Mattocaster rep - Wonky or not?

Jaicen

Need some advice.

I'm about to build the body for my Delorean rep.

I can't decide whether to use the original slightly offset, slightly wonky shape, or if I should use the more symmetrical MB shape.

The wonky shape will be more authentic, but in my head it should be symmetric.

I have gone to great lengths to make the rep as authentic as possible including having parts custom made. What should I do??

what do you feel you'll be happier with once done, regardless of the time or money spent?

I was hoping you'd show up ;)

To be honest, I don't know!

I would take great pleasure in having the most authentic replica possible. As I said, I've had the knobs and truss rod adjuster etc custom machined, and the perfect replica was always the goal. However, I didn't know when I started this project that the original guitar is slightly offset, as are all Matt's guitars at least up to the black M1D1.

However, I would also take great pleasure in having a perfectly proportioned guitar, one that I don't have to explain that 'yeah it's supposed to be slightly offset' :$

How do you feel about your rep's??

I was hoping you'd show up ;)

To be honest, I don't know!

I would take great pleasure in having the most authentic replica possible. As I said, I've had the knobs and truss rod adjuster etc custom machined, and the perfect replica was always the goal. However, I didn't know when I started this project that the original guitar is slightly offset, as are all Matt's guitars at least up to the black M1D1.

However, I would also take great pleasure in having a perfectly proportioned guitar, one that I don't have to explain that 'yeah it's supposed to be slightly offset' :$

How do you feel about your rep's??

looking at it now i know mine is wrong, fairly happy with the body shape but looking at it face on, the neck drops. i'm not happy with the outline and size/scale of any of mine to be honest :$

I am leaning towards the MB shape to be honest. In my mind's eye, it always was symmetrical, it wasn't until Musecasters pointed it out me that I noticed it was in fact more than a bit wonky.

There are actually a couple of places around the bridge where the wiring has been routed that bug me a bit too. There's a large rectangular slot that seems a but unnecessary, and that weird ferrule where the Piezo wires pass through. If I made it wonky, i'd have to include those too.

My attention to detail / OCD is making me a little bit mental. What to do?

I'm still not sure. I did a Photoshop comparison between the shapes of Santa, M1D1 and the original Delorean, and there's not a great deal of difference. The M1D1 and Delorean are marginally more 'wonky' than Santa.

Not sure if the differences can be seen all that well.

Comparison_zps3034f690.gif

I honestly don't know what is be happiest with, hence the thread.

I started with the lofty intention of making a perfect replica, but the offset revelation is a spanner in the works and now I'm not sure what to do.

perfect replica would require etched manson logo too, go for the closest you can get but i would say make it as if Hugh would get a do-over on the delorean

here is one i bought from a friend(as i cant afford an DL), just had no fuzz in it so i modded it and added some aluminum hardware. the shape isnt perfect and when you are playing you kind of forget about it the more you play. if your building it to look at it then i could imagine it playing on your mind a little.. the head is a peavy generation style which is my main gig guitar so i probably wont be making a new neck for this.

ali.thumb.jpg.79229886682ab8ba521899f0e7b4b635.jpg

1931859648_ali2.jpg.af6e29b221248c449cf8edfc12391032.jpg

perfect replica would require etched manson logo too, go for the closest you can get but i would say make it as if Hugh would get a do-over on the delorean

It will have an etched logo, but it will have my name not Hugh's ;)

I wonder what Hugh would say about the shape, I think it would be good if we could pick his brains about the early guitars. There really isn't that much concrete info about them really. Maybe there are only a few people that would be interested, but I think it would be worthwhile.

Also, nice looking guitar Phyxation, though I would have left off the FF. I really like the minimalist look. Is it Ali all around or just the front?

It will have an etched logo, but it will have my name not Hugh's ;)

I wonder what Hugh would say about the shape, I think it would be good if we could pick his brains about the early guitars. There really isn't that much concrete info about them really. Maybe there are only a few people that would be interested, but I think it would be worthwhile.

Also, nice looking guitar Phyxation, though I would have left off the FF. I really like the minimalist look. Is it Ali all around or just the front?

ty jaicen im not sure why but i just really wanted to add the fuzz but i do agree without looked nice, plus i can always add a new sheet of aluminum to it leave out the fuzz and add an actual p90. still more work to be done. you got pics of your planning or anything?

Ok so dilemma is resolved. Going to build the most perfect replica humanly possible.

So, I know that Matts guitar had a Seymour Duncan 'hot p90' in the neck, but I'm which one???

Originally, i'd planned to go with a Bareknuckle pig90, but that's not original. So, I'm inclined to go with the SP90-3, due to the higher output, however the sp90-2 sounds like it might have the better tone.

Does anybody actually know what was in the original?

Pretty sure it's the SP90-2 which is the hot P90. The SP90-3 is the custom soapbar something or other.

The DL-1 has the SP90-2 as well - great sounding pickup. I'd say it has just the right amount of output really, and it matches up fine with a bass-heavy bridge pickup.