Are you on drugs?

Does alcohol count? (I live on campus)

you own a shop... wow.. most people who own isntrument shops. Are the rejects that the bands they were in threw them out cause they wernt good enough,

Got your career mapped out already? For a 16 year old you have remarkable foresight.

are more mature than yourself.

Clearly.

or else i wouldnt be interested in this thread

See? I knew you cared!

go and find yourself a wife

:confused: I'm 19!

Does alcohol count? (I live on campus)]

No ones impressed...

Got your career mapped out already? For a 16 year old you have remarkable foresight.,

..this has no relevance to anything i have said.

Clearly.

First intelligent thing youve said

i'd join in on kicking no3chris because door of conclusion made my ears bleed.

thats absolute ace how u remember that,

and u dont think they made my ears bleed?

ive only just started to write "good" songs with the revamped band lmao

*sigh* im not picking no fight, im sticking up for myself because a 19 year old hangs aobut on a message board insulting me.. a 16 year old

and i called him gay and questioned a relationship. because that always pisses people off

*sigh* im not picking no fight, im sticking up for myself because a 19 year old hangs aobut on a message board insulting me.. a 16 year old

Hold on a min, let's just illustrate what "picking on" means to you.

This is arranged chronologically from eariest to latest:

One tom is so much cooler nowadays, look much better than 2 anyway

the 2 tom look is so "school drumkit"

lmao..

OMG LOLZ.

You can understand why one would would gladly fuck up their tom placements so that it looks "cooler"? Gee, the school drum kit seems to work well enough for Daniel Adair, and Dom, too in Stockholm Syndrom USA.

leave ur GAY

OMG LOLZ alone

think you'll find loads of people use one tom, and they manage fine.

2 toms.. dosnt make you a better drummer. and yes..

it does look better..

do u think matts a cock cause he got his silver manson silver instead of plain wood :S...

same reasoning.

I start getting a little long winded here: http://board.muse.mu/showpost.php?p=1909566&postcount=370

Niles.. shut up and rag rolf harris, ur doing my box in

are you mike portnoy in disguise?

i didnt realise you were THE drum god..

if u give a fuck so much about doms kit, go and bash him out.

we.. dont care

Really sodding long winded reply: http://board.muse.mu/showpost.php?p=1918278&postcount=394

So I was picking on you... yet you fired first. No one cares that you're younger than me, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Curiously being called gay is one of the things that irritates me the least; I'm very secure in my sexuality. Just in case, though, I asked one of my gay friends and hey told me I'm not.

i fired first :S... you took the piss out of me ...

By asking if you think looks are more important than playability?

... you had to ask gays.. if you are gay...?? wot.. weirdo

Sarcasm is lost on you "real people", isn't it?

I was just looking at the post about him using a DW-9000 pedal - does he have two of them setup for double kick?

Nope.

Does anyone know of any other times he's used it?

Start of Cave on Hullabaloo.

It's just that I really don't think he uses it on any records

Nope.

Anyone know for sure?

Yep. :D

http://www.musewiki.org/Drums

I'd like to think this is the most comprehensive article on Doms drums that exists on the net.

ALTHOUGH - if you have your cymbals parrallel to the ground, you can't really get many sounds out of them - any maybe it is bad for them. Plus, your sticks would get chopped up.

And you'll break your cymbals, but who cares about that? If your sticks are getting chopped up from your crashes your be needing new cymbals soon.

I do get annoyed sometimes at how people just set up their kits so it looks good!! I think there is a thin line though.. for drummers who only play rock, having high up, parrallel to the ground cymbals would be much easier - and probably looks better in their opinions too (which apparently matters).

The ONLY way to set up your kit is so that it's comfortable. It doesn't depend on genre or style of music, nor look of the kit, playability is paramount.

There are certain ways that people talk about that allow you to make the most musical sounds out of your drums and cymbals.. but that doens't mean having your cymbal or drum at a different angle or position to that is wrong.

Yes it does. If your cymbals are too high you can only play down into them or crash directly into the edge, wrong on both counts. Note that if you play "though" your cymbals and not pull back immediately the stick contact chokes them off. This is called overplaying. You expend more energy, your movements are less fluid, your stick is engaged for longer, you break your cymbals and even though you're playing harder you're getting less noise. There is no argument for bad technique.

