Newton Faulker is an entertainer first and foremost, from my experience of him. By Ross's own admission he's got the whole audience to sing along to Spongebob Squarepants. That according to Ross puts him on some kind of pedestal. When I saw him, he was getting half the audience to sing one thing the other half another, like at a pantomine. If that's what floats your boat, fair enough, but it's not what floats mine. :) I'm not denying he has talent but personally, for me, there's no way that he touched Muse.:)

Well all live musicians are entertainers, otherwise they would never sell ticket sales. That's his strategy, you might not like it, others do. Muse's strategy is to load up with lights, visuals, stage gimmicks and lasers. Some people like that, others don't. It's purely subjective to what you prefer.

Personally I don't care for sing-a-long crap or stage gimmicks, hence having no real intention to go to see Newton Faulkner, or going to see Muse again. All preferences. I don't think Ross was putting him on a pedastal, just pointing out that he thinks NF has talent. Rolf Harris has unbelievable talent and was an excellent entertainer at Glasto, but not to the extent I'd consider him to be best live act :LOL:

Newton Faulker is an entertainer first and foremost, from my experience of him. By Ross's own admission he's got the whole audience to sing along to Spongebob Squarepants. That according to Ross puts him on some kind of pedestal. When I saw him, he was getting half the audience to sing one thing the other half another, like at a pantomine. If that's what floats your boat, fair enough, but it's not what floats mine. :) I'm not denying he has talent but personally, for me, he didn't even touch Muse.

No, He's a musician first and foremost, I fear you may be mixing him up with Tenacious D.

As for putting bands and artists on pedestals, two points.

1. There are only 3 bands/artists/composers who I have ever placed on a pedestal. Muse were one, because they were the band who got me interested in anything more than pop-punk. Then I started playing guitar, and with that, came the second - hendrix. The third came about as a result of my music course, and was Claudé Debussy. I have several other bands and artists I have a lot of love for, and others which go through phases, but those three are the only ones who've really endured throughout my journey of listening to, learning about, and playing music.

2. Glass houses.

oh, and he didn't do call and response (which Muse have done, still do, and will probably proceed to do by the way - first chorus of TIRO at every gig, anyone), he gave us a humourous scenario to take our minds off the pissing rain and to have a laugh with himself.

And you were denying he had talent, you were stating Muse were better musicians, which is why we're on this entire discursive round.

You know who are a good live act? 30 seconds to mars. They were fantastic when I saw them in February. Jared Leto, while being an arrogant cunt, hit every note, and was very crowd engaging. They did a good mix of set, he sung acoustic songs in the audience, and got a load of people on stage from the crowd.

You know who are a good live act? 30 seconds to mars. They were fantastic when I saw them in February. Jared Leto, while being an arrogant cunt, hit every note, and was very crowd engaging. They did a good mix of set, he sung acoustic songs in the audience, and got a load of people on stage from the crowd.
I've actually heard that a lot about 30STM. Never heard a bad thing said about them live. Not a huge fan of them because of Jared (I can't seem to get into bads with frontmen who I know are inherently arrogant people - can't quite get the smiths for that exact reason), but they do sound like they're a stunning live act.

I've actually heard that a lot about 30STM. Never heard a bad thing said about them live. Not a huge fan of them because of Jared (I can't seem to get into bads with frontmen who I know are inherently arrogant people - can't quite get the smiths for that exact reason), but they do sound like they're a stunning live act.

I guess I got into them from a musician point of view of admiring his voice.

No, He's a musician first and foremost, I fear you may be mixing him up with Tenacious D.

As for putting bands and artists on pedestals, two points.

1. There are only 3 bands/artists/composers who I have ever placed on a pedestal. Muse were one, because they were the band who got me interested in anything more than pop-punk. Then I started playing guitar, and with that, came the second - hendrix. The third came about as a result of my music course, and was Claudé Debussy. I have several other bands and artists I have a lot of love for, and others which go through phases, but those three are the only ones who've really endured throughout my journey of listening to, learning about, and playing music.

