Sorry if this has been asked before but the search is pretty bad.

I was wondering if anyone knows if Dom uses a Double Pedal for the live version of Dead Star, I'm trying to learn the song but I'm having trouble hitting the bass drum 3 times really quickly, does he use a DP or is there some way of being able to hit it really quickly without one?

Thanks in Advance!

Hi there,

According to Adam, Dominic don't use any double pedal. I think that just needs some practice. Maybe should you use the heel/toe technique ?

he might have done on hullabaloo - but yeah it can be done with one foot. I just played it a second ago before I checked the board! lol

Just keep practicing - try playing it slower at first and then build up speed.

I play it just with standard hits - no heel-toe or sliding technique needed.

i never said it was cheating. DB rocks.

just not for muse. i said it was cheating because dom doesnt use DB :)

DB does NOT rock. Its bad. Its a cheat. It's just loud noise. I'm yet to hear a song that uses a double pedal well! :LOL:

(gonna see if this thread will be merged with Doms Drums thread)

DB does NOT rock. Its band. Its a cheat. It's just loud noise. I'm yet to hear a song that uses a double pedal well! :LOL:

Listen to my bad you close-minded &$(%&)%(^&)*

I know we had a rather long argument about this on the drum thread, and there's no need to repeat it all over, but, you should make clear that what you're saying is not widely ragarded as fact so as to ensure a young drummer doesn't get influenced in a negative way.

continued from here:

Listen to my bad you close-minded &$(%&)%(^&)*

I know we had a rather long argument about this on the drum thread, and there's no need to repeat it all over, but, you should make clear that what you're saying is not widely ragarded as fact so as to ensure a young drummer doesn't get influenced in a negative way.

close minded! LOL!!! :LOL: hardly

no it's not a fact...but the opposite wouldnt be a fact either eg: "playing it is good" ....nahh :noey:

its an opinion and im entitled to it and i can back up my opinion....kinda...

I just dont see the point of them at all. Fast hits can be achieved with one foot. (Dave Grohl - Dom Howard - myself!!) Anything more than 3 or so in a row is just irritating noise.

It's like having 16th notes on the snare all the way through a song. Theres no skill. It sounds bad. Theres no musical talent...etc etc

Close minded because you deem drummers who use double kicking to be lesser drummers.

Of course 16th notes through a whole song would be irritating, the same goes for any part of the kit, or any instrument.

There are things that cannot be played with one foot, which a lot of people enjoy listening to. I for one enjoy stylish, tasteful, and funky double kicking such as that used in my band.

Close minded because you deem drummers who use double kicking to be lesser drummers.

Drummers that use double kicks when theyre not needed (for example lets say Knights of Cydonia) yes. Yes i do! Because they are! lol :D

Drummers that use a double pedal WELL to add a good element to the song...no. Not at all! :) They would be very talented indeed.

I have seen a few videos that Niles links us to - of TOP CLASS drummers using double pedal fantastically.

HOWEVER (i havent heard your band yet) all the drummers ive heard that use a double pedal in songs don't use it effectively and they just irritate me.

So yeah - I have more respect for a drummer that adds the double hits in a good way that adds to the song with one foot (assassin for example) than a drummer who just jabs away at it all the way through the song with no real skill or talent.

Double bass doesn't always mean that you are cheating; Yes, if you were to use it on a song (ex. KoC) just to get that extra hit, it would be, but normally it is used for faster notes that cannot be achieved with a single pedal. You can only go so fast with one hit, prime examples being Jojo Mayer and John Bonham.

I agree to a degree that too much double bass is crap - if its just straight 16ths throughout a song, the drummers just lazy IMO, and I have no interest in listening to a song with that. But many drummers can use double bass effectively and still keep the groove.

Listen to some Dream Theater ( I know, I know , Mike Portnoy :rolleyes: ) songs like Under a Glass Moon, These Walls (As soon as the drums come in, there is a quick triplet over the synth that could only be made by double bass, but it would have nowhere near the same effect with a single pedal), or any of his solos where the double bass is used as a filler between toms. Check out Thomas Lang also, he does some crazy, yet musical thing with double bass.

Actually, watch this video, it has a great example of the change in dynamics with the addition of one pedal.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/mikeportnoybassdrum.html

Double bass doesn't always mean that you are cheating; Yes, if you were to use it on a song (ex. KoC) just to get that extra hit, it would be, but normally it is used for faster notes that cannot be achieved with a single pedal. You can only go so fast with one hit, prime examples being Jojo Mayer and John Bonham.

I agree to a degree that too much double bass is crap - if its just straight 16ths throughout a song, the drummers just lazy IMO, and I have no interest in listening to a song with that. But many drummers can use double bass effectively and still keep the groove.

Listen to some Dream Theater ( I know, I know , Mike Portnoy :rolleyes: ) songs like Under a Glass Moon, These Walls (As soon as the drums come in, there is a quick triplet over the synth that could only be made by double bass, but it would have nowhere near the same effect with a single pedal), or any of his solos where the double bass is used as a filler between toms. Check out Thomas Lang also, he does some crazy, yet musical thing with double bass.

Actually, watch this video, it has a great example of the change in dynamics with the addition of one pedal.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/mikeportnoybassdrum.html

+1

Yeah I agree.

If its musical then great - I'm all for that....but most of the time its not.

Then again I dont listen to drum MUSIC as such - i listen to bands, and their drummer just goes mental with it and theres no interest there or musicality.

i don't get how double bass is cheating?

i mean, surely it's an opportunity to do something new with your playing? not a kop out of using one foot.

Introduction to Cave.

"Toms Bass Toms Bass Snare"

Has the same effect as

"Bass Bass Bass Bass Snare"

It's the same thing but done with one pedal and toms.

Most of the musical double pedal usage can be done on floor tom and bass drum to achieve the same sound.

exactly, too many people just get tunnel vision, and see it only as a way to cheap out. Have you tried using it first?

Yes I have and even playing it annoyed me! haha

I prefer to keep the hi-hat going.

And do the "musical double bass" on one bass and the toms

Not really tunnel visioned at all.

I prefer to keep the hi-hat going.

And do the "musical double bass" on one bass and the toms

I used to do this when I was first learning, and it deffinitely help me learn. However, there are things that require two hands on other parts of the kit, and still a bass rythm too fast to play with one foot and a floor tom.

I think you've obviously accepted the point that it's possible to have good music, with good, musical double kicking, and that's the only point I wanted to make.

If you'd like some recommendations of good double kicking in the context of bands, I can get my drummer to recommend me a few. I think his opinion would be better than mine.

Introduction to Cave.

"Toms Bass Toms Bass Snare"

Has the same effect as

"Bass Bass Bass Bass Snare"

It's the same thing but done with one pedal and toms.

Most of the musical double pedal usage can be done on floor tom and bass drum to achieve the same sound.

But toms and bass drums don't sound the same, so it's not the same.

Also, it wouldn't be very comfortable to play using a tom. It's just a lot smoother using double bass.

But toms and bass drums don't sound the same, so it's not the same.

Also, it wouldn't be very comfortable to play using a tom. It's just a lot smoother using double bass.

well of course they dont sound the same - but they have the same effect.

The example of cave is perfect.

Picture it being played on double bass instead of toms and it will have exactly the same effect, sound and feel.

I want a double pedal.... because it'd be nice to have. :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne6hZW3Wsr8

So would a cowbell...a tambourine...a gong! :D

...and theyre musical! ;):LOL:

well of course they dont sound the same - but they have the same effect.

The example of cave is perfect.

Picture it being played on double bass instead of toms and it will have exactly the same effect. sound and feel.

I personally find they have a slightly different effect.