The first will always be memorable ;)

I've finally managed to upload the audio bootleg from SG. Here are the links, along with my review :happy: Happy 3rd Muse Anniversary!

How the effing hell does one review a Muse concert? To be really honest, I’ve been trying to put this off for a long time now, because it’s just near impossible for me to reflect back to that very night of Feb 3rd 2010 without getting extremely upset after said reflection. Muse literally pioneered the malady of post-concert depression for me. Bands come and go, but when I first witnessed the live antics of Muse three years back to this date, I became so much more passionate about taking into the tiny details of a live performance.

I will not get into details pre-gig (that’s for another story some other time) but dive straight into Muse’s set. Chris, Matt, Dom and the ever lovely Morgan got onstage to We Are The freakinnn Universe and the euphoria you get as Dom counts down with his drumsticks to the first beat of Uprising immediately wipes out every hard ship or doubt you ever encountered in getting yourself to the Singapore Indoor Stadium for Muse that very night. It could be transportation issues, insufficient funds, angry parents or unhappy lecturers. To hell with that. This is Muse. My muse. The moment you see Matt bunny hopping to the opening chords of Uprising, who cares if anyone else sees you ridiculously jumping along because ‘paranoia is in bloom’ anyway! The very essence of a live performance will always be determined by how well the crowd reacts to the first song on the set list. The energy in Singapore that night truly did not disappoint. We all come from all walks of life (and differing countries) but with Uprising we are as together as Matt’s gorgeous long fingers working together seductively along his keytar (during Undisclosed Desires).

As much as I would love to go through every single song in detail, I feel obliged to only give a summary of the little details that matter because if I don’t, it’s gonna end up unfinished like my 20+ page review of Ash & Lifehouse gigs back in 2008. Lol.

• How fun was dancing to Uprising? Calling all Santarinas, the next time we catch Muse live, we are so gonna dance from the front row :awesome::xmas:
  • Twirling, singing, jumping, reaching a ridiculous vocal range, popping balloons, playing octaves, melting hearts and lightheartedly hitting every right note in Guitar Hero… is there anything Matthew Bellamy can NOT do during Plug In Baby?
  • Chris slapping his bass with absolute attitude during the intro to Stockholm.
  • “MUST WE DO AS WE’RE TOLD?!?!”
  • Starlight clap :awesome: :awesome: I think it was during this song I left the recorder on the floor, which is why you could probably hear us singing during Time is Running Out as well (last chorus, “you can’t push it under-neeeeeeeeath the ground”). Oh you can’t expect me not to clap during Starlight though, it’s just so contagious.
  • How friggin awesome was that final guitar melody to Knights of Cydonia (I’m assuming it was played by Morgan <3) as the threesome left the stage?
  • Chris and Dommeh jam. If you were to use this Helsinki Jam as bread spread (heavens, not marmite) in the morning, your breakfast would be power packed with bad-ass energy and healing heart/drum beat working in unison. Quality assured to meet your daily needs.
  • MK OMFG ULTRA. It was surreal. Everything was in utter chaos when they teased our weak hearts (right after being serenaded by Undisclosed Desires at that) with the intro. The irony was that I felt absolute peace as I was listening to it live *majorheart*
  • Hello, pretty green laser lights! You make me green with envy for not being in the middle (north) section of the stadium. I want to be laser-ed too!
  • Teehee, mistakes are always fun to watch. Wouldn’t call this a mistake really because with Muse that hardly happens, but during the very end of Supermassive Black Hole, not sure if it was intentional but it sure sounded like Matt didn’t hit a note properly :p
  • Either Matt got a little too excited first, or if Dom wasn’t paying attention at him because there was once Matt did his insane continuous jumps but not in accordance to the beat, and by the time the drums came in, Matt was already too tired to continue jumping :LOL:
  • Oh Nishe.
  • The only song I allowed myself to listen to (apart from USOE & Uprising) during Muse's trip to the US for the VMAs was the title track itself, Resistance. Hearing this live really brought back all the memories of being excited to hear new Muse material :happy:
  • Two songs that I was really really delighted to hear again. First being Map of the Problematique and the next was…
  • I went total apeshit when I heard the opening piano triads/arpeggios. No it can’t possibly be, but it is! AHH… SUNBURNNNN! SUNBURN! SUNBURN! SUNBURN! SUNBURNNNN!! …. You get the idea lol. If for some reason they were to omit MK Ultra that night, I would’ve took comfort knowing that I managed to hear Sunburn live for the 2nd time (OK I’m kidding, if I didn’t hear MK Ultra I would’ve ranted majorly). Sunburn started it all for me, although I had no idea then I would turn out to be this kind of a Muse fan willing to compromise so much. So worth it though, with everyone that I’ve met through the forum. You guys are incredibly awesome <3 So what if the bunch of tough looking guys standing next to Joelyn stared at us without a clue as to what song was being played when we celebrated in glee shouting SUNBURN SUNBURN SUNBURN!!!? :awesome: Screaming to Sunburn would not have been the same without the lot of you by my side ;)
  • Muse is more than welcome to play us an Interlude anytime, before shifting the mood quickly causing Hysteria amongst us all within a drum beat and Chris’ spawsome bass line!
  • I love Dom’s pants! I could’ve sworn it was studded lol. Anyone with a picture to confirm?
  • Fist punching to Unnatural Selection! and the wonderful close up of Matt’s hands and fingers gripping the mic at the beginning. SQUEE.
  • I still get chills when a Man with a Harmonica innocently toy with our feelings, despite watching the videos countless times. It is one to be dreaded as well as loved, the former because you know it is the last song for the night and the latter because the extremely entrancing Knights of Cydonia is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.
  • Muse so do not have time to barbecue when they’re on stage ;)

