james90

It was an Amer. Standard Deluxe. Great guitar.

JT

Hey Impulse, I'm not sure if you're still lurking, but I just got my bassman back from the tech. It works now, but almost $1000 for an AB165 which might not actually be stock...

I did find something pretty amazing the other day. It's an old Marshall head which Dave F. pretty much rebuilt from the ground up...not with his usual mods, but something with the VH tone in mind. It was done back in 2006 I think.

It looks like a plexi circuit with a master volume for the most part, but there has to be something else going on in there. Like some sort of...magic :doobie:

Not lurking, I just got back from out of town on an unexpected trip.

That sucks about the Bassman. Like I said before, I'd put a solid state loop kit in it and use it as a power amp, but that's just me.

The Freidman stuff rules, no matter which mod he does. He worked on Eddie's famed Marshall's so I assume that he knows those amps as well as anyone. He's one of the best amp techs in the world. The new Steve Stevens models are going to be awesome, I can't wait to hear one.

When it comes to modded Marshall's Dave is the most accessible of the elite guys. John Suhr has a waiting list ten miles long, if you can get on it and Reinhold Bogner doesn't do them anymore.

JT

Not lurking, I just got back from out of town on an unexpected trip.

That sucks about the Bassman. Like I said before, I'd put a solid state loop kit in it and use it as a power amp, but that's just me.

The Freidman stuff rules, no matter which mod he does. He worked on Eddie's famed Marshall's so I assume that he knows those amps as well as anyone. He's one of the best amp techs in the world. The new Steve Stevens models are going to be awesome, I can't wait to hear one.

When it comes to modded Marshall's Dave is the most accessible of the elite guys. John Suhr has a waiting list ten miles long, if you can get on it and Reinhold Bogner doesn't do them anymore.

JT

Any loop in particular? I've heard great things about these

http://metroamp.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=499

I might do something like that. It sounded like the tech was 50/50 about the power transformer being a replacement...I suppose not being the most desirable circuit and not being a great example to begin with means I can mod away.

And yeah, he apparently restored that amp recently after it was butchered in the late 90's. Pretty sure I read John Suhr worked on it as well

I was actually going to buy a new amp from Dave, but I'm guessing he's pretty busy with that Steve Stevens amp as I didn't get a reply....then this amp popped up second hand.

Can't really describe how it sounds though. It definitely gets close to "that" tone, but that's just going straight into the amp...if I had an echoplex and all that other junk, it would probably be spot on. Not running it at 90v either, though I should give that a try as the previous owner did that.

This also sounds pretty nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HlmLdsqXZc

11:40

game over.

Pete makes everything sound good, he's frightening. I bought the Soundblox Pro Distortion the day after I heard his demo and I don't regret it. It's one of the coolest sounding pedals around and it "out-wierds" the Fuzz Factory any day of the week.

If you have a Brown Eye and now the DF EVH style head you should have all of your Marshall flavors covered. It's really a matter small differences after that.

The Metroamp loop kit is the best one out there right now. It's fairly cheap, easy enough to install and sound good. Most of the guys who mod amps buy that kit now because it's so much easier than doing it from scratch.

JT

PS Pete has a lesson on how to properly play Eruption in it's entirety on You Tube somewhere. EVH's tone is all about the hands.

Edited by Impulse 101

Pete makes everything sound good, he's frightening. I bought the Soundblox Pro Distortion the day after I heard his demo and I don't regret it. It's one of the coolest sounding pedals around and it "out-wierds" the Fuzz Factory any day of the week.

If you have a Brown Eye and now the DF EVH style head you should have all of your Marshall flavors covered. It's really a matter small differences after that.

The Metroamp loop kit is the best one out there right now. It's fairly cheap, easy enough to install and sound good. Most of the guys who mod amps buy that kit now because it's so much easier than doing it from scratch.

JT

PS Pete has a lesson on how to properly play Eruption in it's entirety on You Tube somewhere. EVH's tone is all about the hands.

