How was Madness viral, or do I not quite understand the concept?

I think of it more as "release a few seconds of dubstep, and let pissed off fans on the internet do the rest."

The reason for going with Warner again confuses me. I don't know a terrible amount about it, but what do they get out of it? Does Warner just throw money at them up front, I guess?

And why wouldn't Warner be DOING anything - other than blocking YouTube videos?

Unless they are just riding off Muse's fan base and current level of popularity to make money.

lol they haven't had a "viral" vid since Madness and I doubt they'll have staying power in the charts again without going down a campy route. Muse should just do their own thing by now, clearly they aren't getting much benefit from Warners considering their whole job is to push that shit like hell. It's almost like they don't want to profit off of Muse anymore.

can you please stop starting your posts with "lol" and :facepalm:?

and by what measure do you consider Madness video as "viral"?

And why wouldn't Warner be DOING anything - other than blocking YouTube videos?

Unless they are just riding off Muse's fan base and current level of popularity to make money.

This seems most logical to me. Warner must know that the fans are somewhat crazy for this album and are betting that our reactions to 'the album that takes it back to their roots' are what will drive sales.

They could also be waiting for the festivals. Hundreds if not thousands attend, are they betting odds that people at the gigs will push the album sales well enough on their own?

This seems most logical to me. Warner must know that the fans are somewhat crazy for this album and are betting that our reactions to 'the album that takes it back to their roots' are what will drive sales.

They could also be waiting for the festivals. Hundreds if not thousands attend, are they betting odds that people at the gigs will push the album sales well enough on their own?

Simply relying on the fans that already exist isn't very logical though.

Maybe the lack of marketing is a sign that they are going full indie progrock again.

:)

One can pray.

The "back to the roots" only works on Muse fans, though, past or current.

I would think the goal would be to garner new fans, and keep them.

I really don't see a single reason for Muse to have signed up with Warner at this stage, unless they really do just throw money at the band; which would be kind of disappointing, as what the fans "get" out if it is blocked YouTube videos and that's about it.

Weren't Muse in like the top 20 live performing earners on that Forbes list quite recently? They probably know most of their revenue comes from the world tours so there's no need to push the albums as much anymore.

Weren't Muse in like the top 20 live performing earners on that Forbes list quite recently? They probably know most of their revenue comes from the world tours so there's no need to push the albums as much anymore.

Yet they still claim to lose money touring in the country where their singles are currently doing the best.

Which could likely be shored up a bit by promoting the band more in areas that aren't, say, NY and LA.

(or ditching the increasingly stupid stage show.)

Also, sadly, the obviousness of the artwork makes me feel like I'm in middle school all over again...

lol :facepalm: no

obviously not.

And you didn't answer my question. But I will answer it for you. Madness took almost 4 months to get to 12 Million views, whereas Psycho reached the same amount in 2 months. Next time instead of acting a condescending ass do some research before posting your assumptions as facts.

Also, sadly, the obviousness of the artwork makes me feel like I'm in middle school all over again...

This :( I don't dislike it, but compared to stuff like the Abso and BH&R cover art, the lack of subtlety in terms of the message is quite disappointing

But a popular album serves to generate interest in the tour. I guess they're at the point where they know they'll sell out regardless?

The best they ever did in the US and Canada was in the times when they advertised the hell out of themselves with little shame about association, which they've shown hints of regret about. It doesn't explain their major lack of promotion but it could say why with good singles they still don't get much attendance in that area.