The ride's highly sensual surface

It's quite unfortunate Innovations is discontinued now but I think some models with that Sonic Texture Formula were integrated into the 2oo2 line. Paiste crashes are very nice but they do not make a single ride or pair of hats that I can get into.

Well not all of them, we haven't got any drum shops that extensive in Australia. I did try a large number of them from the Sig, 2oo2 and RUDE lines (and the rest I listened to online, paiste sound clips are reputed to be of very high accuracy) and all the hats sounded too harsh and cold. Paiste has very few dry rides and all of those were, again, too cold and pingy. i just look for different qualities in rides and hats to crashes and while the alloys Paiste uses make great crashes (2oo2 regulars, in particular) they just can't capture a good ride or hat sound, IMO. The ones that came closest to my sound were the 22" heavy ride (the sound clip didn't capture how pingy it really was) and 14" crunch hats (still had that harsh brightness), both from the 2oo2 line.

Hi, Guys. I thought I'd introduce myself here and bump this thread up a bit at the same time. My name's Dan I play a Mapex Saturn kit in a band called AKP who everyone seems to think sound like Muse. I also teach drums and run a recording/rehearsal complex in York, England. I see a few posts back that Niles had built his own acrylic kit from bit off ebay. I did a similar thing myself, bought an old Pearl kit, rewrapped it and had all the hoops and lugs powder coated. Got some pictures here. If you're thinking of doing something yourselves, do so. It wasn't expensive for a solid colour wrap and the powder coating was inexpensive and really professionally done. The kick drum hoops don't match and there are a few screws that need replacing to get it perfect but it's been a great project and really fun.

http://www.rehearsalrooms.co.uk

http://www.akp.org.uk

1464808892_StuntKit3.jpg.3626751e6fc90f29cf46340d05478b96.jpg

303236474_StuntKit1.jpg.5babbafdb1ed565313440cef48b8032e.jpg

114408062_StuntKit2.jpg.fbf0c262ccd0a884e96dbde86ba11f90.jpg

Hi, Guys. I thought I'd introduce myself here and bump this thread up a bit at the same time. My name's Dan I play a Mapex Saturn kit in a band called AKP who everyone seems to think sound like Muse. I also teach drums and run a recording/rehearsal complex in York, England. I see a few posts back that Niles had built his own acrylic kit from bit off ebay. I did a similar thing myself, bought an old Pearl kit, rewrapped it and had all the hoops and lugs powder coated. Got some pictures here. If you're thinking of doing something yourselves, do so. It wasn't expensive for a solid colour wrap and the powder coating was inexpensive and really professionally done. The kick drum hoops don't match and there are a few screws that need replacing to get it perfect but it's been a great project and really fun.

http://www.rehearsalrooms.co.uk

http://www.akp.org.uk

That's a sweet looking Kit there.

Any cymbals to share with us, possibly?

That's a sweet looking Kit there.

Any cymbals to share with us, possibly?

It was just the drums I did up, didn't have any hardware or cymbals with it. I've just sold it actually.

Here's the kit I play on myself. It's a Mapex Saturn, fantastic kit. They're 6 ply shells, 2 walnut and 4 maple with a hand laquered finish. 13X4 inch brass shell snare and Zildjian A custom hats/crashes and Z custom ride.

http://board.muse.mu/showpost.php?p=2276162&postcount=5450

It was just the drums I did up, didn't have any hardware or cymbals with it. I've just sold it actually.

Here's the kit I play on myself. It's a Mapex Saturn, fantastic kit. They're 6 ply shells, 2 walnut and 4 maple with a hand laquered finish. 13X4 inch brass shell snare and Zildjian A custom hats/crashes and Z custom ride.

http://board.muse.mu/showpost.php?p=2276162&postcount=5450

Lucky fucker! I want those Crashes! =[ Along with K Custom Dry 'Hats and Ride, and an Oriental Trash Splash and China Trash.

Lucky fucker! I want those Crashes! =[ Along with K Custom Dry 'Hats and Ride, and an Oriental Trash Splash and China Trash.

Doms set up? ;)

I have 18" + 19" A custom crashes

and the 18" Oriental China Trash

Next up the K 14" hats and 22" ride

and then the splashes....:D

Doms set up? ;)

I have 18" + 19" A custom crashes

and the 18" Oriental China Trash

and then the splashes....:D

Funny, those are the measurements I want. :LOL:

I only really want one splash: the 11" Oriental Trash Splash. =]

And well...yeah, it is. But hey, surely it's good if other people want it too?

