussed about it being short tbh. I still think it would've been way better to have 2 or 3 rarities from the Psycho tour on there instead of that and The Handler soundcheck (which is pretty boring imo).

For me, tracklist should've been this:

1 - Psycho (Live At Glasgow Barrowland)

2 - The Groove (Live At Manchester Academy)

3 - Dead Inside (Live At Brighton Dome)

4 - Muscle Museum (Live At Exeter Great Hall)

5 - Assassin (Live At Newport Centre)

6 - Reapers (Live At Exeter Great Hall)

Edited by Jobby

For me, tracklist should've been this:

1 - Psycho (Live At Glasgow Barrowland)

2 - The Groove (Live At Manchester Academy)

3 - Dead Inside (Live At Brighton Dome)

4 - Muscle Museum (Live At Exeter Great Hall)

5 - Assassin (Live At Newport Centre)

6 - Reapers (Live At Exeter Great Hall)

Same, although I'd replace The Groove with either the one from Brighton (sorry) or Futurism (Exeter)

Edit: and keep The Handler soundcheck

Edited by LewisF

To be very honest, the black and white killed everything for me.

I guess I was okay with it during the Handler, as it wasn't a very energetic performance being a soundcheck, but I was really interested in seeing a good shot of Reapers, and the bw sucked the life out of it completely.

What the hell is with Tom's continually increasing choice to use greyscale?

Kills all the energy and life from the video, and isn't "artistic" in the slightest.

Makes me actually kind of glad the rarities didn't show up, so I don't have to be disappointed in them.

If I ever get my money back for the busted up box set I was sent, I'll probably end up just buying the normal version of the CD or grabbing the rest of it on iTunes, this time around.