NaZZeX

Hey guys.

I searched and couldnt find a topic on this so I thought of asking here. What exactly does Matt do when he hits behind the nut the get that high pitched sound?

I'm refering to what Matt does in various songs such as New Born and Time is Running Out.

EDIT: Or what Tom Morello does in the whole of Township Rebellion and War Within a Breath. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njf578br-PU

I've tried many different ways but I just cant get it. Is it exclusive to specific guitars or are there effects involved? Is there a special method for it?

Thanks. :happy:.

Hey guys.

I searched and couldnt find a topic on this so I thought of asking here. What exactly does Matt do when he hits behind the nut the get that high pitched sound?

I'm refering to what Matt does in various songs such as New Born and Time is Running Out.

EDIT: Or what Tom Morello does in the whole of Township Rebellion and War Within a Breath. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njf578br-PU

I've tried many different ways but I just cant get it. Is it exclusive to specific guitars or are there effects involved? Is there a special method for it?

You pretty much answered your own question, he just hits the strings behind the nut. Really simple, but also really effective when used at the right time:happy:

Hey guys.

if you have a guitar like a les paul where it has 3 tuners either side of the headstock, it is close to impossible to do it. on guitars like strats and teles (like the mattocasters) it's a piece of cake. just crank up teh gain and strum behind the nut. :)

Also, it's more difficult to really make it ring if you have the tele-style string aligning pegs.

Better to have the strings going straight to the tuner posts so they can resonate more.

No way. I have had several teles with the string trees still in place. Sounds the same tbf.

there's shit loads of bollocks surrounding hitting behind the nut, in reality, just hit behind it regardless of guitar, type of nut or string trees, a bit of volume or distortion helps to make it really stand out.

i've never had issues doing it on a gibson either from my memory...

there's shit loads of bollocks surrounding hitting behind the nut, in reality, just hit behind it regardless of guitar, type of nut or string trees, a bit of volume or distortion helps to make it really stand out.

i've never had issues doing it on a gibson either from my memory...

Apart from not getting the same pitch or sound out of it as you would from a 6 in line other the a 3 a side.

What is this? fucking muselive?

Also it only really works with tele style headstocks. Not the Gibson style 3 a side headstock.

works fine on my sg

No way. I have had several teles with the string trees still in place. Sounds the same tbf.

er, you can't argue that it sounds the same with string trees but it sounds different on 3-a-side headstocks :D different string length = different pitch. all my guitars with string trees produce a higher pitched and quieter sound when struck behind the nut. as haze said though, you can do it on pretty much any guitar. even works ok on my ibanez, which has a locking nut

Archived