Muse featured in 'One Week One Band'

Gigapoodle

'One Week One Band' is this blog on Tumblr that basically has a really awesome, accredited editor write about a band he/she/whatever likes. They do all kinds of bands, from the obscure to like Kanye West, and pretty much all of the posts done for each artist are really intelligent, well crafted, and fleshed out.

They did Muse this last week, which I absolutely enjoyed. And being a slightly jarred-but-still-adoring Muse fan, I think the editor (Ari Lipsitz) did a damn fine job of describing the entirety of Muse (and Matt, really.)

The link to reading the 3 page series is here, if you're interested. Half of the thing talks about how Muse suck so that should attract a lot of you :p

It was clear the writer knew their Muse and I liked a lot of what he said, but I just don't get statements like this:

Bellamy is a showman. The band takes their music deadly-serious, but the best way to be the Biggest Band In The Universe is if the crowd loves them.

So yes, when it suits them, Muse has a sense of humor. Most of their songs are pretty silly, but never self-consciously so.

Clearly he had done his research for the most part, so how did he manage to miss all the references of them laughing their asses off during the recording process?

Many other journalists/writers* are guilty of this too, I mean decising on an "angle" and then conviniently ignoring all the evidence to the contrary just to get the argument/the piece of writing appear solid.

*also, pretty much everyone ever who is having a debate

It was clear the writer knew their Muse and I liked a lot of what he said, but I just don't get statements like this:

Clearly he had done his research for the most part, so how did he manage to miss all the references of them laughing their asses off during the recording process?

The author is absolutely right, when he said that Muse take their music very seriously.

(Muse stated that in several interviews)

But I'm pretty sure that Muse/Matt knows that is some of his lyrics are silly/ridiculous. Muse often said that there is a tongue-in-cheek element in their lyrics.

And I'm pretty sure the author reads the board. :awesome:

He used the "google proof" and quoted the same quote I posted in the "General Muse Discussion" thread a few weeks ago. That can't be a coincidence. :chuckle:

The author is absolutely right, when he said that Muse take their music very seriously.

(Muse stated that in several interviews)

But I'm pretty sure that Muse/Matt knows that is some of his lyrics are silly/ridiculous. Muse often said that there is a tongue-in-cheek element in their lyrics.

There are several documented instances of the music itself making the guys laugh. Making of Survival shows the guys cracking up at the choir. They've mentioned the "Queen moment" in USOE ("there can be only one") making them laugh several times. Etc.

My point is more that obviously they don't treat their music as a joke, but it's not 100% serious either, all the time. It's somewhere in between. Which is why reviews/descriptions about Muse having no sense of humour in their music, let alone no sense of self-awareness, are completely off.

My point is more that obviously they don't treat their music as a joke, but it's not 100% serious either, all the time. It's somewhere in between. Which is why reviews/descriptions about Muse having no sense of humour in their music, let alone no sense of self-awareness, are completely off.

I get what you mean and I agree with you. Tbh I thought about these "Queen moments" too, when I was writing my comment, :LOL:

Obviously they liked it and that's why they incorporated it in their song. At the same time they take it serious from a musical point of view, even if it sounds hilarious. You know what I mean? (E.g they try to make it sound the as good as possible. It's not half-assed.)

Apparently it's difficult for some people to differentiate the various aspects of Muse.

Muse Fact: Matt Bellamy holds the guitar-smashing Guinness World Record (140 during the Absolution Tour).

I wish people stopped quoting this EVERYTIME they write about Muse.

Matt says it isn't even true, wasn't it a record for the number of festivals they played in 2002 or something?

I think he just said that they didn't play that many gigs during that tour. So yes, it's a fake record
No he said that it was a record amount of festivals/gigs for them that year and somehow Guinness World Records counted that he broke a certain amount of guitars per gig. It's nonsense anyway.

No he said that it was a record amount of festivals/gigs for them that year and somehow Guinness World Records counted that he broke a certain amount of guitars per gig. It's nonsense anyway.

Oh yeah that.

Maybe the GWR staff counted the times he threw guitars at the drums as "guitars destroyed", even when they weren't actually destroyed :LOL:

There’s another reason why Coldplay can never be a cult—outside of suspicious 14 year-old boys, nobody really hates them. Like all great cults, the intensity of Muse fans is only matched by how much other people hate the band.

As someone who's been involved in both the Muse and Coldplay fandoms for many years (and thinks both bands have taken a big quality decline, for that matter), I assure you this could not be more backwards. Coldplay has always been one of the most constantly-hated-on bands by people of all ages ever since "Yellow", and they're the butt of every joke. Muse's hate has only begun to spark post-Twilight, and even then, it's practically nothing compared to the amount of Coldplay hate out there.

Oh yeah, and Muse taking themselves too seriously? Ha. Ha. Hahaha. If anything, I think many of us WISH they'd take themselves more seriously!

Archived