Just heard Mercy and I have to say, I really like it lyrically but as a song it just doesn't do much for me. It sounds like Muse trying to replicate the Black Holes era and sounds like a bside from that time. There was a lot more guitar in it then I thought compared to the crappy bootleg.

The mixing and overall sound is far better on this album, everything sounds sharp and full of punch. Mutt Lange's influence I'd say? All those extra takes must help!

My only concern is that the first part of the album is supposed to be "dark" and I see very little darkness in the first three songs tbh. Yes, they have somewhat gloomy lyrics, but I kinda hoped they would be dark in a Citizen Erased (or Megalomania) way D:

Kinda have the feeling that Dead Inside and Mercy will make more sense with the rest of the album, I like Mercy, more than I liked DI after the first listen, but I want things to get heavier, I love Psycho, and really really loved the making of, both Defector and Globalist look good.

Kinda have the feeling that Dead Inside and Mercy will make more sense with the rest of the album, I like Mercy, more than I liked DI after the first listen, but I want things to get heavier, I love Psycho, and really really loved the making of, both Defector and Globalist look good.

All signs point to The Handler being the most exciting song on the album according to Dom's excitement from the KROQ interview...

Guys 've mentioned Hander a few times. I think Chris also said is his favorite song too, for Matt it depends, I think the changes every week

True, but have you heard the KROQ interview yet? Dom sounded pretty excited to play it although he knows they're not allowed to.

True, but have you heard the KROQ interview yet? Dom sounded pretty excited to play it although he knows they're not allowed to.

i've watched the interview yes, who forbids the band not to play those songs? Warner?

About the interview what did Matt said about Chris and the new songs?

i've watched the interview yes, who forbids the band not to play those songs? Warner?

About the interview what did Matt said about Chris and the new songs?

Warner/management. Matt mentioned "Chris" as some guy in management not letting them play new stuff yet. He didn't say much besides that, and that was already mumbled to begin with lol

I'd say all four songs we've heard so far shit all over the vast majority of T2L and at least half of TR, filler or not.

Agreed. Though the songs are sub-par so far (aside from reapers imo) they are much better than The Resistance.

Agreed. Though the songs are sub-par so far (aside from reapers imo) they are much better than The Resistance.

I think it's hard for Muse to pass "par" anyway considering the standards we have are so high: OOS + Abs. Not that that's a bad thing. I think Reapers is up there though

it's such a shame this whole label BS gets to dictate the band what to do. For a long time they're going to be doing festivals to mix crowds and not just fans who don't want to hear new stuff and these past gigs were the best place to debut new songs. I hate the "industry"

:mad:

I count two.

Animals, Survival, Unsustainable, Isolated System

The first is technical, 2nd rocks hard (unusual lack of chorus structure), 3rd underscores a period in their career with a successful exploration (but def. not mastery) of new territory, and IS is just good songwriting IMO. So I count 4

Or maybe it's just basic marketing in that you don't give away too much of the album before it's released. I'm sure this has happened before, only we've not known about it.

That's exactly what I mean. The way the industry works forces content creators to be marketing slaves. But in any case playing a song live isn't giving it away. I think if anything things like the Psycho tour and now Reaper's proshot have served better at "marketing" the album than typical approaches.

That's exactly what I mean. The way the industry works forces content creators to be marketing slaves. But in any case playing a song live isn't giving it away. I think if anything things like the Psycho tour and now Reaper's proshot have served better at "marketing" the album than typical approaches.

No, playing a song isn't giving it away. Playing something like 5-6 songs on a 10-song album is.