What makes you say it was earlier than expected? A stream 1 week before release is normal for big releases

People are using the wrong words all the time. "Stream" here used to refer to JBHifi which had the album uploaded for "members only" streaming, à la Spotify Premium type thing except the general public could not listen to the album. Someone passed around account info. The real "stream" went up days later on The Guardian.

I'm talking about Mutt humming it... Well technically you're right it's not a hum. He goes "da-da-da-da" :p and it sounds like the ear plug riff/solo

Oh you mean that! I thought you were talking about the little high guitar but thats played just before Mutt does the humming thing.

I think it the theory could be right but it's a bit of a reach IMO.

I think it's a bad idea for them to play new songs in a live setting before we hear the studio versions, might have worked a few years back but with the level of intense scrutiny and nitpicking, something like Reapers is probably only gonna disappoint people now I reckon.

Totally agree with you.

Think about it, if we hadn't heard reapers at all and first heard the album version, we wouldn't have any expectations at all and would be like "God damn this song kicks ass!"

And then when we hear it live we would be like "ffffaaaacccckkkkk"

But now that we know and anticipate what it should sound like, there's more room for disappointment, which ruins the fun because there really shouldn't be any of that for any reason...

Totally agree with you.

Think about it, if we hadn't heard reapers at all and first heard the album version, we wouldn't have any expectations at all and would be like "God damn this song kicks ass!"

And then when we hear it live we would be like "ffffaaaacccckkkkk"

But now that we know and anticipate what it should sound like, there's more room for disappointment, which ruins the fun because there really shouldn't be any of that for any reason...

What if we heard the studio version thought it was awesome and then the live and thought it was shit?

Don mind hearing stuff live first personally.

Muse are a good live band (or they were once :LOL:) and they reproduce their studio stuff pretty well in most cases IMO.

What if we heard the studio version thought it was awesome and then the live and thought it was shit?

Don mind hearing stuff live first personally.

Muse are a good live band (or they were once :LOL:) and they reproduce their studio stuff pretty well in most cases IMO.

They're still a good live band imo

I think it's a bad idea for them to play new songs in a live setting before we hear the studio versions, might have worked a few years back but with the level of intense scrutiny and nitpicking, something like Reapers is probably only gonna disappoint people now I reckon.

I don't think I'll be let down by it. I really like the fundamental components of the song (the chorus melody, the lyrics, the pre-chorus riff, the tapping sections) which will all be pretty much the same. It's obviously not gonna sound as heavy or beefy as it is live, especially the outro, but that's only natural really so it's to be expected.

The only things I'm hoping for that might change are the solo, the robot vocoder bits (which have actually been confirmed, iirc?) and the distorted 'Drones!' voice during the pre-choruses.

They're still a good live band imo

I didn't even realise this was up for debate!? I actually think they've gotten better as the years have gone by. Shaky setlist and pop-star wankery aside, Live at Rome is up there with the best they have ever sounded I think.

If they stripped back some of the unnecessary, distracting production, focused more and their performance and dropped some of the boring songs (or reinvigorated them and played them with some energy instead of just going through the motions) they could still be in with a shout at best live band.

Manchester Academy was the best gig I've ever been to (bar Leeds Fest '11, but that was for sentimental reasons) 'cause it was just the band and the fans having fun, no extra frills.

Random thought here but does anyone think the "Big Surprise" next week is a T2L tour DVD or something? That HD pro-shot of Resistance in Vegas has surfaced in the last couple of days, and perhaps it's part of something bigger...

Nope, wouldn't really make any sense. Releasing a DVD from the last album when you're trying to promote the new album? Plus, Live At Rome already sold like shit so releasing a second DVD from the same era would just be stupid.