My list was the forum train-wreck.

All of those points were bitched about, new people came in around album release and didn't understand what was going on, got the wrong impression, fights broke out. At every single one of those points.

It was awesome. It'll happen again next album. Next year will be the muse lull, that'll last until they do something and then chaos will ensure once the honeymoon period is over.

Without meaning to generalise the vast majority on here, this is one of the only forums where saying you dislike a song by the band in question is met with such hostility.

You'd think you'd said you were planning on murdering a band member the way some people are going on.

Well, from what I can tell from a 30-second preview, it's:

briskly uptempo, but still sounds more like rock than synth-driven or electronica-tinged pop;

driven by an emotionally-charged chorus anchored by an upwards fourth interval (which one teacher I've had described as the most emotionally-charged of all musical intervals);

not entirely cheesy -- the love theme is too ambiguously expressed to be written off as pure cheesiness. Although the lyrics express a positive conviction and certainty, musically the song hints at darker emotions. The reliance on that yearning 4th interval sounds more plaintive than joyous, the bassline is sounds downright ominous, and the lyrics fatalistically embrace the lovers' death (but at least they'll die together). Okay, that last part is pretty cheesy. But musically, there's a bit more going on...;

beefed up by what sounds like a truly original (if essentially rhythmic) piano part that slots into the chorus, at least, alongside the minimal guitar part and much more substantial bassline. (The piano chords essentially carry through the melodicism of the bassline; I wonder if an earlier version of this had a more elaborate or fussier bassline, which they decided to break up and divide amongst the two instruments.) This marks something of a departure for Matt's keyboard lines, which are often basically solos (or at least, don't compete directly with a guitar part). What's more, it's original and rock/pop oriented -- not just another cribbing of Rachmaninoff or Chopin -- good news, in my book! This is also significant re. their live shows: athough I'm confident Matt played the original part for the recording, it'll fall to Morgan to play it live. One more keyboard song for Morgan, then! And, finally...

lyrics which, if standard love-ballad stuff, at least make sense and scan well, and Matt sings them in a conventional rock style (i.e., without drawing out every syllable in an operatic mode). Whether this is good or bad is a matter of taste; as for myself, so long as Muse keeps performing some of their older songs with that operatic style, I'm fine with it.

All in all, it's not bad! I think I'll rather like this one... at least they've avoided falling into the sludgy mid-tempo trap that ruins so many rock songs (for me, anyway). On balance, most of Muse's relationship-themed songs are sour or bitter, with relatively few straight-up happy or optimistic love songs, so there should be allowances made for a few songs such as this, especially given its complexity and emotional ambiguity. And kudos to Matt for being able to write a more-or-less conventional love song when his personal life and frame of mind were probably not ideally situated to inspire such an effort.

I disagree with everything you wrote, but I envy your ability to write all of that about the 30 secs. :)

Well, from what I can tell from a 30-second preview, it's:

briskly uptempo, but still sounds more like rock than synth-driven or electronica-tinged pop;

driven by an emotionally-charged chorus anchored by an upwards fourth interval (which one teacher I've had described as the most emotionally-charged of all musical intervals);

not entirely cheesy -- the love theme is too ambiguously expressed to be written off as pure cheesiness. Although the lyrics express a positive conviction and certainty, musically the song hints at darker emotions. The reliance on that yearning 4th interval sounds more plaintive than joyous, the bassline is sounds downright ominous, and the lyrics fatalistically embrace the lovers' death (but at least they'll die together). Okay, that last part is pretty cheesy. But musically, there's a bit more going on...;

beefed up by what sounds like a truly original (if essentially rhythmic) piano part that slots into the chorus, at least, alongside the minimal guitar part and much more substantial bassline. (The piano chords essentially carry through the melodicism of the bassline; I wonder if an earlier version of this had a more elaborate or fussier bassline, which they decided to break up and divide amongst the two instruments.) This marks something of a departure for Matt's keyboard lines, which are often basically solos (or at least, don't compete directly with a guitar part). What's more, it's original and rock/pop oriented -- not just another cribbing of Rachmaninoff or Chopin -- good news, in my book! This is also significant re. their live shows: athough I'm confident Matt played the original part for the recording, it'll fall to Morgan to play it live. One more keyboard song for Morgan, then! And, finally...

lyrics which, if standard love-ballad stuff, at least make sense and scan well, and Matt sings them in a conventional rock style (i.e., without drawing out every syllable in an operatic mode). Whether this is good or bad is a matter of taste; as for myself, so long as Muse keeps performing some of their older songs with that operatic style, I'm fine with it.

All in all, it's not bad! I think I'll rather like this one... at least they've avoided falling into the sludgy mid-tempo trap that ruins so many rock songs (for me, anyway). On balance, most of Muse's relationship-themed songs are sour or bitter, with relatively few straight-up happy or optimistic love songs, so there should be allowances made for a few songs such as this, especially given its complexity and emotional ambiguity. And kudos to Matt for being able to write a more-or-less conventional love song when his personal life and frame of mind were probably not ideally situated to inspire such an effort.

Must you write an essay every time you post? It's too much.

I quite liked the preview. Its not like most other Muse songs, where my brain can't comprehend the sheer awesomeness and explodes, but it is pretty ok. Sounds like the kind of thing that would make it onto the radio, which would be their design in making a single only for a movie.

I wouldn't go as far as to write Muse's obituary. To me, its Muse but at the same time it isn't. So everyone just calm down and listen to City of Delusion with me.

:LOL:

i started laughing as soon as i saw the title! :awesome:

You don't get the reference? :(

sowy! no i didn't :facpalm:

i really wanted actual....

Sorry... here's your cake:

picture.php?albumid=154&pictureid=1113

:eek:

CAKE!!!

:happy:

:eyebrows:

There is no point in fighting and having b33f because we all know that in the end...

cheese_alert.jpg

LOOOOOOOOVE IZ FORE-EEEEEEEEEEEEEVAH!! :awesome:

:kiss:

how many people will read it?

pass! :D

Archived