Are there any exercises that you would suggest to make me a better player?

Or is it just a case of keep playing?

Listen to music passively and always listen to drumming that's way over your head. Eg: when I first listened to the robotic solo in Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt I thought ho. ly. shit. and gave up on it (I couldn't even count it, the time signature was all over the place, 7/8, 9/8, 11/8 changing all the time). Put TTVCT on a couple of times while I was playing Warcraft as background music and I absorbed the music and can now play it note for note. Same for Lateralus by Tool (9/8, 8/8, 7/8).

Listen to music passively and always listen to drumming that's way over your head. Eg: when I first listened to the robotic solo in Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt I thought ho. ly. shit. and gave up on it (I couldn't even count it, the time signature was all over the place, 7/8, 9/8, 11/8 changing all the time). Put TTVCT on a couple of times while I was playing Warcraft as background music and I absorbed the music and can now play it note for note. Same for Lateralus by Tool (9/8, 8/8, 7/8).

i agree, thats how i learnt :D

never had a lesson, picked up 4/4, 3/4/ 6/8 pretty easily i can play them fluently now changing within a song.

listen to dream theater, changed the whole concept of time signatures for me. i can now play 7/8 and 7/4 easily. id love to learn more 8/8 and 9/8 sound very intresting...

HAHAHAHAHAHA:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i should be able to manufacture something to hold it onto a boom stand, my Dad's obsessed with metal work and engineering, he's customised my hi hat stand to make it more powerful and durable, fancy selling your crasher mr richie jazz?:D

lol no fraid not: im gonna try find a boom arm i dont need and cut off the screw bit of the cymbal mount - should work i think... they do have a stupid design though........your dad should patent something!!

Wouldn't 8/8 equate to 4/4?

not necessarily... in essence yes, but (and i dont totally know why, but my music teacher was telling me something about it) tis something to do with the feeling and general rhythm of the piece... thats why you have stuff like 3/4 and 6/8 instead of just one of them.

not necessarily... in essence yes, but (and i dont totally know why, but my music teacher was telling me something about it) tis something to do with the feeling and general rhythm of the piece... thats why you have stuff like 3/4 and 6/8 instead of just one of them.

Well, I see how 3/4 and 6/8 are split up, but...how are 4/4 and 8/8 split?

Guest bshuker

essentially, but if you are playing a piece using stuff with 8/8 you'd probably find a lot of other bars with 9/8s or 7/8s.

imagine going along playing a piece in 8/8 then having a bar of 9/8 and then 7/8, it'd be easy enough to keep the beat, if you were in 4/4 then skipped to a 7/8 it'd be really difficult to keep the right feel

Guest bshuker
Well, I see how 3/4 and 6/8 are split up, but...how are 4/4 and 8/8 split?

You have to understand what the top and bottom numbers mean!

The top number is how many beats in a bar, the bottom number is what value each of those beats are. So a bar of 4/4 has 4 crotchets. A bar of 8/8 has 8 quavers.

Yeah I suppose it would but if you play Lateralus, for example, it has phrasings that consist of one measure of 9/8, 8/8 then 7/8, if it was 9/8, 4/4, 7/8, you'd have to count at half speed for one measure to stay in time (if you count at all).

sorry if this has already been asked but i don't want to look through 74 pages of posts.

is dom's snare on the current tour a ludwig black beauty, a ludwig supraphonic in brass, or a tama artwood maple snare? i'm looking at the reading and leeds festival. i think its a supraphonic in brass because of its look and the lug style. but i'm not positive. any guesses?

Yeah I suppose it would but if you play Lateralus, for example, it has phrasings that consist of one measure of 9/8, 8/8 then 7/8, if it was 9/8, 4/4, 7/8, you'd have to count at half speed for one measure to stay in time (if you count at all).

What are you incinuating with your parenthesis?

I'm thinking mathematically here (AS Level student here):

So a bar of 4/4 has 4 crotchets. A bar of 8/8 has 8 quavers.

