Mattocaster rep - Wonky or not?

Jaicen

Thanks Jamesninety. I wonder how it will match up to a motherbucker though ??

Maybe ask rust_relic - he just had the MBK-2 in his DL-1 swapped out for a motherbucker.

I once had a guitar with that pickup setup as well, but I think the motherbucker was wired wrong... sounded really thin

In my humble opinion the Manson MBK-2 is the best pickup...........in the world!

Seriously, it's the best pickup I've had in a guitar, just had Manson's complete the last of my mods to my DL-1 which was fit a motherbucker, it's great for getting close to the Origin on Symmetry sound but the MBK-2 was a lot better (for my setup anyway)

1185731_10151600416607091_573977582_n_zps8dfad888.jpg

With my Diezel's 4 channels the guitars with MBK-2 was great for Time is Running Out for the distinct 4 parts, 1 for clean, 2 for pre chorus, 3 for chorus, 4 for the octaves after the first chorus although it is a high gain amp. With the motherbucker guitar, changing channels 2, 3 and 4 didn't make much difference to the gain as was a lot higher output pickup

If you have something a bit brighter and less gainy like a Marshall the Motherbucker is really good for pushing the amp, all depends on what amp you have really, hope this helps

:D

I had them in my alloy Ibanez. No issues with volume jumps as far as I can remember.

You mean the SP90-2 and the Motherbucker? Sounds like that's the one to get then.

As far as the amp goes, that's going to be a custom too once I've built the guitars, and it's getting cold outside i'll move inside. The amp is going to be a 1x12" combo with power scaling and two channels, one based on a JCM800 and the other on a 1959 Plexi. That's just a complicated way of saying the amp isn't going to be a problem, I can make it as bright as I need to ;)

Also, you know the MBK2 is just a nailbomb right? ;)

As far as I know the MBK-2 is an overwound Nailbomb

p.s. if you need a "relic" Black MBK-2 (from my DL-1) give me a shout

:D

I don't think it's custom in any way actually beyond the engraved cover, but yeah, they are the best humbuckers I've ever played. I had Tim build me one with 12 exposed polepieces in a chrome cover, and it is IMMENSE.

Might be interested in the spare MBK if it's cheap, how much are you looking for?

EDIT: Where's that picture from? WTF?

Ha all I know if I've had both. Found the nailbomb to be very crisp and razor sharp but not really much character, kind of sterile sounding. The MBK2 was a little rawer sounding, more mids and more interesting character to the tone.

Both pickups were in similar constructed guitars.

That's interesting Phill. Did you have the Ceramic or Alnico Nailbomb? Matt uses the stock Alnico V bar magnets with stock windings. The Nailbomb is available in a ceramic mag version for use as a bridge pickup, which sounds like the pickup that you described.

Rust Relic, thanks but I can't stretch to that right now. Where did you get the wonky pics from?

That's interesting Phill. Did you have the Ceramic or Alnico Nailbomb? Matt uses the stock Alnico V bar magnets with stock windings. The Nailbomb is available in a ceramic mag version for use as a bridge pickup, which sounds like the pickup that you described.

Rust Relic, thanks but I can't stretch to that right now. Where did you get the wonky pics from?

Barnettttttts. Mark loves merking him, he lives for the Mattocaster merks

As far as I'm aware it was just the stock nailbomb. I didn't ask for anything specific. Potentially could have been a magnet switch?

Barnettttttts. Mark loves merking him, he lives for the Mattocaster merks

Ah, gotcha. To be fair, seems like he's producing pretty nice guitars these days. I do recall the days of sleeping on people's floors and building stuff using whatever was at hand though :)

Hopefully, when I'm done I won't be the target of Phil's Merking, whatever that is.