map of the problematique

dwydav

So does the Line 6 Filter do this?

maybe, though it'd have to be using the Ooh-Wah setting.

seriously, i've said it all along; some sort of stepping filter will get you close enough. Zvex Ooh-Wah, Digitech Hyperphase, Digitech Turboflange all give you that (so does my Prophecysound Infinitphase, but it's pretty unlikely that you'd be able to find one anywhere).

maybe, though it'd have to be using the Ooh-Wah setting.

seriously, i've said it all along; some sort of stepping filter will get you close enough. Zvex Ooh-Wah, Digitech Hyperphase, Digitech Turboflange all give you that (so does my Prophecysound Infinitphase, but it's pretty unlikely that you'd be able to find one anywhere).

+1 with the recommended pedals! Using a sequencer with a whammy just seems to be more money and hassle to me. Atleast I've heard the Digitech Flanger and it sounds great. Surely if you use that with loads of distortion you wouldn't even here the flange depth so much. I have a phaser and when the depth is low and I use distortion you can only just tell it's a phaser.

I think I should go to Birmingham soon and try out some pedals :yesey:

So the conclusion is that all you need is a whammy pedal and a midi sequencer is it? can anyone recommend one of each that gives teh best effect?

Seeing as the sound comes through the pedal and not the sequencer it won't make a difference which one you choose. And you'd need a WH4 because of the MIDI in function.

Fuzz + filter does that.... The filter emphasises different harmonics in the fuzz tone, which are already massively emphasised by the fuzz.

Can't argue with that, but it's not a filter in MOTP.

What the hell do some people mean 'any' step effect will get you close enough? So the step delay effect I have will get the sound? :rolleyes:

What about a step distortion? step ring mod? step compressor?

You'd probably get closer just using a Digitech Whammy on the +/-1 harmony and using your foot to get the rhythm than using 'any' step effect.

You'd probably get closer just using a Digitech Whammy on the +/-1 harmony and using your foot to get the rhythm than using 'any' step effect.

True. I can get a decent effect rocking back and forth on my mates whammy pedal but I must be honest and say it gets very tiring and unaccurate after a while :LOL:

But for those of you who have no access to neither a whammy or a sequencer, it does seem a little bit of an expensive buy just to do the intro to a song. This is why I would rather settle with a simple pedal, such as the Digitech Flanger or just fuck it and keep to the whammy. I don't like the idea of attaching another pedal to my board just to do one song in my position tbh.

What the hell do some people mean 'any' step effect will get you close enough? So the step delay effect I have will get the sound? :rolleyes:

What about a step distortion? step ring mod? step compressor?

seriously, i've said it all along; some sort of stepping filter will get you close enough.

where did anyone say anything about 'any' step effect? :confused:

True. I can get a decent effect rocking back and forth on my mates whammy pedal but I must be honest and say it gets very tiring and unaccurate after a while :LOL:

But for those of you who have no access to neither a whammy or a sequencer, it does seem a little bit of an expensive buy just to do the intro to a song. This is why I would rather settle with a simple pedal, such as the Digitech Flanger or just fuck it and keep to the whammy. I don't like the idea of attaching another pedal to my board just to do one song in my position tbh.

especially if it's just some band's song, not a song of your own :erm:

Yeah, you can only use a sequencer and a whammy for one song :rolleyes:

And yeah, you can only use a sequencer when it's hooked up to a whammy :rolleyes:

Plus the effect in MOTP isn't that important to the song, you can live without it if you wanted to cover it, as the guitar is pretty much in the background throughout the whole song, even the little lead line at the start is played by Chris live.

You don't have to be a Matt wannabe to want to recreate these effects. Surely you must find some interest in reverse engineering/recreating them if only because they can give you ideas for your own hideously original music/endless Muse covers. It's like the sort of people that take an engine apart just to see how it works and then rebuild it for the sake of it, it's to expand your understanding. From the sounds of things we're looking at this from two very different angles: From what you've said you're interested in being able to cover this song/impress friends with it because you're after the sound (hence the "this is close enough without spending money") wheras I'm more interested in the method and the potential with MIDI and sequencers etc.

Yeah, you can only use a sequencer and a whammy for one song :rolleyes:

And yeah, you can only use a sequencer when it's hooked up to a whammy :rolleyes:

Plus the effect in MOTP isn't that important to the song, you can live without it if you wanted to cover it, as the guitar is pretty much in the background throughout the whole song, even the little lead line at the start is played by Chris live.

That wasn't my point. I was just saying that most people/n00bs? only want this effect to do this paticular song or just show off as Raurie just suggested. That was me tbh but now I don't give a shit. I know you can do more with a sequencer and that your able to use them with more than just a whammy pedal but some people just want a sequencer and whammy to get that paticular effect and then they probably wont have a clue what else to achieve with the sequencer (this is why I don't care anymore, lol). Where as some people like maybe yourself and Raurie want to experiment with the effect.

You don't have to be a Matt wannabe to want to recreate these effects. Surely you must find some interest in reverse engineering/recreating them if only because they can give you ideas for your own hideously original music/endless Muse covers.

True. It goes the smae for a lot of other effects that Matt uses really. Like when some people wonder how Matt acheives the PIB intro then they get a FF and expect to sound like Matt.

That wasn't my point. I was just saying that most people/n00bs? only want this effect to do this paticular song or just show off as Raurie just suggested. That was me tbh but now I don't give a shit. I know you can do more with a sequencer and that your able to use them with more than just a whammy pedal but some people just want a sequencer and whammy to get that paticular effect and then they probably wont have a clue what else to achieve with the sequencer (this is why I don't care anymore, lol). Where as some people like maybe yourself and Raurie want to experiment with the effect.

You mean there another reason to use lots of weird effects other than to show off? :eek:

What I don't like is when people give out misleading information, in this case saying that a step flanger, phase or filter will get the sound, when it is clearly pitchshifting, purely on the basis it sounds 'similar', which is a bit like telling someone to get an overdrive when they want to get the early Nirvana Big Muff sound, yes, what they do is similar, but they don't sound the same.

I don't think it's got anything to do with me wanting to experiment with that effect (even though I do, check the new song in the link in my sig :happy: ), it's more to do with wanting people to know how to get the sound, rather than the cheapest way that sounds 'similar'.

You don't have to be a Matt wannabe to want to recreate these effects. Surely you must find some interest in reverse engineering/recreating them if only because they can give you ideas for your own hideously original music/endless Muse covers. It's like the sort of people that take an engine apart just to see how it works and then rebuild it for the sake of it, it's to expand your understanding. From the sounds of things we're looking at this from two very different angles: From what you've said you're interested in being able to cover this song/impress friends with it because you're after the sound (hence the "this is close enough without spending money") wheras I'm more interested in the method and the potential with MIDI and sequencers etc.
I'm I think I'm looking at it the same as you. the whole looking at what potential there is.

• 2 weeks later...

"BPM effect function with flexible BPM detection"

"Twenty types of BPM effect can be synchronized to the tempo of your music to control delay time or the pan, phaser, or flanger LFO. Of these, eight can synchronize a rhythm pattern or synth bass to the BPM, and play it from the touch pad. You can set the BPM manually, use Auto BPM to detect it from an input source, use the Tap Tempo function to set the BPM by pressing the Tap key, or control BPM from incoming MIDI Clock messages".