Moving on to things that I didn’t like about the concert:

• Haha who am I kidding, I loved every minute of it!
  • Ok, maybe just this one bit. I wished they brought a full orchestral ensemble to play the whole of Exogenesis, and not just Part 1 (Overture) ;)

Bias, much? But no, these guys don’t just win NME’s best band for no reason. The vocals were soothing yet forcefully demanding at the right time, it gave us all so much hope and optimism in life that you can’t possibly shake it off any time soon. Your other half may be cheating on you, you’re forced to keep secrets due to certain office politics, you can’t stand your fussy best friend who cannot seem to compromise… whatever drama you may be dealing with, knowing that you have watched Muse live even just once will forever, and I repeat forever, make life a lot easier to deal with even if you’re in your death bed lol. Even with shitty antics from people you do not like, you tolerate with them anyway, because it feels so much better knowing they did not have a Muse experience. Ok the dying part may be pushing it too much, but I hope you get my gist. Looking back after a concert like this, you just learn so much from Muse.

That wasn’t too preachy, I hope? Heh. 

NOTES TO AUDIO BOOTLEG:

• Full set can be streamed/downloaded from http://drop.io/Muse030210
  • In the end, I did not actually fix the audio using any kind of applications :[ these are just direct 160kbps .mp3 conversion from the raw .wav files. I am unfortunately always running out of time. Sigh. If anyone’s interested on editing these, please feel free to PM me for the full raw recordings.
  • I’m sorry but only the piano bridge part of Sunburn is available for download. The front is just too embarrassing painful to pass through my own ears, let alone anyone else’s haha.
  • We were a little chatty (more like … excited actually haha) during Resistance (and Unnatural Selection too) I’m afraid this was caught on the audio bootleg, so I’m sorry to ruin it for some of you heh. I can’t hear what we were saying though, it was just a lot of excited chatter and squeeling :p
  • I got pissed that people were really noisy during Nishe and USoE. By the time Matt played the slower part of USoE, you could hear a really loud “SHHHHHHH” haha :X
  • Admit it, if you’ve played Guitar Hero, you must’ve at least tried Knights of Cydonia or Plug In Baby more than once. I still cannot reach 100% for expert level though, blah! --> Hence the Guitar Hero references you may hear in the bootleg.
  • During TIRO: You will be the death of me “SERIOUSLY!!!”
  • Full version of Man with a Harmonica is in the middle of editing, errr… I could put it up if enough people wants it but I gotta seek Mel(whoops)’ approval first lol.
  • Sorry again about MK Ultra.