Dom plays rock - he plays loud and uses his cymbals for loud crashing or using the crash in a rock beat (on all crotchets etc). I don't think he's really too concerned about sounds..

Of course he's concerned about sound. What do you suppose music is? He crashes his cymbals? That's all crashes are good for. They make crap rides and have weak bells.

I'm sure he cares a fair bit about what his kit looks like - and the fashion seems to be to have high up, parrallel to the ground cymbals, having the hi-hats up as high as they can go:p, flat, thin toms etc. There's probably a fair bit of that in there too.

No doubt, playability is paramount though.

I feel like I'm reapeating myself... oh yes:

http://board.muse.mu/showpost.php?p=1908765&postcount=360

House is on, bye.

FFS guys! Shut the hell up! Its not 'cool' to fight over a message board. The bigger person will just leave it....jeeze....

and david, although you're 'a middle man', in two posts you've had a go at chris! Leave the guy alone and dont take sides!

Gawd...:rolleyes:

However - I agree with you - this is a thread called 'Doms Drums'....lets keep it that way 'eh? ;)

As for those of you who said you didn't like the Eliminator pedal because it didn't look good - you should probably think about playability and stuff first I reckon!

I did. I tried them all in the shop (aboyt 20!!!). I prefered the Iron Cobra - and a benefit of that was that it was the better looking out of them all! :p

but I quite liked that the Pearl pedal came with its own case - I don't know if any of the pedals have that.

The Iron Cobra comes with its own hard case.

if you have your cymbals parrallel to the ground, you can't really get many sounds out of them

You can get more sounds from near-parallel cymbals than you can very-angled ones! You can strike it on the side to get a thundering crash or hit it on the top to get a more mellow, quieter one. With angled cymbals you cant get the thundery crash :stunned:

PLUS, with the tilted cymbal resting on the sleeve more than the felt washer it will casue more damage to your sleeves and the erosion will transfer into your cymbal.....SURELY....

You can strike it on the side to get a thundering crash or hit it on the top to get a more mellow, quieter one.

Or you can just hit it less hard. Seriously, are you saying it's easier to hit the bough on a cymbal that's parallel to the floor to one that's angled a bit towards you?

With angled cymbals you cant get the thundery crash

If you can't easily hit the edge for a "thundery crash" they're angled too deep. What kind of angling are you talking about?

PLUS, with the tilted cymbal resting on the sleeve more than the felt washer it will casue more damage to your sleeves and the erosion will transfer into your cymbal.....SURELY....

The sleeves are made of nylon, the cymbal is made of metal. What do you think?

Seriously, are you saying it's easier to hit the bough on a cymbal that's parallel to the floor to one that's angled a bit towards you?

No - im saying that you cant get the same thundery crash from a tilted cymbal that you can a near-parallel one.

If you can't easily hit the edge for a "thundery crash" they're angled too deep. What kind of angling are you talking about?

No you've mis-understood. Thundery crash = near-parallel cymbals (which i have). You cant get that with a tilted cymbal as much. They 'ping' rather than 'crash'.

The sleeves are made of nylon, the cymbal is made of metal. What do you think?

Rock is made of rock - water is made of water - erosion still occurs. Ok so metal vs. nylon wont cause deep gouges in your cymbals, but it will weaken the hole over time and may lead to cracks as opposed to a flat cymbal that sits on the felt washer.

No - im saying that you cant get the same thundery crash from a tilted cymbal that you can a near-parallel one.

This'd be alot easier if you'd you real terms for describing cymbals. Is this "thundery crash" an edge crash or a bough crash?

No you've mis-understood. Thundery crash = near-parallel cymbals (which i have). You cant get that with a tilted cymbal as much. They 'ping' rather than 'crash'.

I'm forgiven for the fact that descriptors like "thundery crash" are incomprehensible. The angle they're positioned at doesn't affect what sounds they can produce just how easy it is to get your arm in the right spot. If they ping it means you're hitting them with the bead of the stick and that's not crashing at all. That's just using your crash as a ride. Now I don't know what kind of crazy angles angles you're thinking of but here're examples of what I mean:

The 18" 2oo2 Medium (on our right):

JB_Knebworth_UK_aug_1979-03.jpg

The 18" A Custom:

domscymbal.jpg

Depending on ones height, and working under the assumption that one wants to practice proper technique, the heigher the cymbal is the more angled it must be so that it can be struck properly.

