Probably won't be of much interest, but I think I figured out how Matt had his amps setup in 1999/2000

werchter06.jpg

Notice how there's no cable going to the input jack (left side) of the fender, but only the right side... there are only jacks for the effects loop there.

But there's only one cable going to the amp, so it's probably going to the power amp in

I'm GUESSING the setup was...

guitar > whammy, etc > marshall DSL and 4x12 (dry amp) > line out from DSL > DL-4, EQ for mid boost, etc > power amp in on fender amp (wet amp)

I can't quite figure out what he was doing with the other amps that were used sometimes (orange AD30, matchless, soldano, etc). Maybe the roland pedalboard had it's own amp?

wasn't the fender used for the keyboard? maybe that's why it went straight into the power amp?

Also, have you only used the Piledriver BKP set for teles James? I'm having a little read through and the Brown Sugar and Boss sets sound interesting too. Clips of the Piledrivers do sound amazing though. I'm thinking of putting in a RWRP set with push pull volume to go between series and parallel... Good idea, bad idea?

wasn't the fender used for the keyboard? maybe that's why it went straight into the power amp?

Also, have you only used the Piledriver BKP set for teles James? I'm having a little read through and the Brown Sugar and Boss sets sound interesting too. Clips of the Piledrivers do sound amazing though. I'm thinking of putting in a RWRP set with push pull volume to go between series and parallel... Good idea, bad idea?

On the absolution tour it was, but on the showbiz tour I'm pretty sure it was used for guitar only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV5txQobzo4

No keyboard in sight, and the fender amp is there. although, during the outro, if you look closely... he's plugged into the input :confused:

And what sound are you going for? I've used the piledriver bridge pickup, brown sugar set, and stagger '55 set.

Would recommend the brown sugar set over the others - they're a little hotter than the stock tele sound, but they don't lose "that" sound like the piledrivers do.

The '55 set is very nice too (got these in the quilt tele), but pretty wintaeg sounding.

I wouldn't recommend the piledrivers in that case - they do loose a bit of the tele character

unfortunately I don't have the guitar that had the brown sugars anymore, but I'd definitely recommend those for what you want. Maybe sherpa_man can give you his opinion on those as well, as he had that guitar at one point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la074E683ro

i do really like the clean sound on this video though

fJPpPj40UIA especially the mix and neck positions. The crunch tone is pretty good too, even though it's not particularly tele like, but the ENGL probably doesn't help in that respect. They do a good job with all that gain too, even though it's not what I'm going to be using them for it'd be nice to know they can handle it.

Basically as I'm only going to have one guitar I'm thinking of keeping it as versatile as possible..

Was thinking standard 3 way switch with a pull on the volume pot that engages both pickups in series.

For what it's worth, the piledriver in series with a MQ (which should be lower output than a piledriver neck pickup) is a bit over the top.

if you want series, i'd go with lower output pickups.

also, Olly... how easy was it to deal with that eg solidbody guy? seeing as the website is completely in french

tempted to go with one of those instead of warmoth, as the prices seem very reasonable. it excludes the finish though...would have to do that myself i guess :stunned:

For what it's worth, the piledriver in series with a MQ (which should be lower output than a piledriver neck pickup) is a bit over the top.

if you want series, i'd go with lower output pickups.

hmmm ok

you haven't tried The Boss set? The BG Flat 50 set sound promising too.

I need a truly shit set of single coils, i am building a lo-fi strat aiming for some really bad clean sounds. Do any of you know anything like that? Would buying the cheapest chingcoil set from ebay would be a safe bet?

(btw i guess a good EQ could turn anything to shit but i want to build bad tone from the ground-up)

I need a truly shit set of single coils, i am building a lo-fi strat aiming for some really bad clean sounds. Do any of you know anything like that? Would buying the cheapest chingcoil set from ebay would be a safe bet?

(btw i guess a good EQ could turn anything to shit but i want to build bad tone from the ground-up)

Try whatever Al has in his partscaster the BKP "IntelligentAl Signature Hot Bluesdriver Dadrock-Auerbach" set for some great trashy blues/garage-rawk sounds.

Guest Batman.
Try whatever Al has in his partscaster the BKP "IntelligentAl Signature Hot Bluesdriver Dadrock-Auerbach" set for some great trashy blues/garage-rawk sounds.

I'm starting to get the feeling you might have something against Al.. :LOL:

Denis = Penis with a "D"

kbq43q.gif

useful bad like what's in the cheap guitars from the 60's?

or

truly horrible like some of the older korean made guitars? (anything from before the 2000's really)

I'm starting to get the feeling you might have something against Al.. :LOL:

He started it :phu:

kbq43q.gif

:LOL:

or

truly horrible like some of the older korean made guitars? (anything from before the 2000's really)

Pear, try some of those old Harmony goldfoil-type pickups from the sixties. Should be perfect.

or

truly horrible, ideally i would go for something thin sounding with weird mid-spikes or radio like narrow bandwith or icepick highs (i am not after the too bassy or dull kinf of bad now)

btw in the meantime i dug up my "old" squier bullet (it's from the time when the body was made of "sawdust" so it will probably provide a bad enough base tone, sadly it needs a neck) with it's shitty stock pickups and ordered two 10-15$ single-coil sets from ebay hoping they will be bad enough

probably a Jolana or other Soviet/iron-curtain axe would be a better choice but i still have to retain some playability

Pear, try some of those old Harmony goldfoil-type pickups from the sixties. Should be perfect.

where can i get them? (btw it seems like i would have a hard time installing them in a strat)

Pear:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEISCO-UNIVOX-HAGSTROM-COMPLETE-WIRING-HARNESS-3-PICKUPS-W-SELECTOR-SWITCH-/200810513567

you also get that weird rotary switch assembly... WITH MUSTARD CAPS HGNHGHNH

would totally bid on that but the shipping is ~50$:(

but seriously how can anyone profit on things like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Coil-Pickup-for-6-Strings-Electric-Guitar-Black-/150848667310?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item231f47feae

would totally bid on that but the shipping is ~50$:(

but seriously how can anyone profit on things like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Coil-Pickup-for-6-Strings-Electric-Guitar-Black-/150848667310?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item231f47feae

It is harmonious, let the music goes under your fingers' control

With strong magnification

did you buy that one?

wouldn't be surprised if it's REALLY microphonic or doesn't work at all.

oh yes, seemed like a bargain compared to those 13$ PU sets:LOL:

now lets hope for the worst

yeah, and you can always have a go at rewinding it if it doesn't sound bad enough :ninja:

something i want to learn how to do is change magnets on pickups. could be good for shaping my sound

Archived