How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Funny enough the falsetto in Supremacy doesn't actually sound too different to me in pitch or tone but, of course, doesn't sound camp at all.

Probably because of the context it's being used in. For instance, the music with the vocals in Survival is more campy and what Matt is actually saying is more pompous and ridiculous whereas Supremacy is a bit more serious (although Muse is rarely/never particularly serious).

Or sutin.

I still feel like if he'd sung just about ANYthing other than "I'm gonna win" it might have been better. It's just such an awful lyric in that part of the song, imo.

Even the use of "gonna" just irks me.

I don't absolutely detest the song like I used to, anymore, but I still wouldn't listen to it in public. :LOL:

I agree with you , I thought the same - for example... "This is the end" - a line from Apocalypse Please would have sounded better ( not that he would use that one again just stating an example of some other line )...

I still feel like if he'd sung just about ANYthing other than "I'm gonna win" it might have been better. It's just such an awful lyric in that part of the song, imo.

Even the use of "gonna" just irks me.

I don't absolutely detest the song like I used to, anymore, but I still wouldn't listen to it in public. :LOL:

Can't see why it would make any difference which end of the song it is. It's throughout the song in any case. I am not sure there is any other lyric that would put over what the song is essentially about.

Can't see why it would make any difference which end of the song it is. It's throughout the song in any case. I am not sure there is any other lyric that would put over what the song is essentially about.

Not so much the placement, just having that be the lyric of the falsetto, I guess. I've never been one to complain about Muse lyrics prior to Survival, but they definately stand out to me still in a bit of a negative way.

I know what the song is "essentially about" - I just don't get what Matt is actually WINNING in context. :LOL:

Not so much the placement, just having that be the lyric of the falsetto, I guess. I've never been one to complain about Muse lyrics prior to Survival, but they definately stand out to me still in a bit of a negative way.

I know what the song is "essentially about" - I just don't get what Matt is actually WINNING in context. :LOL:

Well winning in the context of being successful singing falsetto perhaps? That is if there is any intentional particular context at all. That is a good thing surely, not a negative thing.

Though if the context is the same as the rest of the song then I can't see what difference singing it in falsetto makes to anyone.

I don't give a damn what he sings. The approach he uses for the note is just so cringeworthy.

Yup, that's the only reason it feels awkward. I have actually found myself changing track or lowering the volume right before the falsetto several times which is something I very rarely do with other songs. I'm glad he does it the 'normal' live atleast and it makes sense since it's way easier technically aswell.

Ive always wanted to see muse live, but if they close with Take a bow, im not going. Take a bow is a so bad, especially as a closer...

If I find the setlist and see Take a Bow as the closer, therefore saving you from disappointment in advance and being an awesome person because of it, can I have your ticket?

Maybe it's the "primal genetics" the song is supposed to be about, but something about "I'm gonna win" falsetto makes my stomach clench up, whereas a non-lyrical falsetto is enjoyable, and even something like "I choose to survive" probably wouldn't have been bad. :LOL:

I think that's a fair argument in context of the song.

I still don't understand what you mean tbh, but never mind.

I think the song isn't exactly about evolution, more about personal or political struggles. "I'm gonna win" includes self belief, which "I choose to survive" doesn't quite capture as that is more about being resilient.

However, I take "I'm gonna win" as tongue in cheek. The whole song has a tongue in cheek element. I think it's about self belief and determination that can be good but can also get to the point where the determination to come out on top, to be the winner, or to be right, becomes self destructive.

I just plain and simple don't like the lyrics, and never will, I suppose. "I'm gonna win" in particular bothers me, as it's just silly and "gonna" is just to... immature? I don't know.

Regardless of what the song "means" the lyrics just irk the crap out of me, and hearing Matt wail "I'm gonna win" into my ears makes it worse. :LOL:

That's all it is, for me, plain and simple.

I'm just taking the song meaning literally from what Matt has said in interviews, btw, haven't really thought too heavily on it.

Just the "human's are hardwired to want to survive" and "this song is about ancient genetics when shit hits the fan... and the Olympics."

David Cameron in today's speech: "We are in a global race today [..] we know what it takes to win, so let's get out and do it".

I think David Cameron has been listening to Survival ;) and echoing it's message without the slightest touch of irony. :chuckle: And there's not an ounce of coincidence in that.

People coopting Uprising for political parties upsets me.... Survival... I would have a good laugh with that. :p

I think Muse would have a good laugh if David Cameron coopted Survival. Course he would have to edit out the falsetto for risk of upsetting the party faithful.

Archived