Chinese Replica MB1?

Mittle

They use wilkinson tuners they told me. Do you think a string tree will solve it? I will probably purchase some 510 HAP from Manson and change them. I fear the wilkinson ones will be unstable, forcing me to tune it every minute.

I'd expect them to be stable, at least reasonably. It takes a pretty terrible tuner to be that unstable. Often some tuning stability issues also comes from a poor quality bridge/nut.

The HAP tuners will resolve your need for string trees. Strats/Teles all have string trees for a reason, because without then, there isn't enough of a break angle over the nut. Gibson gets away with it because they have the tilted headstock.

When I was building my MB-1 Replica, I didn't even know the HAPs existed, so I bought just a standard pair of Gotoh tuners. High E sounded terrible, ordered the HAPs and it resolved everything.

I'd expect them to be stable, at least reasonably. It takes a pretty terrible tuner to be that unstable. Often some tuning stability issues also comes from a poor quality bridge/nut.

The HAP tuners will resolve your need for string trees. Strats/Teles all have string trees for a reason, because without then, there isn't enough of a break angle over the nut. Gibson gets away with it because they have the tilted headstock.

When I was building my MB-1 Replica, I didn't even know the HAPs existed, so I bought just a standard pair of Gotoh tuners. High E sounded terrible, ordered the HAPs and it resolved everything.

Hmm alright. I see manson sells the HAP's for 100£. Perhaps I will purchase them, but I will wait until I have received the guitar in order to see how much I'm willing to spend. If it turns out to be decent I might spend some more on hardware/tuners etc.

It doesn't look that bad :)

The killswitch is weird, and you should install a XY pad, it would look much better.

I told them to send me an additional 3-way switch so that I can change it. Anyway, ill order an XY pad as soon as I get confirmed that the requierments are met (measurements etc). In my opinion it turned out cool. I got the "space" look I was hoping for :-)

Anyway. If it turns out to be decent to play I will upgrade the hardware, which includes:

MBK-2 Pickup for the bridge

FSK-401 sustainer kit

XY-midi pad(!)

New tuners (HAP 510 probably)

Custom alu. knobs :D

Another kill switch that isnt hug(h)e. However, if the hole for it is too large ill just make it my thing like Bs suggested. Also when it is that large I can like "slap" it with the palm of my hand instead of pushing it with the fingertips.

Edited by Mittle

Also when it is that large I can like "slap" it with the palm of my hand instead of pushing it with the fingertips.

Haha, makes me think of that Simpsons moment - "The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special dialling wand, please mash the keypad with your palm now." :LOL:

Just a point though, I'd be wary of spending so much money adding all that stuff unless the guitar itself is damn good. For the money it would cost you, you may as well have just got the real thing.

Just a point though, I'd be wary of spending so much money adding all that stuff unless the guitar itself is damn good. For the money it would cost you, you may as well have just got the real thing.

Yes. The only purchase I have made so far is the FSK-401. Cost me 200£ in the US. Which makes the total cost 650£ for the guitar. Additional upgrades would cost abt 300 (midipad, tuners and MBK-2). Which adds up to about 1000. The cost of an EVO. :$

It works well for uncoordinated people though (sorry Phill, couldn't resist)

Sort of like that MoC made out of an old door with unparalleled upper fret access

Also, they said on their website that they tune the guitar before shipping so it will arrive in tune.

If it arrives out of tune, will you return it?

And a better looking killbutton

Yes I mentioned that earlier. I just fear that the hole they've drilled for this one is too large to fit the ones used on manson guitars. Maybe Ill just have to stick with this one :p

If it arrives out of tune, will you return it?

Lol im not sure if I understand your sense of humor. But I think ill tune it myself if it arrives untuned.

Yes I mentioned that earlier. I just fear that the hole they've drilled for this one is too large to fit the ones used on manson guitars. Maybe Ill just have to stick with this one :p

Lol im not sure if I understand your sense of humor. But I think ill tune it myself if it arrives untuned.

