Matt "not well known enough" for a licensed line of guitars

Stellaris

Sorry if this has been posted before; I searched and couldn't find it. It's actually Hugh Manson talking about how he met Matt - and how he's unable to find a manufacturer willing to make a mass-produced line of Bellamy guitars because Matt apparently isn't famous enough:

The relationship with Bellamy began when he frequented Manson's shop as an Exeter College student, so when he got his first record label advance he went straight to Hugh to ask him to build a guitar - an aluminium covered industrial-looking model, which they designed together and Bellamy termed "The DeLorean", after the car synonymous with the film Back To The Future. Manson has since built him 17 different guitars.

But despite approaching several manufacturers at trade shows in recent years to licence the designs, all turned down his offer. "I spoke to Matt as we were getting enquiries for guitars I can't make, so I approached a few manufacturers. But I got turned down by every single one of them on the basis that he was not well known enough, which is hysterical!"

Source

I guess i have to agree with this, Matt has never been one to be concerned with getting into the public eye, neither has anything outrageous come about to put him there. It's the same with Dom and Chris really...

It's like most bands, the brand name (in this case Muse) may be easily recognised, and the people doing all the work in the band are meerly them guys from muse.

I'm sorry but I think I must have misread that :eek:?!?!?! nope checked again, maybe its not me that's mad then, maybe it really is the rest of the world :p?????? How can they say this genius of a man is not famous enough????? where do these people live?!?!?!?:mad:

I guess i have to agree with this, Matt has never been one to be concerned with getting into the public eye, neither has anything outrageous come about to put him there. It's the same with Dom and Chris really...

It's like most bands, the brand name (in this case Muse) may be easily recognised, and the people doing all the work in the band are meerly them guys from muse.

I agree, I know very few people who have even heard of Muse, never mind Matt. Although that may be changing now that he's all over the tabloids and celebrity gossip. Maybe that's his real reason for finding a famous girlfriend... he wants to get famous and have his own line of guitars! ;)

I agree, I know very few people who have even heard of Muse, never mind Matt. Although that may be changing now that he's all over the tabloids and celebrity gossip. Maybe that's his real reason for finding a famous girlfriend... he wants to get famous and have his own line of guitars! ;)

:LOL:

Secretly he wants to be famous so people will believe him when he finally gets abducted by aliens like Dom...:p

Back to the thread, when i was on Holiday in Torquay last week, i dragged my parents to Teignmouth with me...I had the grey resistance tour top on, with the huge pictures of the guys on, i also had a muse hoody around my waste, aswell as walking around with 3 muse posters....Throughout the whole day in Teignmouth, there was 1 old lady who recognised the muse name and began telling her grandchildren that muse were from there...

I'm sorry but I think I must have misread that :eek:?!?!?! nope checked again, maybe its not me that's mad then, maybe it really is the rest of the world :p?????? How can they say this genius of a man is not famous enough????? where do these people live?!?!?!?:mad:

Talent =/= fame, sadly

I'd imagine there's more to it than just that.

Signature guitars are often done to cash in on people wanting a certain guitar by that brand, they won't necessarily license them because who would want a signature guitar by a different company?

Also Matt doesn't have a "signature" guitar any more, he's had so many built now with all sorts of stuff built in that a whole line of them would be unjustifiable as they'd be very expensive (Well, they are, the Manson ones cost thousands).

If Matt started playing a Fender or Gibson, they'd be all over him to put a signature guitar into production.

:LOL: wtf

But yeah, I have to admit. A lot of people don't know Matt's name, they may know Muse, but they don't know who I'm talking about when I say Matt Bellamy. :noey:

A friend of mine even has Origin of Symmetry but didn't know who Matt was when I mentioned him the other day. She doesn't have any other Muse albums though so not a huge fan.

but matt does have a signature guitar. the mb1.

only reason he doesnt have one made by fender or gibson is because he doesnt play fenders or gibsons live, he plays mansons, hence having a manson signature guitar. fender are hardly going to do a slash model.

but matt does have a signature guitar. the mb1.

only reason he doesnt have one made by fender or gibson is because he doesnt play fenders or gibsons live, he plays mansons, hence having a manson signature guitar. fender are hardly going to do a slash model.

Yep and I don't know why a customer would want to buy a Fender or Gibson built version of Matt's guitar. Anyone after a Bellamy guitar wants a Manson. Just like you can get great versions of Fender guitars by G&L & Tokai (Though I do think G&L are massively overrated, Tokai are fantastic though), but people, including myself want Fender on the headstock and Corona, California on the neckplate.

Also, there's a massive difference between being a famous guitarist among guitarists & aspiring guitarists and being famous among the general public. If any company genuinely thought Matt Bellamy wasn't famous enough for the guitar world, how these companies can function is beyond me.

I wonder if the availability of certain components isn't another, strictly secondary, factor. I'm pretty sure I read once that Matt favors the second version of the Korg Kaoss X-Y screen thingy, and that that model went out of production years ago... so even if a major manufacturer wanted to deal with Manson, wouldn't they have to secure a huge stash of these screens first, or negotiate further with Korg to restart production, to make authentic replicas of those models?

There might be a similar issue with some of the effects pedals and amps he's been vocal about using. I'm pretty sure I've read that one of the amps he loves using the most is extremely hard to find now (and pretty pricey, too)... Even with a good replica, without access to the other stuff, it'd be difficult to really replicate the signature sound, wouldn't it?

I wonder if the availability of certain components isn't another, strictly secondary, factor. I'm pretty sure I read once that Matt favors the second version of the Korg Kaoss X-Y screen thingy, and that that model went out of production years ago... so even if a major manufacturer wanted to deal with Manson, wouldn't they have to secure a huge stash of these screens first, or negotiate further with Korg to restart production, to make authentic replicas of those models?

There might be a similar issue with some of the effects pedals and amps he's been vocal about using. I'm pretty sure I've read that one of the amps he loves using the most is extremely hard to find now (and pretty pricey, too)... Even with a good replica, without access to the other stuff, it'd be difficult to really replicate the signature sound, wouldn't it?

That's just the midi screen, not the actual kaoss pad (which isn't included with the guitar) - the screens themselves are still readily available I believe. Plus, the MB-1's midi screen isn't strictly limited to use with the kaoss pad. The guitars themselves aren't exactly the same as his either - the bodies are made of different wood for one thing, as they're being made in batches of 25.

And as far as I'm concerned, if you had the exact gear Matt had, you still wouldn't really sound like him...whether it's because it's a recorded sound, or because he has his own style of playing

...in before 'tone is in the fingers' argument

There might be a similar issue with some of the effects pedals and amps he's been vocal about using. I'm pretty sure I've read that one of the amps he loves using the most is extremely hard to find now (and pretty pricey' date=' too)... Even with a good replica, without access to the other stuff, it'd be difficult to really replicate the signature sound, wouldn't it?[/quote']

That's not necessarily the point of a signature guitar and apart from an Ampeg B4, he doesn't use anything truly "rare". He likes using AC30s, which have been in production for over 50 years and you don't require the exact same equipment from the exact same year to replicate a sound.

Archived