Weird things that actually work

Dave.

Whats the weirdest thing you've tried and its actually worked?

Mine has to be putting a fuzz factory in the chain for my vocals and my falsetto sounded unreal!! And I was able to sing about 3 feet away from the mic while keeping a very good volume.

Putting a 300 watt 100 ohm resistor between the primaries of the output transformer (pin 3 of the two center power tube sockets) of an amp. Watch those tubes melt and potentially blow up the OT, but the TONE makes it worth it.

:doobie:

The only thing i understood in that post was the fat doobie.

Mine has to be putting a fuzz factory in the chain for my vocals and my falsetto sounded unreal!! And I was able to sing about 3 feet away from the mic while keeping a very good volume.

Fuzz Factorying a mic is insane fun. I'm not a singer but did it at a mates house and it sounded awesome. And then you get it oscillating...

Distorted acoustic is always great. Distorted acoustic bass is a fucking nightmare for feedback!

One weird thing i'm quite proud of is a guitar sound I got by using extreme compression, EQ and reverb. I was recording a friend of mine play acoustic guitar and while I listened I noticed all the gorgeous harmonics in the upper frequencies. I knew I had to bring them out, so that's what I did. It ended up sounding like a keyboard accompaniment to the dry acoustic guitar.

I definitely want to see a video of someone doing that (someone who can actually sing would be good, haha). Wish I'd tested it while I had my mic now. Sounds like a cool idea though, especially if you get it oscillating half way through.

Fuzz Factory last in the chain.

MIND. BLOWN. :eek:

Yeah, you actually get some nice clear fuzz sounds out of it like that. It renders some of the knobs completely useless so you can't oscillate with it there, but if you're using a Whammy or something, sometimes it sounds much better like that.

I think Bs said it a couple of months ago - if you're on distortion and you play a song on the ipod, it whirs up and you out it next to the pickups... it sounds like wind... :eek:

Haha, yeah, hold the iPod next to your pickups and turn it on/select a song with a distorted amp, and you get that crazy whirring sound amped up. I'm so going to try and have some fun with it when I get my delay pedal or kaoss pad! :chuckle:

Archived