Edited by guilt-stricken

Current fave, like Liz -Special Needs

"Remember me, special needs" :D I can't wait for March 16th (although I'll be so busy by then) but I just realized the Bentley venue is very near to IKEA so at least I have a reason to eat 'em Swedish meatballs before the gig!! Hahaha :p Join me lol.

rumour for today..Galaxy myb try to get muse live in malaysia dis coming MAY..pray for it folk!!:musesign::\mm/::chris::matt::dom::dance:

:eek::eek:

Aww this isn't working for me anymore hurr.

Liz, I was scrolling through Last.fm and came across pictures of Andrew Bird and Echo and the Bunnymen in Singapore. :supersad: Heartbreaking.

:supersad::supersad::supersad:

jeez,its been like 2 years since last concert and i never posted here anymore (i mean this forum), i even forgot my password jeez jeez jeez,damn my bz life dammit dammit

I remember your avatar! :]

@melwhoops I'll send you the pics eventually k, but it could take quite a while.. Sorry!

Edited by guilt-stricken

Full version of Man with a Harmonica is in the middle of editing, errr… I could put it up if enough people wants it but I gotta seek Mel(whoops)’ approval first lol.

@melwhoops I'll send you the pics eventually k, but it could take quite a while.. Sorry!

ummmmmm why would you want to seek my approval first? :$

no problem about the pics. as long as it will reach me, no matter when heehee :D

ummmmmm why would you want to seek my approval first? :$

I've PMed you about it ;)

Whoa Liz mad respect for your effort! I haven't read your review yet cuz I went straight for your links hahahhaha. Awesome awesome stuff. Thanks a lot yeah!!

Aww no problem at all, sorry it took that long to upload. Actually the review I originally wrote was slightly longer but there's actually a word limit here, had to cut it short :LOL:

Aww no problem at all, sorry it took that long to upload. Actually the review I originally wrote was slightly longer but there's actually a word limit here, had to cut it short :LOL:

No worries the wait was worth it hahaha. I loved it!!

End riff of KOC backstage was definitely Matt!!! He's known to do that off-stage thing, like in the famous "PWOPER rock & roll" video ->

I'm glad you recorded that part. ALL the videos I watched on youtube cut off too early :rolleyes:. did you also notice that Matt was throwing his guitar picks while playing the riff, the section before the trumpets?:matt:

Oh you forgot to mention about the man with the harmonica giving his harmonica to one lucky fan in the crowd!!:chris:

The song that gave me goosebumps, making me reminisce about discovering new Muse material was USoE. Reminded me of the treasure hunt period. That was so brilliant.

superb liz! thx for the bootlegs woohoo :Dpost man w harmonica please2. & sunburn too. cmon, we all know how we behaved during the concert :p;)

+1,000,000.009

I got sent the Straits Times from the 5th of Feb and I'm in the photo on the page for the Muse review!

Was it from Life? If it is, can you post it here? I didn't get to read that article hahaha.

superb liz! thx for the bootlegs woohoo :D post man w harmonica please2. & sunburn too. cmon, we all know how we behaved during the concert :p;)

:$:$

End riff of KOC backstage was definitely Matt!!! He's known to do that off-stage thing, like in the famous "PWOPER rock & roll" video ->

I'm glad you recorded that part. ALL the videos I watched on youtube cut off too early :rolleyes:. did you also notice that Matt was throwing his guitar picks while playing the riff, the section before the trumpets?:matt:

I could've sworn I (thought I) saw his guitar lying on the ground and they all walked off stage. I figured it was Morgan playing somewhere ... I had no idea it was Matt! :eek: That is indeed fucking pwoper rock & roll! :muse: :matt: Any chance he left his guitar in a huge tong sampah backstage too? :LOL:

Yep, it was in Life. Nobody seems to have read it. :LOL: Sure, I'll scan it tomorrow.