Rock is made of rock - water is made of water - erosion still occurs.

Now think about the timeframe.

Ok so metal vs. nylon wont cause deep gouges in your cymbals, but it will weaken the hole over time and may lead to cracks as opposed to a flat cymbal that sits on the felt washer.

Yes. The damage that the cymbal takes from being angled parallel and too high will have killed it centuries earlier.

This'd be alot easier if you'd you real terms for describing cymbals. Is this "thundery crash" an edge crash or a bough crash?...I'm forgiven for the fact that descriptors like "thundery crash" are incomprehensible.

Oh Im sorry - i thought being a drum expert you are you would have been able to understand.

I angle my cymbals at approximately 87 degress from the ground give or take a few, thus making them almost parallel. I find this the optimum angle for carrying out bough crashes and edge crashes and even able to reach the bell if need be.

Due to the fact that that I have them at this angle I am able to achieve an 'edge-crash' a lot eaier than if they were tilted.

Depending on ones height, and working under the assumption that one wants to practice proper technique, the heigher the cymbal is the more angled it must be so that it can be struck properly.

Agreed. I have them at eye level. QUite like:

This:

domscymbal.jpg

(and isnt this a picture of the cymbal moving after being struck?)

Now think about the timeframe.

It was an example.

Yes. The damage that the cymbal takes from being angled parallel and too high will have killed it centuries earlier.

Regardless of what its made of, you will still be putting pressure on the hole of the cymbal, thus weakening it or restricting its resonance.

domscymbal.jpg

thought that was an A Custom 19"?

omg, this thread is so confusing...ok, i never read it all..so i'll just make my questions and pardon me if that was answered sometime before ok?!

- Is Dom still using Zildjian cymbals?? cuz on the video of map of the problematique, the hi-hat he's using is different from the one he's used to.I noticed the crash was different as well..not sure though.

- Can someone explain me the thing about that snare? I dunno if it was the playback thing..or if he'll use a different snare for that song....sounds very nice though!

- I read something about Dom using a DW9000 (or something). Did he change the HP900? gosh! I love that iron cobra :$ Anyway...anything by DW is f...... great!!

ok, i think i just need an update!

- Is Dom still using Zildjian cymbals?? cuz on the video of map of the problematique, the hi-hat he's using is different from the one he's used to.I noticed the crash was different as well..not sure though.

- Can someone explain me the thing about that snare? I dunno if it was the playback thing..or if he'll use a different snare for that song....sounds very nice though!

- I read something about Dom using a DW9000 (or something). Did he change the HP900? gosh! I love that iron cobra :$ Anyway...anything by DW is f...... great!!

ok, i think i just need an update!

i'm pretty sure dom is still using zildjians.

apparently he has stopped using iron cobra's. i think most people think its a DW pedal. not too sure though as i don't really read or post in this thread much either.

can't help you with the snare as i havent' seen this video for map of the problematique?? though i know that he has several snares that he uses for recording; starclassic snares, ludwig black beauty, and DW snare

Oh Im sorry - i thought being a drum expert you are you would have been able to understand.

Even if I'd been a drum tech I still wouldn't have a clue what a "thundery crash" was, or any other non-descript adjectives.

(and isnt this a picture of the cymbal moving after being struck?)

No. It's the chorus of Space Dementia: no cymbals.

thought that was an A Custom 19"?

Well it's not.

Yes, he is. Zildjian make more that one type of hihat. In video clips he often uses all Avedis cymbals.

He's using acrylic drums now. But with EQ you can make the drum sound unrecognizable.

Regardless of what its made of, you will still be putting pressure on the hole of the cymbal, thus weakening it or restricting its resonance.

My god, the bell of the cymbal (ie, the resonator) is sitting on a lovely dampening felt mat and you're quibbling about the infinitessimally tiny portion of sound restriction caused by the inside of the centre hole touching nylon? It takes more damage when you accidentally scrape it against the screw thread taking it off the stand! This is absurd. Any angling at all means the weight vector of the cymbal at rest is pushing slightly against the core of the stand and even if they were perfectly flat (which is what I was talking about from the very beginning) the same contact ocurrs every time you hit it.