You know when people say Absolution was Over Produced..

siblers

But thats a horrible vision of the future. Why cant some things be heavily produced and others much less so? Why must one way of doing things annihilate the other?

Garage + ghettoblaster + cassette + record button = the real future.

But thats a horrible vision of the future. Why cant some things be heavily produced and others much less so? Why must one way of doing things annihilate the other?

I didn't say that, quite the opposite, I was saying knowing when to use over-production is a very useful quality to have, so you can do what's correct for the song.

in my opinion, absolution sounds 80 times better than showbiz or OoS. i think that, in origin especially, the mixing took so much away from the songs of the album and kept them from reaching the height that they should have. quite frankly, i get bored quite quickly with it because the songs lack the energy and drive they should have. where origin failed, absolution succeeded. there, i said it.

and after hearing SMBH, i wanted to set my ears on fire.

I didn't say that, quite the opposite, I was saying knowing when to use over-production is a very useful quality to have, so you can do what's correct for the song.

Fair enough. I thought you were holding up the Artic Monkeys, Libertines, Babyshambles etc etc as the correct way to produce, my mistake.

Fair enough. I thought you were holding up the Artic Monkeys, Libertines, Babyshambles etc etc as the correct way to produce, my mistake.

Not at all, just that style of production does sell and it always comes back!

Actually thinking about it, over production does dates really quickly, just think of all those dodgy pop tunes from the 80's! Yet punk, grunge and all that is still very popular...

Not at all, just that style of production does sell and it always comes back!

Actually thinking about it, over production does dates really quickly, just think of all those dodgy pop tunes from the 80's! Yet punk, grunge and all that is still very popular...

The same thing is true of special effects in films.

i think that, in origin especially, the mixing took so much away from the songs of the album and kept them from reaching the height that they should have.

OOS really does lack bottom end oomph - the bass, which should be as walloping as it is live, is pretty thin.

The same thing is true of special effects in films.

That's precisely why alot of films use classical music for the soundtrack. Just it's cool at the moment to use pop (as in popular music in general) music as it saves writing it and basically a cheap way of cashing in.

That's precisely why alot of films use classical music for the soundtrack. Just it's cool at the moment to use pop (as in popular music in general) music as it saves writing it and basically a cheap way of cashing in.

But does the 80's music (or rubbery special effects) in Terminator really ruin the film? But yeah, sure, I take your point.

Absolution lacks squeak. The guitar squeals in SS but it doesnt hurt your ears like Citizen Erased does.

Agreed. And whilst Space Dementia gets my partner leaping for the hi-fi remote muttering darkly about chopped spikes knackering his beloved kevlar cones I don't hear enough brutality in Absolution.

So that's why I never listen to the album.....it's 'cos I'm jealous! Not because I think it sounds shit, the songs are shit, and just generally shit :rolleyes:

you're not the lead singer of Bloc Party, or some other lame musician that bashes muse. so you shouldnt be jealous

How do you know?

I have the same guitar as the Jonny Greenwood wannabe guitarist from Bloc Party and I don't really like Bloc Party that much, couple of good songs though.

To be honest, I actually really like the sound that guy gets from that guitar on the couple of Bloc Party songs I do like.

Another question,

Did muse use backing tracks alot during the Showbiz and OOS days? or was it a more recent thing? Matt was a spontaneious(sp?) during those days and having various backing tracks would limit that, i'd imagine.

If I'm not wrong they didn't during Showbiz and OOS days, you know now they use these backing tracks and even these special video effects and maybe that limit a little bit their performances but in the end they have never been the kind of band that varies their setlist so much from date to date even in the early days.:)

Thank you for the scanning of the article Half Life!!!:)

in my opinion, absolution sounds 80 times better than showbiz or OoS. i think that, in origin especially, the mixing took so much away from the songs of the album and kept them from reaching the height that they should have. quite frankly, i get bored quite quickly with it because the songs lack the energy and drive they should have. where origin failed, absolution succeeded. there, i said it.

and after hearing SMBH, i wanted to set my ears on fire.

I qould have to say the exact opposite. The whole balls to the floor limit till its flat style of absolution lacks energy and punch. The comppression on origin is punchy and doesn't have the dipped mids that just sounds cheap. Origin has a really nice fat bassy sound, with the bass taking more room than the guitars, so the guitars can do nice fancy stuff. Opinions apunians.

Another question,

Did muse use backing tracks alot during the Showbiz and OOS days? or was it a more recent thing? Matt was a spontaneious(sp?) during those days and having various backing tracks would limit that, i'd imagine.

Just Bliss, really. At least I think thats the case.

I have to say, I think I've found the perfect production.

Tool seem to nail it pretty well. Some of it's over produced (the guitars sound horrible at times) but it still wallops you round the face with intensity - unlike Absolution.

I have to say, I think I've found the perfect production.

Tool seem to nail it pretty well. Some of it's over produced (the guitars sound horrible at times) but it still wallops you round the face with intensity - unlike Absolution.

Which Tool album?

Archived