map of the problematique

dwydav

really? ew grainable synths, why is it so hard to get a modern analogue synth?

Because of analogue's shortcomings, doesn't really fit in with what the overall market wants from a synth. To be honest, I can't blame them.

Have you ever heard an analogue synth?

Have you ever heard an analogue synth?

Yes. Klaus Schulze, Brian Eno and Kraftwerk did some amazing things with them in the 70s. But all of them went downhill musically after the digital synths came into mainstream popularity.

They are a pain in the arse to use, undoubtedly. Pink Floyd had to bring in a team from EMS to work their VCS3 synths when they were recording DSOTM because they had no idea how to work/tune them

Yes, listening and using are different things. But from what I've heard analogue synths sound a fuckload better than digital

That would depend on the synths your comparing them to.

A Moog next to a K1r is always going to sound better. But I've never noticed anything worth raving about or spending huge amounts of money on compared to analog modelling.

i really hate analog synths especially moogs. why pay that much money to get different bleeps and blipps and some buzzing noises. if you want an expensive synth go for an access virus!

HAHA! seriousley! thankyou so much! you've just changed my view by flawing my plan! :LOL: It's no so much if they are digital, it modeling synths I don't like! ie the microkorg :LOL: that was my version of digital but everything seems a bit more reasonable now! :LOL:

wen i think of analog synths i think of the sounds my old blueberry mac made before it died.

Wen i think of digital i think of either a triton or a REAL synth like the korg Radias or the novation x-station.

:LOL:

This, my friend, is a real synth:

m55_5whole.jpg

Although, give me a couple of laptops, an akai sampler and a kaoss pad anyday :happy:

I read this thread yesterday and thought I'd try something myself with my BOSS gt-8...

What do you think? I know it needs tweaking, its been a 5 mins job. Also, the timing is really off, but its just to give you an idea. What do you think needs improvement?

http://users.dfu-clan.net/yorin/motp.mp3

Still don't wanna say anything about the settings you used ? I tried with my gt-8 and the autoriff feature (and fuzz, and even a bit of delay), but it's still not working as well as yours ...

:$

Guest Bl44t44p

The article about Matt Bellamy in "Gitarist" (January 2007, Dutch guitar magazine) contained tons of info about his new gear, which I already posted here, but also something very interesting about the intro sound of Map of the Problematique. My best try translating it:

(Matt quoting)

[...] 'I used the computer even more in the music on 'Black Holes & Revelations'. The song Map Of The Problematique is a good example. I used a modular synthesizer playing a sequence. This is what I used for three amplifiers, each with his unique pitchshift. The amps went on and off after eachother which created a rhytm. It is a guitar sound, but because of the on/off it's more like a synthesizer. I'm always interested in mixing like that.' [...]

Awww poor English but I tried to translate it literally.

The article about Matt Bellamy in "Gitarist" (January 2007, Dutch guitar magazine) contained tons of info about his new gear, which I already posted here, but also something very interesting about the intro sound of Map of the Problematique. My best try translating it:

(Matt quoting)

[...] 'I used the computer even more in the music on 'Black Holes & Revelations'. The song Map Of The Problematique is a good example. I used a modular synthesizer playing a sequence. This is what I used for three amplifiers, each with his unique pitchshift. The amps went on and off after eachother which created a rhytm. It is a guitar sound, but because of the on/off it's more like a synthesizer. I'm always interested in mixing like that.' [...]

Awww poor English but I tried to translate it literally.

I won't slate your english, because it's cool you can even speak it in the first place, but yeah, it doesn't make much sense.

So it is pitchshifted guitar?

I won't slate your english, because it's cool you can even speak it in the first place, but yeah, it doesn't make much sense.

So it is pitchshifted guitar?

it made sense to me... seems like he basically set up a sequencer and hooked it up to three amps, I would assume one at normal pitch, one at -1 and one at +1, and he set the sequencer to cycle between the amps to create the rhythm