You know when people say Absolution was Over Produced..

siblers

In what way exactly?

I kinda know what they mean, I just can't really describe it. Is it like the inclusion of unnecessary piano solos and orchestral pieces?

It's things like having eight guitar tracks on one song, multiple overdubs, silly production effects that don't work live (scratching etc), loads of compression on everything, etc - they all work together to reduce the 'rawness' of a live band....

Basically it sounds a bit like it's been laminated :LOL:.

Usually sounds that can't be reproduced by the band members live, without a backing track? A reason why they've never played Falling Away With You?

I'd fall asleep if they played Falling Away. I don't think Absolution is over-produced, loads of bands put things on the album that they couldn't do live. You don't see a violinist appearing on stage at the end of a Green Day gig when he does time of your life.

I think the overblown-ness of Absolution is what makes it so brilliant.

overprocessing means polishing a song that much that all warmth of the instruments is gone and the human input is like gone. It doesn't mean too much instruments. Think about an orchestra, much doesn't mean over.

I like albums with playing errors still in it more than the ones with computer corrected clicktrack ones. In fact, most bands I only like in a live situation.

For me, the raw tracks were:

- Stockholm Syndrome

- Apocalypse Please

- Ruled By Secrecy

The rest were rather too clean, TSP could have been so much more powerful and energetic, whereas on the album is sounds very flat.

In what way exactly?

I kinda know what they mean, I just can't really describe it. Is it like the inclusion of unnecessary piano solos and orchestral pieces?

Well considering on Best, most people seem to prefer the Glastonbury version with the guitar, which means even more inclusion, I'd say overproduced is just a criticism when people can't put their finger on it, but they want to criticise anyway.

overprocessing means polishing a song that much that all warmth of the instruments is gone and the human input is like gone. It doesn't mean too much instruments. Think about an orchestra, much doesn't mean over.

I like albums with playing errors still in it more than the ones with computer corrected clicktrack ones. In fact, most bands I only like in a live situation.

You just explained what I don't like in Absolution, if you hear its songs live and then the shape they have in the studio version, well... :stunned:

I suppose the way Absolution turned out to be so different from Origin, whether people liked it or not, it just isn't as raw and energetic as OOS thus people criticised it for being overproduced. Maybe it was just overproduced compared to their earlier 2 albums, but compraed to albums in general, it wasn't?

I don't think the real problem is overproduction coz when they played live they did use tracks (i.e. playing Stockholm Syndrome), it's just that I didn't like this overprocessing style of mixing the album, changes in some vocals of Apocalypse please (does anyone remember Emergency?), choirs on TSP (It's supposed to be a powerful song and they make it weak), the general poorness of lyrics (musically speaking, I mean Matt used to have a wide vocal potential in Showbiz and Origin Of Symmetry), I expected it was something very different from OoS as OoS was in comparison of Showbiz.

Actually I like the songs played live coz they don't have a great part of what I don't like!

In the end is not that I didn't like Absolution, I like it, but after two masterpieces like Showbiz and Origin Of Symmetry I expected something else, or maybe I just hoped for something as good as them. It's like Showbiz and OoS are about 9 and Absolution is about 7.5.

Obviously that's the opinion of a Showbizian girl that adores bands playing live!:p

Hm, think the problem is people comparing the live medium to the recorded medium. They are supposed to be different. I see no reason for not recording the best and most complete version of a song. Remember, this version if the one people will hear every time they listen to it. Why not make it as good you possibly can?

Hm, think the problem is people comparing the live medium to the recorded medium. They are supposed to be different. I see no reason for not recording the best and most complete version of a song. Remember, this version if the one people will hear every time they listen to it. Why not make it as good you possibly can?

That's what I was thinking. If you want a live feel, surely you'd buy a live album? Albums are about showing the world what youc an do ina studio, and live is showing how close you can come to that in a live siuation. To have an album with a proper live feel, surely everything would have to be recorded as a band, first time round?

A big question with Muse albums has been 'how will they pull of that song live?' that's why its got so much crammed into an album track i'd guess,

Yes I agree with the fact that you want to make a song perfect as you can do this in a studio, but I mean Showbiz and OoS mixing was different than Absolution one in my opinion, or at least Abso mixing is more cold than the others. It's not that there are mistakes or live versions on the previous two albums!:p

I know that if I want a live feeling I gotta go to a gig!;)

- Stockholm Syndrome

- Apocalypse Please

- Ruled By Secrecy

The rest were rather too clean, TSP could have been so much more powerful and energetic, whereas on the album is sounds very flat.

hysteria is far more raw than that, as is thoughts

yeh i agree with that. at a gig the reason you go is to hear the song played live, ie different to the album. i think muses sounds needs to sound overblown otherwise it will just sound thin. when you listen to a song on your cd player it has to sound perfect because that is the one version that will go out to everyone, live gigs are different and need the raw element.

- Stockholm Syndrome

- Apocalypse Please

- Ruled By Secrecy

Stockholm Syndrome was very heavily produced. The 'guitar' in the solo is actually a guitar and a synth mixed togeth using a very powerful computer and software thingy (Software is called Kyma, since I bothered to research this) and was likely to actually be MIDI playing it.

'Over-production' is basically taking away all the mistakes/flaws, basically character in the recording, the character of something is it's flaws, take them away, you're left with something with no soul. Like a hot blonde with fake tits and half a brain.

Completely OTT production can result in some cool sounds though.

Archived