The reason why Explorers is a great live song and why Starlight is a good closer

kueller

Explorers offers a cool down period in the gig. The descending chord structure offers this nice soothing music for people to relax for a few minutes of the concert while at the same time getting the lecture about private land ownership and alternative energy. If there's a sing-a-long, which is more the case in the stadiums, it only strengthens the unity between performer and audience almost like a more subtle politically charged song due to the lyrical content.

Starlight is a well known track. It has sing-a-long moments and clapping and can ends the gig on a happy note instead of on a loud and heavy note as was usually the case for every closer except most of Take A Bow. It's a daring change of pace and the inital negative reactions have been shock value alone of this change. Had they continued to do this most likely the fans would have warmed up to it. Had Matt decided to use a guitar during the song it would have been even better.

lol

I don't get the point of your post

I don't get the point of you querying me in that manner (wanting to be like Frakkles) but you still continue.

What I was saying is that in Coventry nobody knew starlight would be the last song and nobody expected it either. The fans were left wanting more after the song had finished. As the lights came up people were stood looking at one another with the expression "is that it? Really?". I don't understand what's not to understand.

I'm sure anyone who doesn't know what to expect from the set list feels the same at the end

I don't get the point of you querying me in that manner (wanting to be like Frakkles) but you still continue.

What I was saying is that in Coventry nobody knew starlight would be the last song and nobody expected it either. The fans were left wanting more after the song had finished. As the lights came up people were stood looking at one another with the expression "is that it? Really?". I don't understand what's not to understand.

I'm sure anyone who doesn't know what to expect from the set list feels the same at the end

LOL.

As I mentioned before, it's the unexpected shock value that makes it work. Muse managed to make themselves unpredictable by closing with a song that no one would expect them to.

The fact everyone feels underwhelmed is all marketing. The first and last things you get from a show are usually the most memorable. By ending the show with a song that leaves the audience wanting more the audience leaves with a subconscous desire to want more of Muse live. If Muse decide to return to European dates those who enjoyed the concert will retain that subconscious desire and will be more inclined to buy tickets again even having seen a rather long set this summer. This will most surely lighten the issue of the lower ticket sales of the stadium tour, which was mostly blamed on the band announcing shows every year and people not feeling the need to. They are fighting the effects of the economic downtime on peoples' financial descisions with subliminal psychological messaging.

420 blaze it

I expected a noob poster to have created this thread...

Explorers is a beautiful song, and if you love it as much as me then it can be beautiful live. However sensing the boredom of others around you ruins it, therefore it isn't worth the slot it takes up.

Starlight closing was fine for me but I wouldn't want it any other tours, one is enough

Starlight is my favorite Muse song, so obviously I loved hearing it as the encore. As for Explorers, I absolutely love that song, but I was slightly disappointed hearing it live. It just seemed to suck all the energy out of the arena minutes after we had all been headbanging to Knights of Cydonia. It's still a great song to listen to on the album, but I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed to see them cut it from future tours.

Explorers offers a cool down period in the gig. The descending chord structure offers this nice soothing music for people to relax for a few minutes of the concert while at the same time getting the lecture about private land ownership and alternative energy. If there's a sing-a-long, which is more the case in the stadiums, it only strengthens the unity between performer and audience almost like a more subtle politically charged song due to the lyrical content.

Starlight is a well known track. It has sing-a-long moments and clapping and can ends the gig on a happy note instead of on a loud and heavy note as was usually the case for every closer except most of Take A Bow. It's a daring change of pace and the inital negative reactions have been shock value alone of this change. Had they continued to do this most likely the fans would have warmed up to it. Had Matt decided to use a guitar during the song it would have been even better.

lol

:LOL: I agree

I can't believe you actually created this thread off that dare. You've got guts kid. Ditto on the psych value. As uplifting as Starlight is, making you happy as you leave, still had the urge to come back for another concert. Now, I understand why. :LOL:

lol

well he sometimes plays guitar for starlight

I expected a noob poster to have created this thread...

Explorers is a beautiful song, and if you love it as much as me then it can be beautiful live. However sensing the boredom of others around you ruins it, therefore it isn't worth the slot it takes up.

Starlight closing was fine for me but I wouldn't want it any other tours, one is enough

Oh Hannah