Does anyone else think Dom wrote Unsustainable?

Citizen_Eraser

I'm not sure if this topic has ever been talked about or brought up by anyone but theres a ton of evidence that suggests that he wrote Unsustainable (aside from the orchestral and choir parts that are obviously Matt-ish)

I remember being around the forums when the teaser trailer came out with it as well as the release of the video in July or June last year and then when the making of for the album came out (where all the evidence I have comes from) I've never seen anyone bring this up.

I'll explain why I think this. To start, we know pre album release Dom was the one who got Matt and Chris to go to a Skrillex concert and see electronic and dubstep music first hand. It's been noted that Dom was the one that showed them that influence.

We also know from pre-album interviews that Uns was written electronically on a program like Abelton or something else first and then they learned how to play it with real instruments and convert it to guitars etc. (the opposite of follow me, written with instruments converted to electronics).

This is evidenced further by the making of video.

enkCQdNRGj0

2:33 in this video you see Dom working on a computer with what sounds like the original raw electronic version of the song (like I said written on Abelton or something like that with midi instruments) 3:08 shows more of the original electronic version.

After this alot of the rest of the making of video involves them trying to match their instrumental versions of it to the electronic version literally learning how to play it as they record it (as said in interviews). 3:19 with chris doing so, 4:55 listening to the recording along side the original seeing it match up. They discuss this as well in that scene.

Then you see every part that Matt plays on his guitar doing the same thing hes looking to Dom for instruction. 6:02 Dom has to pretty much tell him how the verse goes on the guitar and the fact that he has to leave a bigger gap for the whammy notes in the verse. From 7:44 on every bit Matt plays his facial expression is totally unsure and he is looking to Dom while playing and Dom is nodding saying basically thats it.

Big wall of text write up I know but I didn't wanna ask and have people be like wtf are you talking about and then have to explain it. But yeah I feel like watching the making of and knowing everything else from interviews its pretty obvious.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

1. This implies that Dom wrote the original electronic version. It could have been Matt himself inspired by the Skrillex concert as he did seem rater enthusiastic about it in interviews. Working on it doesn't necessarily mean he wrote it since all the members probably had their part in tweaking it.

2. Credits on the album for songwriting (lyrics and melody) go to Mattew Bellamy, as they always have done. It only gives exception to Save Me and Liquid State for obvious reasons. It would be kind of a dick move to take songwriting credit from Dom just for tradition. It's probably illegal too in some ways.

3. Learning the song as they go along isn't new and appeared quite throughout the making of as well as The Resistance's making of (drums in Resistance). Of course they're trying to match the original setup but I still don't think there's enough evidence to prove Dom made that original.

The part that does get me is Dom telling Matt how to play the song. It was a short clip but it seemed like a pretty specific set of directions that surely Matt wouldn't have needed had he made that song and knew the chords. Or maybe he really did forget through the chaos of studio time. I don't know.

The topic of your thread is pretty strange, I'd say.

First, they would have definitely mentioned it. And it's really illegal not to.

Most of the evidences you bring up do not really mean anything.

"After this alot of the rest of the making of video involves them trying to match their instrumental versions of it to the electronic version literally learning how to play it as they record it (as said in interviews)." How it draws onto that Dom wrote it?

And that moment, when Dom is giving directions to Matt... Like this is how the band works together. They have to coincide the parts and make all the instruments correspondent. I don't think this is the only example when Matt is not the one who gives directions, even though he writes the music. And, in this video, he actually was giving directions most of the time.

Edited by SpiralStatic1

Not sure how you came to this conclusion based on nothing.

The part where Dom gave Matt instructions had everything to do with timing, and very little else. Why wouldn't Matt take instructions from the drummer on timing?

cuz iz matt

The part where Matt doesn't know the music reminds me of this:

eRGxp3jt1HE

starting at 1:30.

I realise it's quite a different situation, but Dom knows the songs better than Matt. Maybe he's just better at remembering them, and it's the same here.

Lol!!!! How it happened?))) I mean, he can forget how the songs are called. But his own music???

Especially Starlight! Was so clear! "Knights of Cydonia?" )))))

Map of Your Head was funny too, though.

• 1 month later...
Lol!!!! How it happened?))) I mean, he can forget how the songs are called. But his own music???

Other musicians forget their own compositions. Singer/songwriters often forget lyrics they wrote themselves. An unperformed play by Alan Bennett was discovered last year; he forgot he'd written it and only found it when he was tidying up.:LOL:

I think it's easy to not recognise your own composition, when it's altered like that, and that KoC shout was out of pure desperation :LOL:

And, what's up with the ))))) ?

Were you referring to me? With my love towards ")))))"? I just prefer them to that awful smiles. Got used to it. Do you guys think I am Russian?

But...what are they supposed to represent? A man with no eyes and five mouths? Why would he be smiling about that?