Were Muse really on shrooms when they recorded Plug in Baby?

Xvm27

They said they were on shrooms when they recorded a few songs. They weren't demos per se, but all those recordings were scrapped when they came off the shrooms and realised all the recordings sounded shit e.g. the New Born intro wasn't piano originally, Matt did it with his voice (similar, I assume, to the voices at the end of the actual recording).

I don't see why anyone would have any sort of drugs before a recording unless they're unable to relax or something. Your ability to play a song that was written long before the actual recording doesn't improve from drugs.

Rumours by Fleetwood Mac was done with them completely coked up for 2 weeks. Country Joe & The Fish, Jefferson Airplane and other San Francisco bands experimented with recording while on LSD. 60/70's German bands did the same, in fact the original singer in Can doesn't actually remember being in the band. :LOL: Basically, lots of music is made on drugs, for people on certain drugs or both.

The only interview I remember regarding mushrooms and OOS was Muse mentioning that by one of the studios, there was a field full of them (And in the UK at the time, they weren't illegal).

I don't think it would be possible to play angst-ridden, high tempo rock if you were all loved up, tripping your tits off convinced you're in Santa's grotto in Southern Italy and your best friends are ghosts or something. :LOL:

Rumours by Fleetwood Mac was done with them completely coked up for 2 weeks. Country Joe & The Fish, Jefferson Airplane and other San Francisco bands experimented with recording while on LSD. 60/70's German bands did the same, in fact the original singer in Can doesn't actually remember being in the band. :LOL: Basically, lots of music is made on drugs, for people on certain drugs or both.

The only interview I remember regarding mushrooms and OOS was Muse mentioning that by one of the studios, there was a field full of them (And in the UK at the time, they weren't illegal).

I don't think it would be possible to play angst-ridden, high tempo rock if you were all loved up, tripping your tits off convinced you're in Santa's grotto in Southern Italy and your best friends are ghosts or something. :LOL:

I know that loads of music is made on drugs, I just don't think a lot of the music we hear is actually RECORDED while on drugs. Especially not PIB.

Oh and "the original singer in Can doesn't actually remember being in the band", cracked me up :LOL:

I know that loads of music is made on drugs, I just don't think a lot of the music we hear is actually RECORDED while on drugs. Especially not PIB.

Oh and "the original singer in Can doesn't actually remember being in the band", cracked me up :LOL:

I don't think it's the case so much these days, in the past it was a different story as the pressure on musicians was far greater. To put it into context, the first 4 Led Zeppelin albums were released within a 2 year period, Pink Floyd's touring schedule was the late 60's could be like 3 shows a day in completely different places (As well as having to fit in studio time).

Musicians do perform on drugs, so the idea they might record on drugs isn't that impossible. But yeah, PIB doesn't sound like a song made on or for psychedelics.

Shaun Ryder started selling sofas from Eddy Grant's studio to pay for crack. :LOL:

No, they were not on shrooms when they recorded it. Anyone who thinks they were clearly has no idea what it does to you.

They might have been when they WROTE some if it though

Actually the did try and record a few tracks apparently, New Born, Plug In Baby, Darkshines and Bliss, but the recordings were so awful they scrapped them and started again a few months later.

I'm sure you can have a bad trip on shrooms. I've never taken shrooms or acid or anything else of that sort, so I can't say from experience.

Also, pretty much all of OoS just reeks of drugs. It sounds like pure drugs to me. Was definitely written while they were on something. And I'm sure some of it (whether it was a little piece or a big chunk of the album) was recorded while they were on something. With all the shrooms and such they were doing back then, SOMETHING on that album must have been recorded while they were high on it. lol

I'm sure you can have a bad trip on shrooms. I've never taken shrooms or acid or anything else of that sort, so I can't say from experience.

Also, pretty much all of OoS just reeks of drugs. It sounds like pure drugs to me. Was definitely written while they were on something. And I'm sure some of it (whether it was a little piece or a big chunk of the album) was recorded while they were on something. With all the shrooms and such they were doing back then, SOMETHING on that album must have been recorded while they were high on it. lol

So you have no experience or real knowledge on drugs, but you're still knowledgeable enough to state that the album is the result of it?

nice. And "With all the shrooms and such they were doing back then", you know, they weren't drug addicts. They tried some shrooms before recording some songs, like Niall said, and it sounded like shit.

So you have no experience or real knowledge on drugs, but you're still knowledgeable enough to state that the album is the result of it?

nice. And "With all the shrooms and such they were doing back then", you know, they weren't drug addicts. They tried some shrooms before recording some songs, like Niall said, and it sounded like shit.

Basically, Muse were so off their faces they thought they were making a full on psy-trance album. Sent it to their label, then came down and wondered what the fuck they'd recorded, by this point, it was too late.

Archived