You know when people say Absolution was Over Produced..

siblers

Both Matt Bellamy and Adam Jones use the same amps (Ok, Adam Jones also uses a Dual Rec and a Super Bass along with Gibson Les Pauls, rather than a gazillion custom made guitars), so it's interesting you should mention Tool.

• 2 years later...
I am so arrogant as to say that i could have done a better job of recording TSP than Muse. In fact, i'm going to prove it.

prove it? how? lol

if you're going to record another band playing it and then mix it all yourself, then put it up so we can all listen. then make a poll :p

I think that Absolution is the only Muse album in which some of the songs actually sound better recorded than they do live. TiRO and Ruled by Secrecy come to mind. Time is Running Out sounded like a proper rock song on the album and on the Absolution Tour. More recently it has been quite lame live.

I'd fall asleep if they played Falling Away. I don't think Absolution is over-produced, loads of bands put things on the album that they couldn't do live. You don't see a violinist appearing on stage at the end of a Green Day gig when he does time of your life.

I think the overblown-ness of Absolution is what makes it so brilliant.

Here fucking here!

----

Sometimes, people just criticise Muse because they feel they need to, even when there's nothing to criticise. I'm going to try to learn to ignore it 'cause it's getting old. I'ts like the incessant Radiohead comparisons. OLD as fuck, an just stupid now.

Anyways, OT, how the feck can it have been over-produced? None of the tracks are suffocated by over-production an 'unnecessary' input..they flow very well, an clearly a lot of consideration went into what should be included an what shouldn't in terms of instruments an mixing etc. It was made to be a more bombastic album, (although OOS steals the show there), so I can't see how that's a valid arguement.

I am so arrogant as to say that i could have done a better job of recording TSP than Muse. In fact, i'm going to prove it.

:rolleyes: We're waiting..

I think that Absolution is the only Muse album in which some of the songs actually sound better recorded than they do live. TiRO and Ruled by Secrecy come to mind. Time is Running Out sounded like a proper rock song on the album and on the Absolution Tour. More recently it has been quite lame live.

+1.. an Apocalypse studio is also immense! :happy:

I think they sound great, but they can't really get the bass to sound like it did on studio when doing it live (especially TiRO and Hysteria) ... that's what makes it odd to me.

Wait..why can't muse play FAWY live?

Edit: god so this made me curious and so of course I went to Youtube...

And found this absolutely RIDICULOUS video of FAWY backwards...with lyrics!

Read the lyrics they're hilarious :D

In what way exactly?

I kinda know what they mean, I just can't really describe it. Is it like the inclusion of unnecessary piano solos and orchestral pieces?

Dude, you need to stop worrying about what other people think. Absolution is a fantastic album thanks to great song-writing and production. You shouldn't care about why people diss it, seeing as you can listen to it yourself and form your own opinions.

Wait..why can't muse play FAWY live?

Edit: god so this made me curious and so of course I went to Youtube...

And found this absolutely RIDICULOUS video of FAWY backwards...with lyrics!

Read the lyrics they're hilarious :D

Amazing lol not bad at all :happy:

I think that when a band can make an album as well-produced and fit together as Absolution, and then carry on to still manage the best live shows around, that says something for the band. I don't believe there is a contradiction in the way that Absolution and Muse Live sound, or in the production.

I do prefer a raw Muse song, I must say, but I also enjoy listening to the careful planning and construction of their album tracks as well. EVERY Muse album has been over-produced to an extent. They love Big sound, and Big music; it's only natural that their albums be Big. The songs change as they go to live versions, and usually in ways that do not detract from them, but make them different in a good way.

Hmm, I think in hindsight I still think of this album pretty highly...but Origin probably has the better songs.

Still a really good album though. Has an amazing opening and closing song and a good balance of the heavier, rockier stuff and the dramatics.

Hmm, I think in hindsight I still think of this album pretty highly...but Origin probably has the better songs.

Still a really good album though. Has an amazing opening and closing song and a good balance of the heavier, rockier stuff and the dramatics.

+1

They made some excellent choices with it an there's something for everyone - SFA, FAWY, Blackout, Endlessly, RBS for mellower tracks, TIRO, SS, Hysteria, TSP for heavier tracks, AP, B&H for dramatics/epics. It's just a really well-rounded album.

Plus, generally speaking, I think they're really good at selecting album openers and closers. Each one has amazing choices that they've gone on to utilise live in some cases (BH&R mostly).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

It's somewhere in my Top 5, but not because of the production. It's just a little too... maybe slick's not the word, but it needs a bit more grit and oomph to it. Hoping Muse's first 4 albums will get a remastering job sometime in the future.

The ideal production for Absolution would be something like the sound Nick Raskulinecz gave Deftones' last couple of albums- that ludicrous level of clarity which gives every instrument room to breathe (so I wasn't thinking it needed more rawness then) but also lends the guitars and bass an enormous weight (which, if nothing else, would enhance the attack on The Small Print, TiRO and Stockholm). Certainly the loudness-as-weapon sound you get on The Downward Spiral by NIN or Roots by Sepultura would be a bad idea, though it works brilliantly for those records.

Archived