Aftermath - Radio Edit

weezul

Well they removed the best part of the song (the intro) but they shortened the shit guitar solo and maybe made the awful chorus part near the end shorter? The whole thing being shorter means there's less to suffer through, so that's good I guess. Still the worst Muse song.

They've pratically ruined it. :( The only thing I can bring myself to like it's the slight choral effect they've applied to Matt's voice during the second chorus, giving to his vocals more ambience.

The problem is, it doesn't surprise me if with these badly conceived edits many occasional listeners are turned off by Muse and degrade them as a band unworthy of being listened to. I've gotten this vibe various times whenever I discussed about their most recent music output with other people and it leaves me quite crestfallen, because it halts them from giving the band a try.

I think the fact Muse' songs get edited so much it's due to the historical prejudice that they've been a real radiophonical band, but they're so famous now that mainstream stations can't ignore them and so they shamelessly butcher their artistical output in order to make it fit broadcasting time slots.

And you, what do you think?

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

The problem is, it doesn't surprise me if with these badly conceived edits many occasional listeners are turned off from Muse and degrade them as a band unworthy of being listened to.

Pretty sure the full version would do that anyway tbh.

But it doesn't matter 'cause they won't promote it and it'll be played like twice on some obscure station (thank god).

Pretty sure the full version would do that anyway tbh.

But it doesn't matter 'cause they won't promote it and it'll be played like twice on some obscure station (thank god).

That's a bit harsh. Along with the guitar work at the beginning and the extended solo, many might enjoy, or even adore it. Just like many others might consider it as, I don't know, a very generic ballad with a handful of ambient tweaks to make it sound "cool".

Wait... the guitar in the intro was one of the best things on the album and really the only redeeming quality of the song in its entirety...

This really cements my belief that Muse have just fucking lost it. Like, mentally.

I don't think they really care about radio edits, but sadly I recognise they make them come across as B-series band to the masses of casual listeners, as I've said. Although, we mustn't forget they're editing their songs for radio since 2003 (like Sing For Absolution and Stockholm Syndrome), and we have other bad examples for this kind of operation, like Resistance.

Maybe not this late in the game for this album, but radio edits are pretty damn important. And something they really SHOULD care about.

If they're full of terrible, obvious edits and remove the good parts of the songs, that's a pretty big deal when they're supposed to be the draw that gets people into the band in the first place...

Maybe not this late in the game for this album, but radio edits are pretty damn important. And something they really SHOULD care about.

If they're full of terrible, obvious edits and remove the good parts of the songs, that's a pretty big deal when they're supposed to be the draw that gets people into the band in the first place...

Uprising and Madness also come to my mind, regarding all of this. In Madness, they omitted the first part of every chorus, the brief instrumental passage before Matt starts humming after the first chorus (resulting in the humming horribly fading in with the verse "...what you mean") and cut considerably the final build-up to "I need to love". And if I was a casual listener, maybe I wouldn't like it at all.

It's shame, really.

I guess I was of the opinion that Madness still worked, in that the entire song is essentially a build up to the big finish, and I always thought it was way too long in the first place.

It did it's job quite well, anyways. It was a monster hit.

Obviously this is why it works terribly live, nowdays, with neither end note being there...

But I guess both edits have that "guitar is expendable in this sort of music" kind of feel to them.

And the boys will keep on being disappointed that they're not drawing a younger, more active rock crowd to their gigs. :facepalm:

There was talk about this being the new single and being played in London since, like, October. I'm betting it happens.

Otherwise why release it now?

I have this horrible feeling they'll play this version live, so Matt doesn't have to play guitar on this one, either...

Oh god please no. If they were to play it, it would at least be slightly interesting if it had the album intro. Plus I bet they replace The Handler with it or something equally stupid.