I'm after a china to go with the A customs (They're 'fast' crashes) any recommendations? I like small cymbals but the size doesn't seem to affect a china's voice in my limited experience. I'd prefer to stick with bright finish Zildjians where possible. Also want a Zil-bel too but perhapse I'm now just being greedy and will probably never use it. Anyone got one?

I play a Mapex Saturn

Very noice. Is that laser canary?

But hey, surely it's good if other people want it too?

Please please please please please please tell me that was either one hell of a typo or that you've recognized how stupid a thought it was in the interim between posting and coming back to the board.

Yeah... fuck originality! And fuck every other cymbal brand! This is why Zildjian loves its high profile endorsers. I bet they buy Dom a beer when someone gets his exact cymbal set.

with a hand laquered finish

:D Is it significant that it's a hand finished drum?

bright finish

You do know that shiny cymbals are darker than traditionally finished ones?

I'd prefer to stick with bright finish Zildjians

If you're concerned primarily with buying a nice shiny zildjian over a cymbal that will sound good why not just go and try some yourself. The only brilliant finish Zildjian chinas are Z Custom, A Custom and FX Oriental.

Also want a Zil-bel too but perhapse I'm now just being greedy and will probably never use it. Anyone got one?

A Z Custom ride has about four times more bell than any other cymbal, you're already ahead IMO.

I like small cymbals but the size doesn't seem to affect a china's voice in my limited experience.

Have you ever heard a 27" Wuhan? And then compared it to... a 12"? Size affects a china cymbal like any other, bigger is darker, longer, slower, louder and more complex. If you like power splashes (<18") I'd suggest a china of similar dimensions.

Yeah... fuck originality! And fuck every other cymbal brand! This is why Zildjian loves its high profile endorsers. I bet they buy Dom a beer when someone gets his exact cymbal set.

They sound great! I like the sound and want to sound the same.

Its like having a 'walnut whip' and and a 'galaxy caramel'. Im going to go for the galaxy caramel because ive tasted it and really liked it as opposed to the walnut whip which i hate.

And thats the whole reason why drummers get endorsed!

PLUS its not just Dom who uses a similar combination....(Travis Barker does :$)

They sound great!

I know you have tried them and like them but Origin on the other page is buying them because other people have got them. And all identical Zildjians sound different.

Its like having a 'walnut whip' and and a 'galaxy caramel'. Im going to go for the galaxy caramel because ive tasted it and really liked it as opposed to the walnut whip which i hate.

I haven't tried either the caramel or the walnut. :(

And thats the whole reason why drummers get endorsed!

I could have sworn it was to get free product of a brand they personally like and allows then to devise personal cymbal sets that allow them to express themselves as individuals.

PLUS its not just Dom who uses a similar combination....(Travis Barker does )

Trav uses Z Custom crashes and an Avedis sweet ride.

Drummers endorse companies, not vice versa.

I know that ;)

Maybe I misunderstood ADAM then, I thought he was replying to you talking about people only buying products of a certain company because someone they like endorses them, and hence the company "endorsing" that someone so they'll sell more stuff. Or something like that. *cough*

Is this right? :

jeff plays the drums in the band 'flort'

jeff uses 14" z custom hats and a 20" oriental crash

zildjian endorse him (jeff) because they know that little jimmy will see jeff and want to buy the same cymbals as him - thus making zildjian profit.

In return zildjian give jeff free cymbals

Is that how it works?

zildjian endorse him (jeff)

Zildjian sponsor jeff (by giving him discounted product) because he endorses Zildjian and they hope they'll make more money off little jimmy than they'll lose to jeff.

and hence the company "endorsing" that someone so they'll sell more stuff

A company can't endorse anybody unless they send reps out wearing jeff t-shirts. Samantha Zildjian can't drink a refreshing can of jeff in an ad at the cinema. The only endorsing going on is done by the artist.

Zildjian sponsor jeff (by giving him discounted product) because he endorses Zildjian and they hope they'll make more money off little jimmy than they'll lose to jeff.

ahhhh! i see! thats what i meant earlier then! lol