Found a site where I can get a big muff kit for about £40 which seems a decent price, and it's not meant to be very difficult to put together. There're so many versions though...

I like the late 70s version with the opamp. Not sure if there are different variations though.

On a side note, whoever said that a big muff was used for this was apparently right. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the late 70s version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0rV88Ev-og

I've done BYOC pedals before. They're not THAT cheap, but they are fun, a good learning experience, and often come with instructions on how to mod them as well. Would recommend.

Yeah definitely a good learning experience. My first one was a FET booster... could've gone with a fuzz face like everyone else, but I had to build an obscure boss booster circuit.

How could you forget??

And it's not just that, aesthetically I feel that the twisty Kaoss looked 10 bazillion times better than the mini kp. I really liked the look of the Sxc Stealth.

On a slightly related note, the volume pot fell off that old FF yesterday :(

pls

I had already damaged the neck on it, so why not ruin it further? In all seriousness though, I think it's a good design (especially because of the patch selector). Just needs to light up rainbow like the full size one.

Surely you can glue it back on? That's what MB would do.

Edit: Actually, no, he'd use tape. :facepalm:

I still need to get around to doing a full rewire on the rust relic for that reason. The FF works, but I've had to resolder several connections because it got violated somehow when I replaced the mini toggle.

Just found an article about what Them Crooked Vultures used back in 2009. Might be of interest to some.

Maton Guitars constructed exactly according to the guidelines Josh, are a bit larger than standard guitars of this brand, because Josh is a powerful guy. Epiphone guitar and a market - Josh likes guitars of the company, but does not like to buy expensive models. The house has about 50 guitars, while most of them are instruments at a price of around $ 200. Guitar MotorAve Belair tuned AAEADG, while Epiphone Dot has mounted transmitter Manson MBK-2 at the bridge. This is one of his favorite guitars and a lot of party disc was recorded just from it.

Translated from Polish (?) but there's quite a bit of information on there

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=pl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.magazyngitarzysta.pl%2Fludzie%2Fwywiady%2F4686-dave-grohl-josh-homme-them-crooked-vultures.html&edit-text=&act=url

I like the late 70s version with the opamp. Not sure if there are different variations though.

I still need to get around to doing a full rewire on the rust relic for that reason. The FF works, but I've had to resolder several connections because it got violated somehow when I replaced the mini toggle.

Is that the one with the tone bypass or something lke that? There's a list with all of the different versions, so I'll have a look at that. :nerd:

But if you rewire it you'll lose some of the double MB mojo.

Epiphone Dot has mounted transmitter Manson MBK-2 at the bridge.

Now I know what to do if my dot ever needs new pickups.

Is that the one with the tone bypass or something lke that? There's a list with all of the different versions, so I'll have a look at that. :nerd:

But if you rewire it you'll lose some of the double MB mojo.

Now I know what to do if my dot ever needs new pickups.

I'm not sure actually. All I remember is that I had a late 70s one with this switch on top, which might have been a tone bypass? It was modded though, so I wouldn't know if that was stock or not.

I kept the original circuit for that reason. It has some #dodgy pots that make it sound extra broken like the original mirror guitar.... you know, before it got destroyed completely. Knights of Cydonia will never be the same etc.

And I was going to suggest the same thing :nerd: I'm not seeing it though, but maybe it's just a non-logo'd one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fze4EGFOHc

Also looks like a different guitar from the one he used in QOTSA.

I'm not sure actually. All I remember is that I had a late 70s one with this switch on top, which might have been a tone bypass? It was modded though, so I wouldn't know if that was stock or not.

I kept the original circuit for that reason. It has some #dodgy pots that make it sound extra broken like the original mirror guitar.... you know, before it got destroyed completely. Knights of Cydonia will never be the same etc.

And I was going to suggest the same thing :nerd: I'm not seeing it though, but maybe it's just a non-logo'd one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fze4EGFOHc

Also looks like a different guitar from the one he used in QOTSA.

