Chinese Replica MB1?

Mittle

Pics look really nice. The paint job looks first class, but don't let that fool you. So be thorough when you fit the expensive new parts, or you will be wasting your hard earned cash.

As well as swapping out both pups and tuners, I'd recommend a complete rewire with new pots/jack/3-way, the absolute cheapest crap will be in there. I'd also remove the neck and clean up/sort any poor workmanship around the joint before ensuring a tight fit and correctly reset (check too there there are no high/low frets etc, you'll probably need to adjust truss rod to do this right). If the neck needs any work, do it now.

The nut will be a piece of crap too, but I think you noticed that.

Get it right, and it should sound as nice as it looks. :D

P.S. A solution to your kill switch/button problem might be to add a lil black surround like on the LP. Could also be set in and painted?

Pickups-Toggle-Switch.jpg

Thank you for the tips and yes I will be using the cables from the FSK 410 kit and I've already found a new 3 way ill use. The tech will do the final check I think, fixing frets, neck and fine tuning. And with the kill switch, i think ill stick to the Arcade style one for noe but good idea though :-)

And to musecasters, im doing this as a project and I wish to learn more abt guitars whilst sharing my progress and experiences with this forum. Why would I ebay the guitar away to get the Cort, which by the way is pre ordered.:erm:

Edited by Mittle

And to musecasters, im doing this as a project and I wish to learn more abt guitars whilst sharing my progress and experiences with this forum. Why would I ebay the guitar away to get the Cort, which by the way is pre ordered.:erm:

i just hope it's a melon for you. i'd be interested in your views on the cort when that comes too :D

i just hope it's a melon for you. i'd be interested in your views on the cort when that comes too :D

If that's not a typo for lemon, then I have no idea what you mean :$

Also, I think you need a new signature (or at least I think I've caught up at this point, unless you count the wall of dead bodies)

Why would you hope its a melon/lemon for me? If I understand you right you wish that my guitar turns out like crap? Thats just mean :indiff: And I bet you´d be very interested in my views on the Cort.. ;)

You could have got yourself a decent MA for the price of the two together. :ninja:

I would have done this to be honest. A second-hand MA and a few pedals.

I do like the paint job on the replica though.

You could have got yourself a decent MA for the price of the two together. :ninja:

Yes but money isnt really the issue here. I would have bought the Cort anyway since its a signature. I already have an MA-2, and also a custom beeing made in Exeter. The chinese one is as mentioned just for curiosity and experience. It'll be a cool guitar i wont have to be too careful with ;)

Well he said in the first post that he already has an MA-2, so if you're suggesting he get another one, it won't work since that logic only applies to me and rust_relic

Fair point, I forgot about that! :chuckle:

Yes but money isnt really the issue here

Custom then? :LOL:

Nah, seriously, as long as you're happy with what you get for your money, nothing else matters. :)

Fair point, I forgot about that! :chuckle:

Custom then? :LOL:

Nah, seriously, as long as you're happy with what you get for your money, nothing else matters. :)

Lol appreciate that. And well, the customs takes up to a year, I just wanted something fast and easy. Wanna get my hands dirty :p

I wish! :LOL:

I think my carbon has been over a year now. But to be honest, after the MB-1, I haven't really been bothered about waiting.

As for the replica, I'm sure the cort will be a much better guitar right out of the box. If the replica really is a lemon, drink cider from it.

:stunned:

I think my carbon has been over a year now. But to be honest, after the MB-1, I haven't really been bothered about waiting.

As for the replica, I'm sure the cort will be a much better guitar right out of the box. If the replica really is a lemon, drink cider from it.

Ye, out of the box I expect the chinese one to be a total mess. I will probably dismantle it as soon as it enters the door. Will need to plug it in for comparison though.

It has arrived! (or did yesterday) :p

My first impression was the weight! It was super light, but it has a large cavity though.

Anyway! It sounded (suprisingly) quite okay! Real pickups, and the bridge pickup sounded better than my schecter hellraiser (nuff said). Although the "single coil" in the neck (which was a mini humbucker) sounded like an old stratocaster wired up to a teapot under water. Anyway, I stripped it down and installed the fsk 401, the HAP tuners and the MBK-2. After I completed wiring and built it back together it sounded GR8! The mbk-2 deserves a salute because it transformed it into a beast! Also, no feedback or fuzz. All cavities are shielded with conductive paint (!) and their wire-work was quite nice, although I removed it all :rolleyes:

anway, off to the tech now to be fine tuned and checked!

(pics of it next to the MA-2)

10917759_10152590430300811_1985958059_n.thumb.jpg.d2d825ef34ee2637680e538e542eeb1e.jpg

10947541_10152590430330811_1633685148_n.thumb.jpg.352ba7a2ce00b82c7599da65556ecf3f.jpg

10954150_10152590430375811_394434869_n.jpg.d0c6c348769012c0788dc3eeb61f523d.jpg

My first impression was the weight! It was super light, but it has a large cavity though.

Anyway! It sounded (suprisingly) quite okay! Real pickups, and the bridge pickup sounded better than my schecter hellraiser (nuff said). Although the "single coil" in the neck (which was a mini humbucker) sounded like an old stratocaster wired up to a teapot under water. Anyway, I stripped it down and installed the fsk 401, the HAP tuners and the MBK-2. After I completed wiring and built it back together it sounded GR8! The mbk-2 deserves a salute because it transformed it into a beast! Also, no feedback or fuzz. All cavities are shielded with conductive paint (!) and their wire-work was quite nice, although I removed it all :rolleyes:

Good choice going with the FSK-401 and MBK-2 pickups, I have both in mine and I absolutely love how it sounds. Sounds like you practically ended up with a Manson signature without paying ~$2500

Good choice going with the FSK-401 and MBK-2 pickups, I have both in mine and I absolutely love how it sounds. Sounds like you practically ended up with a Manson signature without paying ~$2500

Hehe. I compared the neck to the MA, and it has a slight different profile. Would expect that though, but the MAs are also different compared to the original MBs. Anyway, the neck blew me away. It was stunning, and had the smooth and fluid feel of the MA. I wonder if the factory have access to one of the MB replicas or an MA.

Just left the guitar with the tech, and he is going to check through the electronics, wire up the kill switch, and do some fine tuning on neck, frets, nut etc. He´ll be finished early next week, so I can't wait to try it!

PS: Midi XY pad hasnt arrived yet. Will probably install it once it arrives.

Edited by Mittle

Didn't help me much! :chuckle:

Hope the wood quality, overall sound, and playability holds up. If so you might have got a decent deal.

Haha. Well, it was much lighter than the MA-2, but I think it is thinner. Anyway, the wood is supposed to be alder, also that is what I thought after seeing the first picture they sent. Anyway, it had great sustain and clarity, and sounds extremely close to the MA, I don't think I could hear any difference in a blind test. The playability was as expected when it comes to fretwork, but the neck itself feels great!

Catch1F01.thumb.jpg.3433136000a5b79a680a6f1068f2b5cf.jpg

Did it arrive in tune?