Yahoo News Story

fr0zen

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/spice-girls-not-enough-save-jessie-j-centric-005423459--oly.html

"Not so extended was Muse's abridged version of the official Olympics rock song, "Survival," the inevitable begrudging appearance of which was kind of like one of those American Idol coronation songs that everyone instantly hated but has to show up anyhow. Diving onto his knees like a true rock god as fireworks went off around him, singer Matt Bellamy did his best to pretend that he wasn't already embarrassed by this song that he will never live down, or that his guitar histrionics didn't seem shameful in comparison to the guy who'd be supplanting him in mere moments, Brian May."

I haven't read any recent interviews. Did I miss something as to where Matt is embarrassed by Survival. This song is going to be awesome live with the guitar breaks and just has potential for all out jammage at the end as well. American reporting really is quite annoying sometimes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/spice-girls-not-enough-save-jessie-j-centric-005423459--oly.html

"Not so extended was Muse's abridged version of the official Olympics rock song, "Survival," the inevitable begrudging appearance of which was kind of like one of those American Idol coronation songs that everyone instantly hated but has to show up anyhow. Diving onto his knees like a true rock god as fireworks went off around him, singer Matt Bellamy did his best to pretend that he wasn't already embarrassed by this song that he will never live down, or that his guitar histrionics didn't seem shameful in comparison to the guy who'd be supplanting him in mere moments, Brian May."

I haven't read any recent interviews. Did I miss something as to where Matt is embarrassed by Survival. This song is going to be awesome live with the guitar breaks and just has potential for all out jammage at the end as well. American reporting really is quite annoying sometimes.

As far as we know he is not embarrassed by it and has no reason to be. You always get loads of bitching when anyone tries to do anything different.

Well, it seems like negative reviews are thought more highly of than positive ones.

Positivity nowdays gets lumped in with "fanboyism" far too often, and insulting things is so commonplace that people need to get creative to stand out, I guess.

The fact that so many of these 'journalists' get so personal is concerning, though. I don't know why we would want to read a bunch of personal attacks instead of a legitimate review of something, good or bad.

When you come into something saying "Muse has sucked for years" or "this song is an embarassment"... why even bother writing the damn thing in the first place? There's not even the illusion of someone being subjective.

A lot of 'reviewers' nowadays don't really review things as much as they just try to sound witty by unfairly ripping the piss out of something. I'm not saying the performance/song/band is without it's criticisms but they get amplified and exaggerated for the sake of sounding clever. It's reviews like that (including this one) you should just ignore.

Sometimes wonder why people with a short-fuse like such make it into journalism. Very bad, unprofessional article.

I agree. I don't care if you write a positive or a negative review, you should always try at least a little to make it seem professional.

It's what I expected from Yahoo, but I've noticed reviews like that going around and it's been bothering me.

Lol, gotta love poor journalism. It doesn't take much research to work out it's the fans who are embarrassed by it, and more embarrassed by the fact that Matt's not embarrassed by it :chuckle::p. I should say 'some fans', as I don't fall in that bracket - I actually like Survival. /controversial comment.

I haven't noticed fans being particularly embarrassed by it tbh. It has received mixed reactions like a lot of Muse's work. Nor do I think liking Survival is controversial. :erm:

Archived