I was being serious though. If I bought a guitar from a company that says it will arrive in tune, I would send them a complaint (just to see the reaction) when it arrives out of tune.

here's the standard sized kill button

http://www.mansons.co.uk/product/push-button-kill-switch-4873

requires a 15mm hole

I was being serious though. If I bought a guitar from a company that says it will arrive in tune, I would send them a complaint (just to see the reaction) when it arrives out of tune.

requires a 15mm hole

would you be able to replace the killswitch on an evo with the kill button? or would the pot be different?

requires a 15mm hole

Ah arright! I dunno, they're very bad at english, they use "pre written" messages they just paste into the e-mail when I ask them something. So they'll probably just paste one of those we apologise messages :LOL:

Anyway, I think I've kind of fallen in love with the arcade style button. Will go well with the XY pad in my opinion. But however, if I want the standard one Ill just purchase it. No biggie. However lets pray the hole isnt like 30mm wide :$

Can't say I like the glitter but it does look like a nice guitar.I'll be very interested to know what you think of it once you get your hands on it.

Well we all have our preferences :p I wanted this kind of "space" look, I suppose they´ve somewhat achieved it. Considering the cheap hardware they´ve used and the "chinese" reputation Im not expecting a decent guitar. I have purchased the electronics and hardware I think is required to achieve a "decent" guitar, and I also know a tech who is willing to help me setting it up. But anyway, lets hope it proves to be better than the expectations.:rolleyes:

Edited by Mittle

Well we all have our preferences :p I wanted this kind of "space" look, I suppose they´ve somewhat achieved it. Considering the cheap hardware they´ve used and the "chinese" reputation Im not expecting a decent guitar. I have purchased the electronics and hardware I think is required to achieve a "decent" guitar, and I also know a tech who is willing to help me setting it up. But anyway, lets hope it proves to be better than the expectations.:rolleyes:

how long do you reckon it'll be before you've got it and got it all set up how you want it? looking forward to hear how it plays from you

how long do you reckon it'll be before you've got it and got it all set up how you want it? looking forward to hear how it plays from you

Well, the guitar itself is already shipped and some of the electronics as well, but it also depends on when manson ships the tuners and pickup, but I reckon it'll be ready in a month (ultimate maximum). Also depends on what time I have on my hands considering im a student. But ill definately consider making a video :happy:

Edited by Mittle

Pics look really nice. The paint job looks first class, but don't let that fool you. So be thorough when you fit the expensive new parts, or you will be wasting your hard earned cash.

As well as swapping out both pups and tuners, I'd recommend a complete rewire with new pots/jack/3-way, the absolute cheapest crap will be in there. I'd also remove the neck and clean up/sort any poor workmanship around the joint before ensuring a tight fit and correctly reset (check too there there are no high/low frets etc, you'll probably need to adjust truss rod to do this right). If the neck needs any work, do it now.

The nut will be a piece of crap too, but I think you noticed that.

Get it right, and it should sound as nice as it looks. :D

P.S. A solution to your kill switch/button problem might be to add a lil black surround like on the LP. Could also be set in and painted?

Pickups-Toggle-Switch.jpg

Edited by UKLooney

Pics look really nice. The paint job looks first class, but don't let that fool you. So be thorough when you fit the expensive new parts, or you will be wasting your hard earned cash.

As well as swapping out both pups and tuners, I'd recommend a complete rewire with new pots/jack/3-way, the absolute cheapest crap will be in there. I'd also remove the neck and clean up/sort any poor workmanship around the joint before ensuring a tight fit and correctly reset (check too there there are no high/low frets etc, you'll probably need to adjust truss rod to do this right). If the neck needs any work, do it now.

The nut will be a piece of crap too, but I think you noticed that.

Get it right, and it should sound as nice as it looks. :D

P.S. A solution to your kill switch/button problem might be to add a lil black surround like on the LP. Could also be set in and painted?

Pickups-Toggle-Switch.jpg

or ebay it and get a Cort :rolleyes: