You know when people say Absolution was Over Produced..

siblers

Stockholm Syndrome was very heavily produced. The 'guitar' in the solo is actually a guitar and a synth mixed togeth using a very powerful computer and software thingy (Software is called Kyma, since I bothered to research this) and was likely to actually be MIDI playing it.

'Over-production' is basically taking away all the mistakes/flaws, basically character in the recording, the character of something is it's flaws, take them away, you're left with something with no soul. Like a hot blonde with fake tits and half a brain.

Completely OTT production can result in some cool sounds though.

evers single record put out nowadays has every single flaw/mistake taken out, with the great invention of protools we can do that. All of the sessions that I have worked on this has been the case, with the exception of jazz, they embrace the sqeaks from the saxs and clarinets:)

evers single record put out nowadays has every single flaw/mistake taken out, with the great invention of protools we can do that. All of the sessions that I have worked on this has been the case, with the exception of jazz, they embrace the sqeaks from the saxs and clarinets:)

Not everything, listen to the Artic Monkeys, Libertines, Babyshambles etc etc

Knowing what flaws to correct and what not to will soon become a very difficult art, as it's quite clear over-production isn't that popular with the public (Well in the UK at least). Works in dance music though, because it defeats the point of that type of music to have 'emotion' (i.e. flaws)

Knowing what flaws to correct and what not to will soon become a very difficult art, as it's quite clear over-production isn't that popular with the public (Well in the UK at least). Works in dance music though, because it defeats the point of that type of music to have 'emotion' (i.e. flaws)

yeah it might be a US thing, I want to work at a recording studio in london, I am trying to get over there when i graduate,

most people use the term overproduced without even understanding what it means, much like the phrase "sold out". its a load of shit, and people being analytical of things for no reason. i personally think the album version of TSP was as good as it could of been, said before TSP is ace live but the live version wouldnt stand out in the settings of an album...why is it fans always think they know better than the people who created the music?

I think people who don't like Absolution's sound will hate BHAR...

... Didn't they take an age mixing this one up? And listen to Supermassive :LOL: ...

... I can't wait tho:happy:

with you on that man, this forum is getting very boring with people arguing over complete shit, half of which they dont even understand, its depressing

i personally think the album version of TSP was as good as it could of been, said before TSP is ace live but the live version wouldnt stand out in the settings of an album...why is it fans always think they know better than the people who created the music?

Actually I'm in music and I didn't want to say that I know better than Muse and their stuff how they should have made this song, I just expressed my opinion about TSP studio version: I can't stand the big choirs in this song because they are meaningless to me over there! I didn't say there should put a live version on it, they could have chosen a more appropriate style of backing vocals... but THAT'S MY TASTE!

I'm not so arrogant to say I would have done better, just expressing my own taste.:)

Actually I'm in music and I didn't want to say that I know better than Muse and their stuff how they should have made this song, I just expressed my opinion about TSP studio version: I can't stand the big choirs in this song because they are meaningless to me over there! I didn't say there should put a live version on it, they could have chosen a more appropriate style of backing vocals... but THAT'S MY TASTE!

I'm not so arrogant to say I would have done better, just expressing my own taste.:)

Yeah, no one has said they can do better, just said they don't like the sound(s). If you've spent money on something, you have a right to criticise it as much as you damn well like!

Also, if you have any idea what goes into recording, you'd appreciate that drum kits don't sound anything like they do on CD, where they get smoothered with all sorts of EQ, compression, limiting, gates, reverb, filters etc to get them to sound the way they do.

By overproduction, I mean how there are so many layers to a song that you've lost the melody and individual sounds of the instruments by passing them through shedloads of electronics, and putting emphasis on what the producer does for you than what you can do for the producer (tune, lyrics, musical accomplishment, etc). In Absolution, many of the sounds were mashed together, which was very noticeable on high-end hi-fi (but sounded fine on a car stereo).

There's a very good article in this month's 'Physics World' about how voices are analysed and synthesised to right pitch and timbre in recordings. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post/PM it.

I think people who don't like Absolution's sound will hate BHAR...

... Didn't they take an age mixing this one up? And listen to Supermassive :LOL: ...

... I can't wait tho:happy:

Slightly worried about that, I guess it's only natural after the way they have progressed from album to album, still can't wait for it though. I like Smbh, I just don't want a whole album of SMBH's.

Yeah, no one has said they can do better, just said they don't like the sound(s). If you've spent money on something, you have a right to criticise it as much as you damn well like!

Also, if you have any idea what goes into recording, you'd appreciate that drum kits don't sound anything like they do on CD, where they get smoothered with all sorts of EQ, compression, limiting, gates, reverb, filters etc to get them to sound the way they do.

Yep, I just felt attacked because it was me criticizing TSP some posts before and I thought I gave my opinion quietly and with thinking.:p

@ Half Life: it would be interesting to read the article you have just spoken about!:)

It's things like having eight guitar tracks on one song, multiple overdubs, silly production effects that don't work live (scratching etc), loads of compression on everything, etc - they all work together to reduce the 'rawness' of a live band....

Basically it sounds a bit like it's been laminated :LOL:.

Teflon prodcution as I like to call it.

Stockholm Syndrome was very heavily produced. The 'guitar' in the solo is actually a guitar and a synth mixed togeth using a very powerful computer and software thingy (Software is called Kyma, since I bothered to research this) and was likely to actually be MIDI playing it.

'Over-production' is basically taking away all the mistakes/flaws, basically character in the recording, the character of something is it's flaws, take them away, you're left with something with no soul. Like a hot blonde with fake tits and half a brain.

Completely OTT production can result in some cool sounds though.

The SS riff is horribly produced. It's WAY too quiet in the mix IMO. It should be more like Bliss or Citizen Erased that smashed you round the face (to use an NMEism) when you first heard them.

you know what i say to someone who thinks its overproduced?

shut the fuck up... the only reason why an artist would say that about absolution is cuz they are jealous, their engineer probably sucks and cant work the eqs or compressors. seriously it is an amazing album, its fine. and not overproduced, cuz it sounds just as good live as it does on the record.

shut the fuck up... the only reason why an artist would say that about absolution is cuz they are jealous, their engineer probably sucks and cant work the eqs or compressors. seriously it is an amazing album, its fine. and not overproduced, cuz it sounds just as good live as it does on the record.

So that's why I never listen to the album.....it's 'cos I'm jealous! Not because I think it sounds shit, the songs are shit, and just generally shit :rolleyes:

Another question,

Did muse use backing tracks alot during the Showbiz and OOS days? or was it a more recent thing? Matt was a spontaneious(sp?) during those days and having various backing tracks would limit that, i'd imagine.

But thats a horrible vision of the future. Why cant some things be heavily produced and others much less so? Why must one way of doing things annihilate the other?

Archived