Sing for absolution live...

bluesteel07

hey... so sing for absolution is one of my fav muse songs if not my fav. my fav part of the song is when matt sings "falling from your grace" but when he sings it in chest voice not falcetto. for two of the three times he sings that line in the album version it is in his chest voice. i feel like it really adds a ton of emotion and epicness to the song. however in every live version ive ever seen he sings only in falcetto for those lines. my question... is if anyone knows of a live version where he sings it as he does in the album version.

I know what you mean.

The earlier S4A performances (2003/2004) were the best, Glastonbury being my favourite by far. Live, he changed the solo, it was all half a step down, and sang the 'Our wrongs remain..' bit differently, sounding loads more epic. And an awesome bassline in the outro. With killswitch :D.

The Glasto version is immense, particularly the last few lines where Matt just goes mental with the 'AAAANSNNNNNNDDDDDDD OOOOOOUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRR SSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!'.

4:17 in the video I post above :D.

EDIT: Fuck me, Muse were so good live back then :'(.

And they are even better now! its just a shame they don't play as much of their older stuff, like Sing For Absolution

Glasto version :awesome:

I agree! Many peolpe say think that they are a bad live band nowadays because they don`t play their older songs anymore...

Their performances nowadays are much better!

I agree! Many peolpe say think that they are a bad live band nowadays because they don`t play their older songs anymore...

Their performances nowadays are much better!

Maybe, MAYBE if you look at doing things to perfection. But for me, live music isn't about doing things just like they are in studio, it's about energy, emotion and power(when it comes to bands like Muse), which is why I consider for example Glasto 04 a lot better than 10.

And a good performance doesn't make a shit song good.

And they are even better now! its just a shame they don't play as much of their older stuff, like Sing For Absolution

Muse ignoring their older songs isn't what makes them worse live now (though it sure as hell doesn't help). Watch the video for Plug in Baby from Boston in '09 (the infamous "point and laugh," and a gig I sold a ticket to because my friends are bums and dragged their feet on getting theirs :mad:). I watched that to see the "point and laugh" bit and thought to myself, "Wow, I'm really glad I didn't go to this gig." Matt looks bored as shit and when he spins around it's just like he's saying, "Here, old fans, remember when I did stuff like this and it wasn't contrived?" I don't know, I probably have no right to comment as I haven't been to a Resistance tour gig, but it just seems like they're sort of going through the motions. As someone else said, less energy and more production. Less improv and jumping around and more...videos, I guess.

...All that being said, they do need to start playing older songs. ;)

Edit: Guess I should link that video.

The Glasto version is immense, particularly the last few lines where Matt just goes mental with the 'AAAANSNNNNNNDDDDDDD OOOOOOUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRR SSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!'.

4:17 in the video I post above :D.

EDIT: Fuck me, Muse were so good live back then :'(.

+10000000000000

Glasto was epic, and Abso era Muse was the best in terms of live performance :D. They were so free and open on stage and delivered amazing performances. It didn't feel over-rehearsed or over-thought, because they simply didn't over-think/rehearse - they just went with the flow and it was awesome! SS @ Glasto is their best ever performance, imo. It was a defining moment for them - everyone started to Really notice them as an amazing live band cos they just seemed to say FUCK IT after the song was over and gave us 4-5 mins of pure and unrelenting insanity. <3 I wish they'd go back to that and hang up the poofter glitter outfits, lol :p

I think Muse are better now, but that's mostly because I prefer the newer material to their older one and think that they have more variety in their sound nowadays - Glasto 2004 is great and has awesome energy, but I also find it rather samey.

I'd absolutely love to hear Sing For Absolution live, shame that it's unlikely to ever happen.

Muse ignoring their older songs isn't what makes them worse live now (though it sure as hell doesn't help). Watch the video for Plug in Baby from Boston in '09 (the infamous "point and laugh," and a gig I sold a ticket to because my friends are bums and dragged their feet on getting theirs :mad:). I watched that to see the "point and laugh" bit and thought to myself, "Wow, I'm really glad I didn't go to this gig." Matt looks bored as shit and when he spins around it's just like he's saying, "Here, old fans, remember when I did stuff like this and it wasn't contrived?"

Even though I considered the 09 Boston gig excellent (it blew MSG the night before away), this is the exact same thought I had when seeing Matt do his Plug In Baby twirls on the Resistance tour (along with the condensed shuffle dance).

Matt looks bored as shit and when he spins around it's just like he's saying, "Here, old fans, remember when I did stuff like this and it wasn't contrived?"

I think that, after the band played Plug in Baby as many times as they have, Matt probably does the "twirl" as a reflex :)

Maybe it's just that it's become over-familiar to some people who've seen Muse may times over.

Sadly there isn't a live performance where Matt sings all of the final lines with his head voice. It's simply too much of a strain for his voice, shame really! I'm sure he could do it if he really went for it. He manages the 'aaaannnd our soouuuulllss' part really well but obviously struggles with the other lines.

The closed you'll get to the studio version is the Brussels performance from 2003. One of the only times where they played the song in it's original key :)

Sadly there isn't a live performance where Matt sings all of the final lines with his head voice. It's simply too much of a strain for his voice, shame really! I'm sure he could do it if he really went for it. He manages the 'aaaannnd our soouuuulllss' part really well but obviously struggles with the other lines.

The closed you'll get to the studio version is the Brussels performance from 2003. One of the only times where they played the song in it's original key :)

I'm pretty sure he doesn't do it in head voice in the studio either :p

Archived