2. Glass houses.

oh, and he didn't do call and response (which Muse have done, still do, and will probably proceed to do by the way - first chorus of TIRO at every gig, anyone), he gave us a humourous scenario to take our minds off the pissing rain and to have a laugh with himself.

And you were denying he had talent, you were stating Muse were better musicians, which is why we're on this entire discursive round.

You suggested Newton Fawlker as a candidate for best live act. That's how the the discursive round came about. :)

I haven't mixed him up with Tenacious D, I don't remember Jack Black having aubern plaids. ;)

The fact that Muse are one of the only three you have put on a pedestal speaks even more to me that this idea of voting for other bands is rhetoric. A way of getting at Muse for what people see as their failings, rather than realistic preferences.

I guess I got into them from a musician point of view of admiring his voice.

Honestly, they could probably be some of the best musicians on the planet and that's still get to me, but like the smiths, I can see how people like what they do, but Jared just gets on my tits:LOL:

You suggested Newton Fawlker as a candidate for best live act. That's how the the discursive round came about. :)

I haven't mixed him up with Tenacious D, I don't remember Jack Black having aubern plaids. ;)

The fact that Muse are one of the only three you have put on a pedestal speaks even more to me that this idea of voting for other bands is rhetoric. A way of getting at Muse for what people see as their failings, rather than realistic preferences.

Or maybe just because they haven't done anything that outstanding this year that makes everyone want to vote for them?

I love Muse, don't get me wrong, but NSC and Resistance really aren't their strongest songs.

It's not. I just genuinely think they don't warrant it. I do think there are better candidates in each category they're eligible for (For What it's worth: Best track? Devil's Spoke - Laura Marling.

Best Video? Honestly don't know, but NSC's is a horrible mashup of twilight scenes and the band playing. if it weren't for the twilight scenes, it'd be passable and Resistance is a horrible mashup of shots from all over a gig. If they'd stuck with the theme of the start (slowed down, grainy, B&W) and expanded upon it, they'd have had something really good, but as it turned out, it was just all over the shop.

Best Live Act? On personal experience of the past 8, 9 months? Kasabian, Faithless, Newton Faulkner, Placebo, Biffy Clyro, Pulled Apart By Horses;

Best Act in the World today? Kasabian)

That's sticking to the Genres which Q would probably cover. I can think of several others outside of that.

I'm not "getting" at muse - there's no point, but I think there are far more worthy candidates

It's not. I just genuinely think they don't warrant it. I do think there are better candidates in each category they're eligible for (For What it's worth: Best track? Devil's Spoke - Laura Marling.

Best Video? Honestly don't know, but NSC's is a horrible mashup of twilight scenes and the band playing. if it weren't for the twilight scenes, it'd be passable and Resistance is a horrible mashup of shots from all over a gig. If they'd stuck with the theme of the start (slowed down, grainy, B&W) and expanded upon it, they'd have had something really good, but as it turned out, it was just all over the shop.

Best Live Act? On personal experience of the past 8, 9 months? Kasabian, Faithless, Newton Faulkner, Placebo, Biffy Clyro, Pulled Apart By Horses;

Best Act in the World today? Kasabian)

That's sticking to the Genres which Q would probably cover. I can think of several others outside of that.

I'm not "getting" at muse - there's no point, but I think there are far more worthy candidates

Okay, fair enough. I do agree with you that the videos are not worthy of awards. I still think it's difficult for others to touch Muse as a live act or band overall though. That's just my opinion.