Heh, was there an awesome caption below it? ;)

I've PMed you about it ;)

oooooomg hahahahahahhh!!! that will be quite embarrassing for all to hear! :$ but, i don't really mind though. POST IT!!!!!!! cause i want that part too like everyone else here :D

No worries the wait was worth it hahaha. I loved it!!

Oh you forgot to mention about the man with the harmonica giving his harmonica to one lucky fan in the crowd!!:chris:

The song that gave me goosebumps, making me reminisce about discovering new Muse material was USoE. Reminded me of the treasure hunt period. That was so brilliant.

+1,000,000.009

Was it from Life? If it is, can you post it here? I didn't get to read that article hahaha.

What end riff of KoC by Matt backstage??

Sorry bout the delay, will get Man with a H up soon :)

What end riff of KoC by Matt backstage??

This end riff of KoC by Matt backstage! :D It comes in at about 6:28.

Liz, AWESOME review. CANNOT WAIT to see Muse live!

OMG CAN MELALAK MAAAN, listening to Overture. Cannot tahan! Thanks for the recordings!

*Stereophonics, anyone?*

You must join us the next time, k? :happy:

Kelly Jones, I really really want to see him in his leather jacket and shades (though I've been told that for this tour, there are no jackets no more!) Stereophonics made the theme song to Ewan McGregor's motorcycling trip series and if I do go, I'd make a banner to ask them to play that :happy: I decided to skip them last time round due to SINGfest, but if they're coming back, that's pretty likely a sign not to miss out on Local Boy in the Photograph for the second time! I just need to work out my commitment issues... winning some tickets would sure help.

You must join us the next time, k? :happy:

Kelly Jones, I really really want to see him in his leather jacket and shades (though I've been told that for this tour, there are no jackets no more!) Stereophonics made the theme song to Ewan McGregor's motorcycling trip series and if I do go, I'd make a banner to ask them to play that :happy: I decided to skip them last time round due to SINGfest, but if they're coming back, that's pretty likely a sign not to miss out on Local Boy in the Photograph for the second time! I just need to work out my commitment issues... winning some tickets would sure help.

I WILL! :awesome:

OMG YES KELLY MR. SMEXY VOICE JONES. :D Why no more jackets? There must always be a leather jacket! Haha. I don't really listen to them a lot, only know a few songs - I SHALL NAME THEM: Maybe Tomorrow (one of my all time favourite song), Dakota, Lying in the Sun, Have A Nice Day, Local Boy in the Photograph, Mr. Writer, My Friends, and Rainbows and Pots of Gold, Heee, that's all! But Kelly's voice is like one of the most powderful and sexiest voices I have ever heard. Oh I watched LWR like 1 or 2 times, thought the song was from them! Haha, I'd go if I got free tickets too! :happy:

Hahaha it would be crazy if Kelly Mr Smexy Voice Jones decides to wear a leather jacket in this weather! :LOL: I think my all time fav Stereophonics song would be

. :D "Yeah it takes one tree to make a thousand matches, it only takes one match to burn a thousand trees". Kelly Jones and Ewan McGregor are close pals, apparently. Hee :happy:

Stereophonics in KL may just be plausible! Spread the word around, and demand for it here! http://sites.junkonline.net/bydemand/

Edited by guilt-stricken

:awesome::awesome::awesome::D

edit: Hi debbie, how was first week back in uni? :)

Helloo! Aww thanks for asking :happy:. During the first week of uni, we only have our lectures. No tutes or labs yet, so its pretty relaxed I guess... UNTIL NOWWWW!! I was assigned a lab project due in 2 weeks already. and its only Monday. I'm also a bit behind in lectures as my brain is super rusty from being on holiday for the past 7 months so I gotta do some revising I guess... ah well. :(

How's you? :)

In fact, how's everyone? :D