Can't decide on which kit, so want to try all of them :facepalm:. Are the differences between versions of the circuit only hugely noticeable if you're really familiar with big muffs? Probably go for the green russian version since I've seen it on a few boards before so it must be quite good.

never4get. That's a point actually, I can't think of seeing him make twisty kaoss noises with the chrome bomber. Or 007.

Yeah, must not have the logo on it, if it even is an MBK-2. Also, I have to put heavier strings on that guitar now after seeing that.

Edited by nerd herd

Can't decide on which kit, so want to try all of them :facepalm:. Are the differences between versions of the circuit only hugely noticeable if you're really familiar with big muffs? Probably go for the green russian version since I've seen it on a few boards before so it must be quite good.

never4get. That's a point actually, I can't think of seeing him make twisty kaoss noises with the chrome bomber. Or 007.

Yeah, must not have the logo on it, if it even is an MBK-2. Also, I have to put heavier strings on that guitar now after seeing that.

I'd say they're fairly noticeable. Here's the opamp version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbJLrReLIuo

I don't have an original, but I've got a madebymike one with a built in MXR distortion so I can smashing pumpkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8MO-FqC88

Which ones? I think it said he uses 10-52 for the ones in standard.

Question for any of you delay/maths enthusiasts out there. Was playing a bit of Pink Floyd last night, and I normally use my Memory Man for delays like that because they just sound so good, but I thought I'd try and set up a preset for Another Brick (Part I) on my Timeline. I tried to check the BPM and got 100, and the delay time is about 440ms. However, apparently they're dotted eighths, which changes it all. I tried to use an online calculator which said I'd want to input 600ms, but it still didn't sound right, at least when I tried to play with the song. Is that just that the delay beats aren't in sync with the song or have I got the tempo wrong?

It sounded okay if I was just playing it by myself but then got messy if I tried to listen to the album version at the same time, so it might be the former. I might try it again with my Memory Man later as I've absolutely nailed it on there before. I'm just wondering if the whole 'preset' thing with the tempo is the problem when there's no midi clock sync stuff going on. I don't mind sticking with the DMM obviously, just playing around with what my Timeline can do.

Question for any of you delay/maths enthusiasts out there. Was playing a bit of Pink Floyd last night, and I normally use my Memory Man for delays like that because they just sound so good, but I thought I'd try and set up a preset for Another Brick (Part I) on my Timeline. I tried to check the BPM and got 100, and the delay time is about 440ms. However, apparently they're dotted eighths, which changes it all. I tried to use an online calculator which said I'd want to input 600ms, but it still didn't sound right, at least when I tried to play with the song. Is that just that the delay beats aren't in sync with the song or have I got the tempo wrong?

It sounded okay if I was just playing it by myself but then got messy if I tried to listen to the album version at the same time, so it might be the former. I might try it again with my Memory Man later as I've absolutely nailed it on there before. I'm just wondering if the whole 'preset' thing with the tempo is the problem when there's no midi clock sync stuff going on. I don't mind sticking with the DMM obviously, just playing around with what my Timeline can do.

I'm better at maths than using a delay pedal. And I'm really not great at maths.

Does the timeline have a dotted eighth setting? Trying something like that with my flashback, I'd probably just have it on that setting, and use the tap tempo to match the song.

It works for the intro of where the streets have no name, at least.

Yeah, it does but I hadn't tried using it before. I'll try to go back to it next time I play and try again. I've been pretty ill lately so I might have missed something obvious. My playing was pretty awful until the last couple of songs I played anyway, and the time I played before that a week or so ago was probably my best session ever, so it was that sort of night where things just weren't working anyway, haha! Thought I'd see I'd anyone knew anything specific though.

I'd say they're fairly noticeable. Here's the opamp version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbJLrReLIuo

I don't have an original, but I've got a madebymike one with a built in MXR distortion so I can smashing pumpkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8MO-FqC88

Which ones? I think it said he uses 10-52 for the ones in standard.

