Why does Citizen Erased have such a big following?

Xvm27

I love Muse and Citizen Erased, but I never really understood why the song is so popular among Muse fans. It's like the number one favorite of fans and the song they want most for them to play live. Again, I really do like the song, I just don't get the whole obsession of it. What am I missing here?

It kind of highlights all that's good about the band. The riffs are heavy and can really get a crowd going. The slower parts (especially the ending) are very emotional and the piano parts are great. The lyrics are also a strong point of the song.

I'm not sure if it's my all time favorite Muse song, but there's a lot of strong points in the song. Even years after it was written it still delivers live so people love seeing it come up.

I'll quote what Pib posted on ML in response to a similar question because it pretty much sums it up

Citizen Erased is the best example of one song summing up everything about Muse. It perfectly encapsulates everything that made the band great at that time in seven minutes. It has driving bass, the great riff, the unorthodox solo, the piano finish, and it shows off the best of both the heavy and the soft side of the band. It was epic without every being cheesy, and long before the word epic became more misused than the word random. This was an epic in the traditional sense of the word. It's even one of the rare examples of pretty good lyrics.

Regardless of all that though, it's just a great song, really. And even now, if I go back and listen to it, it still surprises me just how good it is.

It's the best Muse song, and their defining song, for me.

Hopefully next tour, the fans will drive home Showbiz and Dead Star's popularity like Bliss and CE's this tour.

To be fair Showbiz and Dead Star were probably in the top 5 on quite a few of the polls, the band just didn't play them.

Also I can't see the crowd who vote Knights and Uprising to the top even though they're played at every gig going away.

Also I can't see the crowd who vote Knights and Uprising to the top even though they're played at every gig going away.

This is because whoever set up the polls is completely retarded and gave the idiot casuals the opportunity to vote for all the regulars, while Dead Star (among other songs) wasn't even an option to vote for.

This is because whoever set up the polls is completely retarded and gave the idiot casuals the opportunity to vote for all the regulars, while Dead Star (among other songs) wasn't even an option to vote for.

What was the poll even for? I was under the impression it meant they would play "one or a few bonus songs" to go along with OoS. Yet it seemed like they played 10+ of their most popular songs afterward. Were those actually all the top rated songs to be played, or was the poll completely ignored?

What was the poll even for? I was under the impression it meant they would play "one or a few bonus songs" to go along with OoS. Yet it seemed like they played 10+ of their most popular songs afterward. Were those actually all the top rated songs to be played, or was the poll completely ignored?

What poll are you referring to? We were talking about the summer setlist polls. There was no official poll for Reading and Leeds.

Ya seeing Hysteria, KoC and Uprising in the top 5 that often was just ... ridiculous.

I'll quote what Pib posted on ML in response to a similar question because it pretty much sums it up

Citizen Erased is the best example of one song summing up everything about Muse. It perfectly encapsulates everything that made the band great at that time in seven minutes. It has driving bass, the great riff, the unorthodox solo, the piano finish, and it shows off the best of both the heavy and the soft side of the band. It was epic without every being cheesy, and long before the word epic became more misused than the word random. This was an epic in the traditional sense of the word. It's even one of the rare examples of pretty good lyrics.

Regardless of all that though, it's just a great song, really. And even now, if I go back and listen to it, it still surprises me just how good it is.

It's the best Muse song, and their defining song, for me.

This, but I wouldn't say it's their best song in my opinion. Pretty close, though.

CE has got a little something for everyone... powering basslines, many flavours of guitar, introspective lyrics, symphonic licks mixed throughout, and a vocal style ranging from restrained crooning to balls-out wailing. But what really makes the song for me is the way it resolves through a combination of delicate piano, tender falsetto and that beautiful synth ambience before transitioning straight into Micro Cuts. It's the rare Muse song that couldn't sound any better live or on record.

• 3 years later...
You should be named Aeterna - The Almighty Thread Resurrector

:D I'm done now. I've been going through the entire forum because I'm in a Muse mood and this board isn't extremely active. Found some great discussions and polls, though :)

Plus, these are great topics that can still be discussed. Resurrecting threads is often frowned upon, but I've never understood that because it's either that or create a new thread on the same thing, right?

Archived