Chinese Replica MB1?

Mittle

Hi !

I'm a proud Manson MA-2 owner (note: not MB owner *sigh*) and I have just purchased a black glitter MB-1 "replica" from some chinese people calling themselves "world famous luthiers" over at http://www.rareelectricguitar.com. What I am going to do with this guitar is mainly just fool around with it, insert some effects perhaps and just have fun. Cost me 500 $ included shipping, and I just went for it.

But my question is, do any of you guys here have experience with this website? Seems legit too me. They're communicating well through email etc. And secondly, do you guys have any ideas or tips'n tricks regarding effects, pickups etc.

(PS: looking forward to those "you were scammed bro" comments xD :rolleyes:)

Our experience is that the replicas usually look crap and probably are not even close to Manson standards, even if they communicate well. Got any photos?

In the end, it might end up being a decent guitar, but most of these sites are quite dodgy. The site looks better than most of these I've seen though.

I don't think it is a scam. There are some (read: a lot) of Chinese and Taiwanese businesses similar to this that work on this basis (there is a cool story about a guy getting a bike frame custom designed over there and their factories were professional and well equipped).

From what I gather, a guy in the US manages this. You'll get a guitar out of it but I cannot vouch for the quality. You will get what you paid for. I mean, as long as the instrument is playable and it looks close, put a new set of pickups in and you'd have something you can gig with easily.

There will be a lot of purists that hate this but if it works for you, let us know.

I've seen people's reviews of this websites guitars on youtube and they said they had to replace all hardware, the neck and the pickups to make the guitar feel decently playable and actually sound okay

Seems a bit pointless in that case, especially if it's set neck

Some of them won't be bothered I'm sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-0O6poj4K4

Our experience is that the replicas usually look crap and probably are not even close to Manson standards, even if they communicate well. Got any photos?

In the end, it might end up being a decent guitar, but most of these sites are quite dodgy. The site looks better than most of these I've seen though.

Yeah, I've seen alot of replicas out there and some of them look crap while some look decent. The ones posted on their website looks quite accurate when it comes to shape but I told them to do some modifications to make it even more accurate. E.g. white fretmarks on the side (which the ones on the site suprisingly didn't have), a black nut, single coil in the neck and battery box routing, since I have ordered a fernandes FSK-401 from the US which I will be installing.

Link to the guitar on their site: http://www.rareelectricguitar.com/Matt-Bellamy-Manson-MB-1-Black-Signature-Guitar-sale_1032.html

More pics, the black one was for another customer, looks pretty similar to the matt blacks

IMG_2131.thumb.jpg.96ec01fb8d820ee2e077eb590d2a1653.jpg

Catch1F01.thumb.jpg.0a0e7d135714655483e8e33bc820067f.jpg

Edited by Mittle

Yikes. Those look pretty shoddy, and the fact that they pirate the Manson logo for them is even worse. As the owner of a legit Manson, why would you give them the business? Could've bought a nice Squier for less.

Well, I just wanted a cheap guitar with matts shape to fool around with, one that I dont have to be too afraid to "toss around". Also, I spoke to a guy who have bought cheap chinese replicas before, and he recommended me to get a cheap one and just throw away the crap hardware they include and wire it up with some better hardware. And since I live in Norway, a cheap Squire comes at the same price so I thought why not. Also, im considering asking them to do a custom logo, since having the manson logo on a fake guitar makes me feel kinda bad, although it might be good advertising (?)

Edited by Mittle

Yikes. Those look pretty shoddy, and the fact that they pirate the Manson logo for them is even worse. As the owner of a legit Manson, why would you give them the business? Could've bought a nice Squier for less.

First you're pointing out that you actually still have that Manson which you never seem to talk about, and now saying that a squier could be.. nice?

You're getting more and more like your old man by the day, son.

A bad copy is not good advertising, so go for a different logo!

"Damn, you paid 4 grand for this thing?"

I asked them to send me some more photos. The guitar is now routed and painted (with glitter!) and maybe it'll be ready in a couple of weeks? They haven´t fitted the logo yet so a custom one can be done, any suggestions? (PS: seems like the neck pickup is routed kinda close to the neck?)

CatchF9C6.thumb.jpg.854d4eafe0ed29af1ddcbd7c5371a2ac.jpg

The paint/glitter makes it hard to tell how well it's routed but I mean the shape looks okay. Not a fan of the glitter but it'll look nicer with some hardware on it.

Just plain maple for the neck?

Yes, I guess we will tell when they have assembled it. Chrome hardware and a hardtail bridge, will go nice with the glitter :facemelt:

And I went for a plain maple. Could have birds eye for additional 40 $ but I wanted it to be as cheap as possible, so I just went for the standard. Maybe a birds eye if I purchase another? :LOL:

First you're pointing out that you actually still have that Manson which you never seem to talk about, and now saying that a squier could be.. nice?

You're getting more and more like your old man by the day, son.

Nah, I meant since he's the owner of a legit Manson and knows what the real thing is like, why would he want to buy something that's obviously inferior just to have? Some of the Squier Vintage Modifieds are really neat guitars. There's an obvious quality difference between them and something like a Manson or an Elliott, but they're nice enough - if you wanted a cheap knock around guitar, I can't see why you'd diminish the brand of a really nice guitar that you already own by ordering a Chinese knock off rather than something like a Squier VM Cabronita. But hey, to each their own.

That glitter finish looks A+ by the way :thumbsup:jk it looks like dandruff