Newton Faulker is an entertainer first and foremost, from my experience of him. By Ross's own admission he's got the whole audience to sing along to Spongebob Squarepants. That according to Ross puts him on some kind of pedestal. When I saw him, he was getting half the audience to sing one thing the other half another, like at a pantomine. If that's what floats your boat, fair enough, but it's not what floats mine. :) I'm not denying he has talent but personally, for me, there's no way that he touched Muse.:)

But Muse on this whole tour have been like a theatre production...the same thing each night with a few changes once in a while, covering up a rather dull setlist by using lots and lots of lights. That's why I don't think they deserve best live band or best band due to the lack of effort they have put in. I don't know much about Newton Faulkner but I know he is a talented musician who really tries to engage with the fans in his shows, which makes them alot of fun. I don't think Ross was really saying that because he made the crowd sing Spongebob that he should be given best live act :chuckle: I think I would plump for Pendulum for best live band, the shows are energetic, engaging and incorporate a cool light show without detracting from the music but hey people can vote for whoever they want. Everyone is going to have different reasons for voting for different people, lets just see who wins!

Okay, fair enough. I do agree with you that the videos are not worthy of awards. I still think it's difficult for others to touch Muse as a live act or band overall though.

I will say that had I been at oxegen instead of T, I may well have seen things differently, but in the past 8-9 months, I haven't seen them do anything worthy of either of those awards, And just as it'd be unfair to vote against them on the basis of hearsay, it'd be unfair to vote for them on the basis of it. I may have criticised the setlists etc on the Arena tour, but aside from T (and oxegen, because I'm something of a masochist!), I've not seen any setlists and so on, and I'm not basing award votes on the tour/s as whole things, just going on what I've experienced since the last round of awards, which has been an appalling gig at T, a below par one in glasgow, and an admittedly good on in France, but not as good as the likes of placebo in december or Kasabian at T (whole absolutely blew me away)

But Muse on this whole tour have been like a theatre production...the same thing each night with a few changes once in a while, covering up a rather dull setlist by using lots and lots of lights. That's why I don't think they deserve best live band or best band due to the lack of effort they have put in. I don't know much about Newton Faulkner but I know he is a talented musician who really tries to engage with the fans in his shows, which makes them alot of fun. I don't think Ross was really saying that because he made the crowd sing Spongebob that he should be given best live act :chuckle: I think I would plump for Pendulum for best live band, the shows are energetic, engaging and incorporate a cool light show without detracting from the music but hey people can vote for whoever they want. Everyone is going to have different reasons for voting for different people, lets just see who wins!

Mind you the fact that Newton Faulkner did the Bohemian Rhapsody thing, when I saw him too, which was probably about two years ago (I can't remember exactly) suggests that it's a regular part of his set rather than something spontaneous.

People base their decisions on their own experiences which is fair enough, but one factor that has to be thrown into the mix is familiarity. If you have seen an act countless times, and they do the same thing they've done before then understandably you might be looking for something more, but then it's not a level playing field with an act you haven't seen a lot because, if there is repetition or lack of spontaneity by the new act, you're not going to necessarily be aware of it. Just another thought, I'm not saying people aren't thinking of that.

Mind you the fact that Newton Faulkner did the Bohemian Rhapsody thing, when I saw him too, which was probably about two years ago (I can't remember exactly) suggests that it's a regular part of his set rather than something spontaneous.

People base their decisions on their own experiences which is fair enough, but one factor that has to be thrown into the mix is familiarity. If you have seen an act countless times, and they do the same thing they've done before then understandably you might be looking for something more, but then it's not a level playing field with an act you haven't seen a lot because, if there is repetition or lack of spontaneity by the new act, you're not going to necessarily be aware of it. Just another thought, I'm not saying people aren't thinking of that.

Not really: I have seen Kasabian several times in the last year, not as many times as Muse but still repetitively as it can be considered and I shall be voting for them over Muse because they haven't disappointed me one single time when I have seen them.

Damn it! I want them to win something!:LOL: They genuinely impressed me at Oxegen( along with TDCC):yesey:

They were amazing at Oxegen, it was worth being crushed at the barrier. I think I'm gonna vote for them for best video "God and Satan"

They were amazing at Oxegen, it was worth being crushed at the barrier. I think I'm gonna vote for them for best video "God and Satan"

I like the video but I refuse to vote for it out of principle that they've released too many singles from this album :LOL:

Archived