A Video Tour Of Matt's Rig

Impulse 101

and the sustain pedal for the reverb :LOL: Im guessing thats for massive epic endings of songs to just make shit loads of noise!

Interesting to see that matt has gone for the switchblade with its "digital matrix" whilst chris has gone for a more analog patch bay!

I wonder if they will have done one for drums :awesome:

The Switchblade isn't digital, it's fully analog. I have one sitting in my basement. It's an amazing piece of gear, switching, mixing and fading in one unit and every input and output is buffered. Its as neutral sounding as any other switcher that I've heard but is way more flexible. Matt's is the GL version with is also balanced which means that it can be wired to remove ground loops and with all of that stuff I bet it is.

JT

I swear both techs said it was a digital matrix... :erm:

edit: yeah, on this video

YSsE-skFkv4

when he talks about the skrydstrup Dr10, he said they switched to that because its primarily analog and that they used to use the switchblade but it was a digital matrix... :erm: the sound sculpture website also gives the impression it is digital :LOL:

The Switchblade isn't digital, it's fully analog. I have one sitting in my basement. It's an amazing piece of gear, switching, mixing and fading in one unit and every input and output is buffered. Its as neutral sounding as any other switcher that I've heard but is way more flexible. Matt's is the GL version with is also balanced which means that it can be wired to remove ground loops and with all of that stuff I bet it is.

JT

I swear both techs said it was a digital matrix... :erm:

Only the bass tech says it was a "digital matrix". The video was cut off a bit there too so full explanation was cut off.

The Switchblade is fully analogue, like JT says, but it uses a Matrix style system of connecting inputs and outputs which is controlled digitally.

So your actual audio signal remains analogue, it is just controlled digitally.

I also have one, and it is an amazing piece of gear. Solves all my routing problems, and I never have to unplug cables! Brilliant.

Only the bass tech says it was a "digital matrix". The video was cut off a bit there too so full explanation was cut off.

The Switchblade is fully analogue, like JT says, but it uses a Matrix style system of connecting inputs and outputs which is controlled digitally.

So your actual audio signal remains analogue, it is just controlled digitally.

I also have one, and it is an amazing piece of gear. Solves all my routing problems, and I never have to unplug cables! Brilliant.

Mouse,

You have a GL, right?

JT

That's the kind of rig that you have to install a motor on and drive to the rig. The Axe has done away with all that stuff for me. I don't even use my Roland SDE-3000 live anymore, it's just there for recording. I sometimes wished that I bought the 8B but I've never used more than 6 in/6 out on mine. I should put together an old school rig with my Blade and Lexicon stuff but I'm way to busy right now.

Do you have a picture of your rig? I don't remember seeing it.

JT

analog is obv bettor for the warm analog toanz

digital is cold and heartless like a knife in the back...

:LOL:

yerrr and teh ty000bz dey make yuour toanz real gritty and dynamic

wait don't both guitars go digital right out of the jack into a wireless?

I wondered when there was going to be another documentary on Matt's rig. That was really interesting, I didn't know about that their eggleton amp, I certainly didn't know he was putting the piano through it.

Last time I checked it was just going into a Vox.

He's certainly changed his sound dramatically, one the benefits being that really awfull nazaly tone SMBH had is gone.

• 2 weeks later...

This may sound odd, since Muse are my number one influence of all time, and definitely favourite band. But all that... just seems way over the top.

Maybe it's just because I don't have any cool shit like him... just a guitar and amp, and nothing in between. I seem to cope fine with Muse stuff, although obviously I could use a Whammy for some bits, and also a dirt pedal so I can click to distortion/clean faster.

Now, I've never gigged, so I don't really know what goes on onstage. But, if I were a successful musician just like Matt, I would have a rig worlds away from his.

A cranked, high-gain tube amp for dirt, and maybe something like an AC30 for cleans. There would be something like a Bad Monkey if the dirt amp needs moar metal, plus an A/B box to switch between the amps. That's all I can really see having.

And it would all be onstage. Amps behind, pedals under the mic, and the amps would be mic'd, with the mics taking the sound to all the backstage mixing and PA stuff I know jack shit about :p

As I said, I've never gigged so I don't know the ins and outs of it. But that would be ideal for me.

This may sound odd, since Muse are my number one influence of all time, and definitely favourite band. But all that... just seems way over the top.

Maybe it's just because I don't have any cool shit like him... just a guitar and amp, and nothing in between. I seem to cope fine with Muse stuff, although obviously I could use a Whammy for some bits, and also a dirt pedal so I can click to distortion/clean faster.

Now, I've never gigged, so I don't really know what goes on onstage. But, if I were a successful musician just like Matt, I would have a rig worlds away from his.

A cranked, high-gain tube amp for dirt, and maybe something like an AC30 for cleans. There would be something like a Bad Monkey if the dirt amp needs moar metal, plus an A/B box to switch between the amps. That's all I can really see having.

And it would all be onstage. Amps behind, pedals under the mic, and the amps would be mic'd, with the mics taking the sound to all the backstage mixing and PA stuff I know jack shit about :p

As I said, I've never gigged so I don't know the ins and outs of it. But that would be ideal for me.

There's no need for a setup like Matts. But he's in rock band touring the world, so can go OTT.

There's no need for a setup like Matts. But he's in rock band touring the world, so can go OTT.

Yeah, totally. He is the mad scientist of guitar :happy:

All I can see myself having is the setup I described above, though. I always admired Angus Young's "straight-in" approach. Just a Gibson SG, straight into a cranked Marshall :D

in an interview he said he hasnt used the rackmount crybaby

just so you guys know!

that's because mike skinner hasn't made a guest appearance .. yet

i'm not sure what pedals he's actually using. Haze, do you think out of those pedals in his rack (there are a fair few fuzz pedals it seems), it's the fuzz factory DI'd for the SMBH sound?

Yeah, totally. He is the mad scientist of guitar :happy:

All I can see myself having is the setup I described above, though. I always admired Angus Young's "straight-in" approach. Just a Gibson SG, straight into a cranked Marshall :D

I don't know about that, The Edge uses even more gear and makes dull as fuck music.

I think it's a bad symptom of getting bigger and having more to spend on equipment, rather than pushing what you have to achieve sounds it wasn't meant to, you can get whatever does that sound anyway. Say like if you had a Marshall and wanted to make it sound like a Fender or a Vox, Matt will go get a Fender or Vox rather than see what he can get out of the Marshall.

i'm not sure what pedals he's actually using. Haze, do you think out of those pedals in his rack (there are a fair few fuzz pedals it seems), it's the fuzz factory DI'd for the SMBH sound?

Not got any experience with the other fuzzes, but it always sounded like the Fuzz Factory to me.

Matt is hardly the biggest gear whore to ever tour. Eric Johnson probably holds the record for that with his Four Marshall, Two Fender rig from the Tones era. David Gilmour also carries enough stuff to fill a semi trailer, as does The Edge.

JT

Archived