Are muse now commercial?

Georgieboy

I'm currently researching for my A2 media critical Investigation and as a keen fan I'm trying to find out whether in recent years the media have been responsible for a more commercial representation of muse to thier fans? Do you beleive this to be true? If so isit a good or bad thing?

I'm currently researching for my A2 media critical Investigation and as a keen fan I'm trying to find out whether in recent years the media have been responsible for a more commercial representation of muse to thier fans? Do you beleive this to be true? If so isit a good or bad thing?

I can't give an complete overview as I haven't followed Muse long enough, but I get the impression that the media have always been involved in giving Muse a commercial representation which may or may not be in line with who they really are. If you look at the early interviews in the collection edition of NME, they're quite sensationalist and paint Muse in quite a dark way, I suppose in fitting with their earlier music. More recently they're painted as sci fic, crazy and bombastic. I don't know how much of that is to do with Muse changing or with how the media sees them changing, but I noticed the shift, having got to know Muse in more recent years and then reading the old interviews.

Muse have been what you might want to call a 'commercial' or 'mainstream' band since Showbiz. They've had massive radio hits, grown steadily from a small club band to massive stadium act and have seen their music feature in a number of huge film franchises.

However, it must be said that since Muse signed a long term deal with Warner in 2005 (...?), they've certainly become far far far more visible and accessible to a much wider audience.

However, it must be said that since Muse signed a long term deal with Warner in 2005 (...?), they've certainly become far far far more visible and accessible to a much wider audience.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say :yesey:

Before Warner, it was a rare treat to see Muse in a magazine, let alone the cover, now they're bloody everywhere, it's not a bad thing, it's just sometimes, too much of a good thing can make you tired of it.

Muse have been what you might want to call a 'commercial' or 'mainstream' band since Showbiz. They've had massive radio hits, grown steadily from a small club band to massive stadium act and have seen their music feature in a number of huge film franchises.

Why else sign with a major?

Before Warner, it was a rare treat to see Muse in a magazine, let alone the cover, now they're bloody everywhere, it's not a bad thing, it's just sometimes, too much of a good thing can make you tired of it.

IDK...I have lots of issues of NME and Kerrang/etc pre-2006 that have Muse on the cover or at least a big feature to do with Muse.

Oh and Rocksound, I have the Absolution era issue of that with Matt on the cover looking a bit weirder than usual.

In terms of TV commercial exposure...there infamous L&K appearance was 2001. Personally I do recall them getting a lot more TV/radio exposure once OoS was out compared to Showbiz but even with that album they made it onto TOTPs.

IDK...I have lots of issues of NME and Kerrang/etc pre-2006 that have Muse on the cover or at least a big feature to do with Muse.

Oh and Rocksound, I have the Absolution era issue of that with Matt on the cover looking a bit weirder than usual.

In terms of TV commercial exposure...there infamous L&K appearance was 2001. Personally I do recall them getting a lot more TV/radio exposure once OoS was out compared to Showbiz but even with that album they made it onto TOTPs.

I remember New Born and Bliss being on Radio 1 a lot in 2001

Yes, I'd say they're now commercial, at least, they are definitely far more commercial now than they were, say 10 years ago. The Muse we see now with the huge stage shows and the LED suits are a far cry from the Muse that were introduced to us all with Showbiz. They seem to have lost their "underground" "unique" edge over time and they're far more accessible to the mainstream now than they were when Matt was performing songs like "Micro Cuts" and smashing the stage up with his (non-Manson) guitar.

But it happens to most musical artists--you sign with a major label, you get exposure in film and television, and you become "commercial". While it may not be a bad thing, it does end up changing the artist in the end.

When weren't they commercial?

Archived