The opamp one sounds really good.

I was thinking 12s, but the guitar's currently in bits, so by the time it's reassembled I'll probably have changed my mind :facepalm:.

YES

Saw that yesterday. Seems to add up....

Because "head" can't mean anything else.

Also, apparently the remaining important part for my strat assembly has arrived... the neck.

Sperzel tuners this time. Watch me drill right through the headstock. :nerd:

I bought Reading tix the day Muse announced they were going to headline and the girlfriend just surprised me with Leeds tix for Friday to see Muse.

I think she's a keeper...

Nice. I was considering going to reading, but would only go for one day. How often are you in the UK?

Also, did you see this? Mine should be arriving soon

Nice. I was considering going to reading, but would only go for one day. How often are you in the UK?

Also, did you see this? Mine should be arriving soon

I don't go there very often, but flights from Germany are less than $60 so that makes it really easy to travel there.

I'm about to sign up for my membership now! Oh, the Rivers blue guitar looks great. I would've thrown the black tape and stickers all over it haha.

I don't go there very often, but flights from Germany are less than $60 so that makes it really easy to travel there.

I'm about to sign up for my membership now! Oh, the Rivers blue guitar looks great. I would've thrown the black tape and stickers all over it haha.

I would go there very often if flights were that cheap. If they have a guitar show later this year, do you think you'll go?

You'll have to let me know what your mystery gift is. I wonder if they're all different.

And thanks. Was just playing it, and I think it's true to the original as it refuses to go out of tune... on the other hand, they said the original broke six strings between 1994-1997, and I've already broken one in one day. Damn it.

I would go there very often if flights were that cheap. If they have a guitar show later this year, do you think you'll go?

You'll have to let me know what your mystery gift is. I wonder if they're all different.

And thanks. Was just playing it, and I think it's true to the original as it refuses to go out of tune... on the other hand, they said the original broke six strings between 1994-1997, and I've already broken one in one day. Damn it.

Yea if they do another show, it's a definite probability I'll be there. Any guesses what the next MB model is going to be released?

I'll post it on IG as soon as it comes in. Definitely post yours when you get it!

Yea if they do another show, it's a definite probability I'll be there. Any guesses what the next MB model is going to be released?

I'll post it on IG as soon as it comes in. Definitely post yours when you get it!

No idea, but surely they'll do some MB-1s next? Those haven't been done in a while. It'll be interesting to see if there are any tweaks this time round. I'd imagine the sustainiac replaces the sustainer at least.

And I will. Is yours shipping from the US? Mine should be arriving tomorrow.

Shame you won't be joining me in that Facebook group. It'll be interesting to see how many people there are, as I think this is priced fairly.

Dunno mate, he's playing radiohead on it, so it must be possible.

I think it moves too far away from the whole idea of, I don't know... a guitar? :erm: The MB-1 is as advanced as I'd go, personally.

Also, @jbias12, if this membership includes possible meet and greets OUTSIDE of their concerts... I know what I'm getting signed :awesome:

Dunno mate, he's playing radiohead on it, so it must be possible.

I think it moves too far away from the whole idea of, I don't know... a guitar? :erm: The MB-1 is as advanced as I'd go, personally.

Also, @jbias12, if this membership includes possible meet and greets OUTSIDE of their concerts... I know what I'm getting signed :awesome:

I think there are rules about doing that in public. Unless you mean the blue guitar..

I think there are rules about doing that in public. Unless you mean the blue guitar..

For a second I thought you meant playing radiohead on an MB ripoff guitar.

But no I meant... actually, getting that signed would be a pretty good idea too. Back of the headstock though.

I know the other guy who built a really accurate replica (tape included) managed to get a picture somehow, but I don't know if it's signed. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to meet them at some point... I did get a meet and greet package for their concert here last year, but I ended up not getting back from the UK in time. Only by a few hours as well :facepalm: