Well the band my boyfriend is in now sometimes has 3 on stage, sometimes it has 5 and on other rather busy times has 7, the lead and bass players always stand forward of the drum kit and so when the others climb on stage to do their thing, he ends up with a wall of people in front of him and he doesn't get to see the crowd at all.

I'm not sure if he had the same hassles when he was in The Veil, but there used to always be a scrum for the monitors.

It sucks if you're always the one doing the setting up. You should ask for 2 wages, one as a performer and one as the roadie. :D

I'm not sure if he had the same hassles when he was in The Veil, but there used to always be a scrum for the monitors.

I still confuse SE's when I tell them not to put anything through my monitors :LOL:

Never really cared where I am on stage, never look at or pay attention to the audience. One gig I spent the first couple of songs in the little band room bit just off the stage because it was so dark onstage, then clicked I still had sunglasses on :facepalm:

Why don't you want anything through your monitor

Because where I'm usually playing guitar, it's completely unnecessary and would rather try and keep the stage volume down as it's not nice not hearing things for several days afterwards, so just find it easier to tell them not to bother.

Because where I'm usually playing guitar, it's completely unnecessary and would rather try and keep the stage volume down as it's not nice not hearing things for several days afterwards, so just find it easier to tell them not to bother.

YAY! At last a guitarist with some sense of volume.

The guitarist and the bass player in the band keep turning it up and it always bleeds into the vocal mics.

The last gig was so loud I had to have earplugs and I wished I wasn't so close to the amps. They've been told time and time again to turn down but they just fiddle with the knobs and then turn it back up again after just one song.

And lead guitarist needs to be taught to NOT put new strings on the guitar 10 mins before a gig!:mad:

haha

all real sound-guys know nobody needs to hear synth though, right?

:LOL:

It's fucking ridiculous, all they need to do is put them all at the same gain settings and give us enough volume on stage. Given that we know the songs and they don't, we can then mix ourselves using the handy 'volume control' built in to only every fucking keyboard ever!

the soundguy on friday was clearly half deaf. The guy who's there normally is absolutely amazing. He even helps you swap cymbals etc. This guy was your stereotypical argumentative cunt who made not only FOH twice as loud as it needed to be, but also on the stage!! I had to tell him how to EQ the kick drum (it's a hollow stage) 'cos I couldn't hear anything over BOOM BOOM BOOOM even then the monitor next to me sounded like a full, cranked marshall stack. Jesus, thank fuck for ear plugs.

It's a fact that working at these sorts of volumes for years will destroy your ears, which is why so many of them have it so loud at gigs.

:LOL:

It's fucking ridiculous, all they need to do is put them all at the same gain settings and give us enough volume on stage. Given that we know the songs and they don't, we can then mix ourselves using the handy 'volume control' built in to only every fucking keyboard ever!

Yeah but they don't think of that.

"Oh look its got a volume knob, whats that do?"

Dingbats!

Was he quite short with a lot of bushy hair!

We had a sound guy like that at a gig and sometimes he gets it spot on but the times he fucks up its a monumental fuck up.

It's a stereotype. You will come accross lots of soundmen who conform to it IE they are arrogant and deaf. Obviously there is an equal number who are friendly and great at their job.

Yeah, I agree that if you don't have to worry about the sound, then the band can just get on with playing.

i used to have a pretty big performance problem if the sound on stage wasnt good, or the monitor mix sucked. these days its ok though cos i mix my own IEM mix.. its a good way to get around that problem, cos it ruined a few gigs.