People expecting something said at a concert before a single second was even spent at a studio were setting themselves up for disappointment.

They had a lot of ideas written at the time though, they jammed things out as they toured + inside of hotel rooms.

Yeah later on as in late 2014 6 months ago when we finally started getting snippets on IG. But we still aren't getting what we expected if you took us back further than that. People have just been softened up gradually as DI and Mercy came out. And now the reviews are dropping people's expectations even more.

Tbh Dead Inside was kind of a smack in the face when it launched. I remember reading the thread as it dropped on my lunch break at work. That was the turning point where people realized we might not be getting that raw rock album. It wasn't that long ago but my people's mindsets on what they are expecting sure has changed since that release.

No one here can honestly tell me with a straight face back pre DI release that they were expecting an album where half the songs are poppy. Now we hear Revolt and Aftermath are poppy like U2 and a Coke Christmas ad. Combine with DI/Mercy. 2 of the tracks on the album are interludes and one is an A Capella hymn. There isn't much left when you consider all that.

Agreed. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up, but I did when I heard Psycho. :noey:

All the songs released so far have pretty much been 3-piece rock though, with Dead Inside and Mercy having some pop sensibilities in there as well. Psycho, DI, Reapers (and most likely The Handler and The Globalist) all have fairly dark subject matters too. I'm not really sure what you were realistically expecting.

Did you already forget what your mindset was pre DI release? That's my point of all this. You expected half the album to be light pop rock back then? Dark lyrics or themes don't excuse for a bad 80's rock parody and Psycho sounding like a joke song. Then DI comes out, That was wake-up slap in the face, then Mercy with the jab. I think the Revolt/Aftermath will be an uppercut combo TKO on this album.

People expecting something said at a concert before a single second was even spent at a studio were setting themselves up for disappointment.

I guarantee you were one of them. If I cared to dig back into people's late 2013/early2014 post history none of you would be saying, "guys calm down it's going to turn out being status quo pop rock albeit slightly stripped back"

I guarantee you were one of them. If I cared to dig back into people's late 2013/early2014 post history none of you would be saying, "guys calm down it's going to turn out being status quo pop rock albeit slightly stripped back"

We have heard 3 out of 10 studio tracks. That's 12 out of 52 minutes of album.

No one here can honestly tell me with a straight face back pre DI release that they were expecting an album where half the songs are poppy.

I think you'd have to be extremely unrealistic and naive to think that they'd release a completely heavy rock album at this point.

Also, so far the only songs the are poppy are Dead Inside, Mercy and (apparently) Revolt, two of which are stripped-back pop-rock anyway. Maybe Aftermath but that sounds more like it'll be some kind of rock-ballad.

We have heard 3 out of 10 studio tracks. That's 12 out of 52 minutes of album.

Name a Muse song that we heard live via bootleg first that turned out better on the album. I'll wait. Although even though Reapers will be disappointing on record I don't mind because you know I think that song is the worst of what we've heard so far lol.

And I'm not bringing up these points to bash. I still love Muse and I'll still be excited as fuck when the album leaks and I'll still listen to it for months because I consume new Muse like nothing else but still. I had this sudden remembrance about what I was expecting a year or two ago and where we sit now. It isn't a good feeling.

Anyone who says this is what they expected pre Dead Inside is lying. And for the record it'll probably still be better than T2L. Not sure about TR.

Name a Muse song that we heard live via bootleg first that turned out better on the album. I'll wait. Although even though Reapers will be disappointing on record I don't mind because you know I think that song is the worst of what we've heard so far lol.

And I'm not bringing up these points to bash. I still love Muse and I'll still be excited as fuck when the album leaks and I'll still listen to it for months because I consume new Muse like nothing else but still. I had this sudden remembrance about what I was expecting a year or two ago and where we sit now. It isn't a good feeling.

Anyone who says this is what they expected pre Dead Inside is lying.

Mercy.

it's just that none of the songs are actually dark :LOL: psycho is just riffing around, mercy is another "oh my souuul" anthem and reapers is like robbie williams/acdc/morello+that fucking shameless chord progression.

Call it what you want, Reapers is dark.

Anyone who says this is what they expected pre Dead Inside is lying.

k thx man

They've been promising a stripped back rock album since BH&R to my knowledge, if you're still surprised that they haven't 100% stuck to that (even though they've actually stuck to it pretty well so far, it would seem) then you've set yourself up for disappointment.

Tbh now I've heard the first 3 songs of the album, I wouldn't trade them for a single raw stripped back rock song...if you think of Muse doing a full album of that now, it would probably turn out a disaster.

We have DI, that's far from fantastic but has it's awesome moments, plus a dark vibe.

We have Psycho, that might probably be a goddamn nightmare live (in a good way)

We have Mercy, slightly poppy but with that touch of Muse that makes it a great song

Just think of it has a whole... they're all amazing songs, but sure this can make you rethink why do you like Muse

k thx man

They've been promising a stripped back rock album since BH&R to my knowledge, if you're still surprised that they haven't 100% stuck to that (even though they've actually stuck to it pretty well so far, it would seem) then you've set yourself up for disappointment.

I guess I figured the "fool me 2 times, can't possibly be a third can it" hit me hard with this album. You can blame it on unrealistic expectations if you must but really they stuck with that "raw rock album" promise FAR later into this album cycle than they have in the past. Usually it's a brief mention very early one time and then nothing after that. This one went pretty deep especially with Psycho launching first featuring an ancient Muse riff.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser