Wow, you're right actually, that does look like playback, especially at the beginning and the riff before the solo, like you said. :noey:

And I see what you mean about Bliss too, it's odd. There's definitely something funny going on there, haha.

:ohmy: Playback? It can't be. I knew about Muse before Live 8, but this performance was the reason I got into them. My love for them is based on.. a lie. I feel my soul crumbling (no pun intended) a bit.. oh dear! :'(:p

:ohmy: Playback? It can't be. I knew about Muse before Live 8, but this performance was the reason I got into them. My love for them is based on.. a lie. I feel my soul crumbling (no pun intended) a bit.. oh dear! :'(:p

I don't know, one of them just seems to be edited. Perhaps the people doing the TV broadcast overdubbed parts of the performance or something. I expect that Muse were actually playing live.

I don't know, one of them just seems to be edited. Perhaps the people doing the TV broadcast overdubbed parts of the performance or something. I expect that Muse were actually playing live.

The singing doesn't sound like playback, but something is definitely up with the sound. Anyway, they probably won all these "Best Live Band" awards for a reason. My soul will soon be restored thanks to the performance of Bliss at Reading 06 :)

2:19 is some kind of sustain/repeat effect they used on matt's line, and this thread hasn't turned into "Best Playbacks of Any One Song," right? :$:LOL:

:LOL: No, I think it's the vocoder-y backing. I should hope so anyway! Although it was known that during the absolution tour they were using a lot of backing tracks and such, and it was only after pressure from fans that they stopped doing it.

:LOL: No, I think it's the vocoder-y backing. I should hope so anyway! Although it was known that during the absolution tour they were using a lot of backing tracks and such, and it was only after pressure from fans that they stopped doing it.

Haven't heard of that. Tbh I think they still use as much, just Morgan flicks them on and off.

Never noticed that Live 8 footage though! Was quite surprised. I imagine Bellamy was going a bit crazy with his performance, but for the DVD they wanted a 'proper' performance like the studio version so put a guitar recording from a previous performance over the top

Haven't heard of that. Tbh I think they still use as much, just Morgan flicks them on and off.

Never noticed that Live 8 footage though! Was quite surprised. I imagine Bellamy was going a bit crazy with his performance, but for the DVD they wanted a 'proper' performance like the studio version so put a guitar recording from a previous performance over the top

I think one of the oldies mentioned it in another thread. It was basically things like, instead of Chris playing the TIRO bassline properly, he'd just play the clean part while they used the distorted stuff from the album as backing etc. And yeah, that's what I thought about the Live 8 stuff too.

I think one of the oldies mentioned it in another thread. It was basically things like, instead of Chris playing the TIRO bassline properly, he'd just play the clean part while they used the distorted stuff from the album as backing etc. And yeah, that's what I thought about the Live 8 stuff too.

The bass in TIRO at HAARP was just shit :noey:

The bass in TIRO at HAARP was just shit :noey:

Oh I know :LOL: Ruins the performance a bit, for me. That said, unless I've actually been at the gig, I haven't enjoyed a TIRO performace since, well, 2004, oddly enough. Not including Glasto 2010, which was great.

Oh I know :LOL: Ruins the performance a bit, for me. That said, unless I've actually been at the gig, I haven't enjoyed a TIRO performace since, well, 2004, oddly enough. Not including Glasto 2010, which was great.

I've always loved TIRO since it was the first Muse song I knew, but I've never really seen a live performance that does it justice. I'll try and find one now

I've always loved TIRO since it was the first Muse song I knew' date=' but I've never really seen a live performance that does it justice. I'll try and find one now[/quote']

Yeah same, it was the first muse song I properly liked, and if it wasn't for it I probably wouldn't be into them as much as I am now.

What?? D: say it ain't so!

Well, what happens a lot with broadcasted performances is that they're edited after it's been aired, and this may have been the case here, especially with the two different versions of Bliss from the same show that that version of Hysteria was played.

Screenager live at Montreaux Jazz Festival 2002

i love how he begins with that piano...and then the butterflies and hurricanes... and overall its just an outstanding performance. definitely the best live performance compared to the original song in my opinion. i love this!!

Yeah, you're definitely right imho, I hadn't seen that performance before, but that's the best version of TIRO I've ever seen.

I hadn't seen it either! One of the few TIRO performances that comes across as awesome live. Everything about the vocals in that was great

I think my main problem with it live is the guitar doesn't sound beefy enough. Like maybe he should just do power chords in the chorus, and then in the second verse which sounds massive on the album, doesn't quite do that for me live...

I hadn't seen it either! One of the few TIRO performances that comes across as awesome live. Everything about the vocals in that was great

I think my main problem with it live is the guitar doesn't sound beefy enough. Like maybe he should just do power chords in the chorus, and then in the second verse which sounds massive on the album, doesn't quite do that for me live...

I'm probably talking shit here, but if they transposed it down to Drop D (if you even can change it to that) or even Drop C then I think it would sound better live, and Matt probably wouldn't find it so hard to sing, he seems to have been struggling lately. But yeah I agree, the guitar has never sounded as beefy live as it does on the album. Although, I think there were at least three guitars in the album recording, which explains a lot.

Archived