Yeah, I've had a look at that pedal. It looks cool, but I don't know if I could handle it to be honest!

I've never really been into single pedals that do a lot of different things, but rather a lot of pedals that do a few different things....or something like that

And yeah, I have an 70's 50 watt Marshall with most of his standard mods (brown eye, hairy brown eye, custom 45, fat switch, saturation switch, and a high end cut switch).

It's incredibly versatile and just sounds unbelievable. He just has a way of tapping into an old Marshall and getting loads of different sounds, but it still sounds like a Marshall should.

With the other one...that's basically a "plexi about to explode" sound, though it does clean up nicely. Not nearly as many sounds available as it's still pretty much a stock super lead circuit (from what I see), but it's a good one. Very gainy, and that elusive "fizz" is there.

I've never learned eruption note for note or anything. I usually screw it up one way or another, but I know the tapping part well enough.

Yeah, I've had a look at that pedal. It looks cool, but I don't know if I could handle it to be honest!

I've never really been into single pedals that do a lot of different things, but rather a lot of pedals that do a few different things....or something like that

And yeah, I have an 70's 50 watt Marshall with most of his standard mods (brown eye, hairy brown eye, custom 45, fat switch, saturation switch, and a high end cut switch).

It's incredibly versatile and just sounds unbelievable. He just has a way of tapping into an old Marshall and getting loads of different sounds, but it still sounds like a Marshall should.

With the other one...that's basically a "plexi about to explode" sound, though it does clean up nicely. Not nearly as many sounds available as it's still pretty much a stock super lead circuit (from what I see), but it's a good one. Very gainy, and that elusive "fizz" is there.

I've never learned eruption note for note or anything. I usually screw it up one way or another, but I know the tapping part well enough.

Honestly, I only use pedals in the studio. I HATE them live. I use three dirt pedals live but they are in my rack, in a switcher with a power supply. I hate fucking around with a pedalboard live. Having to get down on my knees to change delay settings or the sweep of my phaser. I set my pedals in the rack and then leave them for the most part. I will tweak the settings a bit during sound check but after that it's all programs. Every song has it's own program in my AxeFX (used for FX only, no modelling) and all of the time based effects are sync'd to the song tempo and tap tempo if we change speeds on the fly.

The Soundblox has MIDI, which makes it more useful to me since I can set it to do different sounds and then recall them via MIDI.

I'm hooked on racks and controllers. I dumped pedals live back in the early 90's and I'll never go back. I'd rather program something really well once than fuck with it endlessly during the set. I have a hard enough time learning the fifty songs in the set and keeping all of the keys and solos in my sleep addled memory.

JT

Edited by Impulse 101

Guest Batman.
I got my new microphone on thursday and got my new earphones today. I noticed something when they were beside my headphones

Al4GIusCAAAuJ7w.jpg

/fanboy

Fuck I love Sennheiser products so much. Such excellent quality, and generally great value too.

/fanboyalso

Nice, did you have the 335 sorted with the new electronics and pickups yet?

I think I see the kaoss ukelele in the corner :ninja:

cheers, i kept the pickups, just bought a rs 335 kits, cts pots, and mojo caps, sounds like a different guitar, very very nice, i had to tweek the axe though, sounded to punchy. The good thing is with my axe when i select my amps i can hit and switch to match the guitar if that makes sence. The Marshall 800 is the one im using for the dirty channel with the ac30 for the cleans with a modded tube screamer for the drive. Loving it.

About a year and a half ago, I told myself "I don't need more than two pedals!".

How wrong was I? :facepalm:

tumblr_lzuw649RKK1r9o623o1_500.jpg

My foot looks so fucked up in that picture :LOL:

PS-5 > SD-1 > Little Big Muff > Double Muff > Vibratrem > Echohead > cute little Fender Champ

It's actually a great little amp. Shit goes down when you get to crank it up (which in my case, is almost never):( Been tempted to buy a second one actually! That said, I did have a few little cutting out problems when I got it, but it was fixed by re-setting the tubes. :happy: