just a couple of quick ones:

1070015_10151737058235944_1811260421_n.jpg

1069900_10151737056085944_1880541880_n.jpg

can't really see the aging at all, but i'll take some new pics soon

no major issues with the setup - just needs the neck straightened out a tiny bit, but i might have to undo that by tomorrow. can't really play it as i cut my finger open on a drill bit :facepalm: very nice anyway. highly recommended, great for the price, can't go wrong BUY ONE NOW

The DHL guy that delivered it knew that I was waiting a while, and he didn't have anything particularly good to say about the depot that was causing this problem...

the poles are exposed, but because its worn they look black. you could scrape them a bit and they'd come out. they're not staggered because the staggered pickups would have been too bright what with the maple neck and brass nut and bridge

How much did you pay it in the end, James? It does look fantastic.

Thanks - I'm guessing it's not a big deal if I say since it's done now, but I think it was £1800-ish (can't remember the exact price, but around that)

I did supply the bridge for it, but I don't think that made much of a difference in the final price

The aging is a little heavier than I expected, but I love how it looks.

Too bright?? No such thing mate, that's what tone controls are for ;)

Yeah, but it seems like tone controls usually have a different sort of effect. I usually have mine all the way up, but when I do use them, I really only turn them down 1/3 of the way at most.

I was originally going to go with a brighter pickup (BKP '68 tele something or other) but the BKP man said it would be painfully bright in this setup. I did want a bright and aggressive tele sound, but it might have been a bit much

next up...

desiree4_zpsbe748a11.jpg

backnatural_zps4bd14a32.jpg

south american mahogany 'wings'

flame maple top

22 fret ebony fretboard (10-16 compound radius, 6105 SS frets, graphite nut)

standard 12th fret inlay (pearl) with aluminum tubing side dots

5-piece maple/mahogany/maple/mahogany/maple thru neck

gotoh 510 wraparound bridge

red burst finish on top, natural back (all gloss)

2x humbucker sized pickups (most likely BKP mississippi queen neck, bridge pickup tbc)

gotoh 510 tuners

all hardware in solid black

black headstock logo (black pearloid type material)

headstock front to match front of body (flame maple with red burst finish)

1x volume, 1x tone, 3 way toggle switch

You've got an addiction James

I know

:)

Gave it a good play today - definitely has the sound I wanted. I think the bridge pickup could use a little more attack, but I'm sure my secret GSK settings will sort this out. Out of phase setting is really useful... doesn't sound all hollow like on my green tele.

hooglebug, what's the nut width on this? I picked up one of my other guitars for a few minutes then switched back to this, and it felt like playing the 7 string!

very happy with it overall - looking forward to getting the thru neck built!

How's the pick up height? Raise it up and you should get a bit more attack.

I actually lowered both pickups a little as they seemed to be messing with the intonation. I've had a major issue with this on my strat as well

They're still close, but not up against the strings like before (the bridge was probably about 2mm away before I lowered it)

fucking magnets

liking this guitar a lot - not 100% sure about the brass nut though, as it tends to do that sitar thing on a few strings.

i took some more pictures, but they're not as good as the ones that you lot have already seen.

hooglebug, i'm having a set of pickups made for that red strat - would it be cool if i have them sent directly to you? seeing as they're coming from the UK to begin with

also, did I pay you for the replacement neck for that one? I can't remember

i didnt know there was going to be a replacement neck for that one. unless i've just forgotten too. i'll check my bank statements. and yeah send the pickups here if you want.

regarding the sitar noises - i had that with a couple of the strings and couldnt work out what it was, until i remembered that the tuners are haps. i lowered the ones that were ringing and it stopped. trying changing the heights up and down and see if it stops it

Jamie, I'm on tour with Guster for the Last Summer on Earth tour. It's Guster, Barenaked Ladies, and Ben Folds Five.

We just did a show in Maine last night, these highways are shit. Can't sleep. You should definitely try and make it, it has been a killer show. Especially Ben Folds, he is unreal.

hooglebug, i have a question, i have an old truetone archtop i got for cheap but the fretboard is a little crap to say the least and has a slight separation at the headstock end, i was wondering if you'd be able to remove the current fretboard and make a new one so that it has a better playability

any help would be great! :)

his bass player is fucking ace (If it's the one i'm thinking of)

Robert Sledge, same guy that's been with him. Check him out on Erase Me from bens latest album. May be building a bass for him. He's one of my favorite bassists.

James, do you have both of ants builds with you now?

Archived