(ANOTHER)! Mattocaster Build

Lord MFC

Hi guys - heres my 1st mattocaster build (my second guitar) in progress. It will be a bit like the M1D1

here are the specs -

Body - African Mahogany 1 pc flat top

Neck - Probs Birdseye maple (but I havent bought it yet)

Pickups - Fernandes sustainer humbucker in the neck and I havent quite decided

for the bridge (maybe a kent armstrong or a bare knuckle nailbomb?)

Midi control screen

Mirror acrylic top face

Black binding

I may have a few qu's as well!

here it is so far - The top face will be routed over the weekend and i'll hopefully check back on monday with some pics of the finished body...

EDIT: oo and thanks Jedediah for the midi screen - you are a legend!

015.jpg.3967c9ee361e4c2be393ccd8fe1977ed.jpg

In think cuz you cut the kaoss pad shape out all the way through the body you´l be getting a lot less sustain.

:eek:... i didn't think of that... but if you look at pictures of matt's guitars hes got a cavity cover over the kaoss pad rout so it can't be the end of the world! i dont mind sooo much about the sustain though.

awesome Your lucky you had CNC to help you im thinking of finding someone with CNC for my next build. So far tho im looking forward to seeing this come out. Are you doing mirror style?

yep. the guy whos cncing it is cutting the top face out of mirror acrylic and im gonna stick it on with gorilla glue ;)

whats with the three extra holes behind the ferrules and around the midi controller cavity?

yeah those where a small mistake. the string ferrules holes basically went all the way though (to screw the bridge on) I really should have drilled them myself when its finished being machined... the kaoss pad ones where the same mistake but to screw the perspex frame on.

oh yeah also hooglebug, do you make necks? i'm looking for a 25.5 scale birdseye maple neck rosewood fingerboard, no inlay in the fingerboard... 57.5mm at the heel.

I need to sell a few things first to afford it but can you name me a price?

not even for the bridge???

have you done the screw holes the same size as the holes in the bridge? if so then a screw isnt going to screw into it.

they're that big in the bridge because the screw just needs to pass through it, not actually screw into it.

you're going to have to dowel all those holes (not the ones the strings go through obviously) and re-drill them

and yes i make necks. usually around £250 depending on spec and finish. if you wanted mirror on it it would be more

have you done the screw holes the same size as the holes in the bridge? if so then a screw isnt going to screw into it.

they're that big in the bridge because the screw just needs to pass through it, not actually screw into it.

you're going to have to dowel all those holes (not the ones the strings go through obviously) and re-drill them

Ok - thanks I'll do that as soon as i get it back from the cnc man!

and yes i make necks. usually around £250 depending on spec and finish. if you wanted mirror on it it would be more

Great - i MAY order a neck from you when i scrape some more money together...! I'll do some research into custom necks - i know there's places like Warmoth but they dont do 57.5mm heels :mad:

Ok - thanks I'll do that as soon as i get it back from the cnc man!

Great - i MAY order a neck from you when i scrape some more money together...! I'll do some research into custom necks - i know there's places like Warmoth but they dont do 57.5mm heels :mad:

you normally have the neck and fit the cavity to that. if you did want hoodlebug to make the neck, might be best if you send him the body

Here is the body in it's state at the moment... The acrylic IS mirrored... that's just a protective film (hopfully!)

looks like you'll have trouble fixing any pots to that as well. holes for the pots look far too big on the mirror unless you get MASSIVE washers for them

and the binding channel looks very deep. binding is usually 6 - 7mm deep

looks like you'll have trouble fixing any pots to that as well. holes for the pots look far too big on the mirror unless you get MASSIVE washers for them

and the binding channel looks very deep. binding is usually 6 - 7mm deep

the binding and the pot size is all correct to my stuff here. i think it should be ok :cool:

Whats the thickness of the binding and hole size for the pots? As Hooglebug said, it already looks to big now before you add the mirror top. The pot holes also look like they're nearly big enough for the actual knobs themselves.

Also, if it was me, I'd have the route for the electronics going all the way through the body and have everything fastened to the mirror top just like a pickguard, otherwise you may have trouble getting enough thread from the switches etc for the nuts to screwed on to.

Whats the thickness of the binding and hole size for the pots? As Hooglebug said, it already looks to big now before you add the mirror top. The pot holes also look like they're nearly big enough for the actual knobs themselves.

Also, if it was me, I'd have the route for the electronics going all the way through the body and have everything fastened to the mirror top just like a pickguard, otherwise you may have trouble getting enough thread from the switches etc for the nuts to screwed on to.

I did a mirror top for a friend and did it the same way he did it. i just used longshaft pots. I wanted to have as much wood in there as possible. Worked out great.

I did a mirror top for a friend and did it the same way he did it. i just used longshaft pots. I wanted to have as much wood in there as possible. Worked out great.

Yeah and plus i'm using 16mm diameter and extra long pots so they will fit. also i got the binding sizes off stew mac so i'm not worried

Archived