From my point of view, they're the same, because I look at time signatures like fractions. Saying that there are 8 quavers in 8/8 and 4 crotchets in 4/4 is no help to me, because to me (and hopefully to anyone else) 8 quavers = 4 crotchets, hence 8/8 = 4/4.

Now, back to Niles' point, if I'm playing quavers on, say, the ride during a piece, then surely whether I'm playing 8/8 or 4/4 is irrelavent, because in the end, I'm playing the same thing?

great song, confused the hell out of me when i first heard that. :)

What are you incinuating with your parenthesis?

I'm thinking mathematically here (AS Level student here):

relax dude, he means if you were to count while you were playing, this is how you would count it... 9/8 8/8 7/8

I assume Niles doesnt count while playing lateralus, like me... instead you just feel the beat.

Now, back to Niles' point, if I'm playing quavers on, say, the ride during a piece, then surely whether I'm playing 8/8 or 4/4 is irrelavent, because in the end, I'm playing the same thing?

Niles already explained it pretty clearly. If you are switching between 9/8 8/8 7/8 for example, then it makes sense to have the time signature as 8/8 for convenience when counting (assuming you count at all)

relax dude, he means if you were to count while you were playing, this is how you would count it... 9/8 8/8 7/8

I assume Niles doesnt count while playing lateralus, like me... instead you just feel the beat.

Niles already explained it pretty clearly. If you are switching between 9/8 8/8 7/8 for example, then it makes sense to have the time signature as 8/8 for convenience when counting (assuming you count at all)

*light bulb suddenly lights up* Gotcha

sorry if this has already been asked but i don't want to look through 74 pages of posts.

is dom's snare on the current tour a ludwig black beauty, a ludwig supraphonic in brass, or a tama artwood maple snare? i'm looking at the reading and leeds festival. i think its a supraphonic in brass because of its look and the lug style. but i'm not positive. any guesses?

He's never used the Artwood and there's no such thing as a brass supra (only chrome over brass and nickel over brass (black beauty)). It's brass, has hideous Tama bridge lugs and a hairline finish. It is none other than the Tama Power Metal Brass snare (not the Starclassic Bell Brass).

That's what I was saying, not taking the piss.

Anyone got a drum tab for Take a Bow?

???? How is reading a sheet of pseudo-music more enlightening than just listening to the song (like the person who wrote the tab did)? I could even understand it if we were talking about something with a remotely interesting and/or dynamic rhythm but this is a Muse song

???? How is reading a sheet of pseudo-music more enlightening than just listening to the song (like the person who wrote the tab did)? I could even understand it if we were talking about something with a remotely interesting and/or dynamic rhythm but this is a Muse song

I never said it was more enlightening, I just know how good some of the drummers are on this board, for example the tab for Assassin was brilliant. I myself am not a drummer and would not be able to work it all out, but I do not a tab in order to make a good guitar pro file and cover the song in my band. The drum bit does have some interesting fills, so just in future if you don't have a tab for it then shut up, you don't need to tell me what you think of my question. I just wanted a tab, if there isn't one then there isn't one.

for example the tab for Assassin was brilliant.

athankyaw :happy:

what bit of Take A Bow do you need.

The whole song is quite simple

A floor tom / snare / bass / hi-hat foot build up

Then a bass drum on every beat - a ride cymbal on every beat and a snare drum on ever other first beat (its in 3/4)

R|x---x---x---|x---x---x---|
S|------------|x-----------|
B|x---x---x---|x---x---x---|

every now and then he does a little roll thing too on the snare

and a bit later in the song he adds an extra snare in there too.

the fills are (in order)

1) Exactly the same as the assassin fill - but shorter

(i think its this)

R|x-----------|
T|-----x------|
S|x-xx----F---|
F|------x-----|
B|x---x--x--x-|

2)

R|------------|
T|----x-------|
S|F-------F---|
F|----x-------|
B|--x---x---x-|

3)(both hands on snare on each snare hit)

R|------------|
T|--x---x-----|
S|x---x---x---|
F|--x---x-----|
B|-x-x-x-x--x-|

When i get some free time ill tab it out in full...