Faster Louder: Matt features on Kimbra's new single.

Kazy-Babie

That South Park episode feels like my life. :( Right down to the alcohol.

If the song doesn't work for people that's totally okay. It's just so rude/ignorant for people to go "ughhh this song is shit" "this song is stupid. it's just random noises" "this song makes me want to throw up, etc."

Since you specifically quoted me, twice; I never said it was a "shit" song - I said it sounded like a bit of random noise, to me, yes.

I'm not a fan of that sort of "experimental" music, but don't give two shits if others are... as long as they don't get up on their high horse and act like elitist douchebags, implying that some how we lowly people just don't UNDERSTAND "artsy" stuff.

Just because something is different, doesn't automatically make it better, or make you a better person for liking it.

Mainly, I'm just a bit surprised at how much they played up Bellamy being on the single, when I personally can't tell if there's guitar noises going on there, or someone scraping out their toaster with a fork.

Although, I'm sure there would probably be an audience for that, too.

Did they really play it up though? I heard it being mentioned twice and the second time was when the rip was released.

"Random" is still a bit of a weird criticism for most music though. Reminds me of when someone called the drums in Assassin random.

Definitely gave me the impression it would be more noticeable, though.

Wonder if all of the other collaborations will be as low key.

I have a hard enough time explaining why I like certain music, let alone exactly why I don't like something.

A song either clicks with me emotionally, or it doesn't.

I've never been big enough into music that I analyze things for "good" structure, etc.

Experimental/atonal/etc just never "clicks" with me.

I listen to music that makes me feel good, typically, or at least strikes an emotional chord, or sometimes are just stupid and/or catchy, and songs like this one just don't do any of that for me.

That's the best I can explain it.

I also just wasn't into her voice at all.

I have a hard enough time explaining why I like certain music, let alone exactly why I don't like something.

I've never been big enough into music that I analyze things for "good" structure, etc.

I listen to music that makes me feel good, typically, or at least strikes an emotional chord, or sometimes are just stupid and/or catchy, and songs like this one just don't do any of that for me.

This is actually the least aggressive and most rational/accepting post out of everyone's so that's cool.

While the genres they discuss are MUCH more challenging and experimental ("90's music" sounds very normal to my ears compared to some of the stuff I listen to) you guys should check out this video. This kinda sums up some of the stuff I wanted to say but couldn't articulate it nearly as well as they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niyLKbA2_Xs

all of this is fair enough, it's just silly when people call something random when there's a clear structure and reoccurring themes which are clearly intentional and have a point. Just makes it sound like you can't really process what you're listening to, which isn't that unlike "getting" something.

Doesn't mean you have to like the song ofc. And doesn't make the song objectively anything.

imo, I still think it's silly to talk about there being something to "get."

What are the odds that those sounds are placed in the song with some deep meaning to understand?

Someone just thought it sounded cool.

To me, the sounds are just jarring, and fair enough probably meant to be so.

But, I find it fundamentally irritating to listen to, and not something I enjoy.

imo, I still think it's silly to talk about there being something to "get."

What are the odds that those sounds are placed in the song with some deep meaning to understand?

Someone just thought it sounded cool.

To me, the sounds are just jarring, and fair enough probably meant to be so.

But, I find it fundamentally irritating to listen to, and not something I enjoy.

Maybe you don't have to "get" music but imo it enriches the experience when you have a greater understanding of what is going on. For example, while to some people this piece of music might sound like weird random noises, if you look at the score you can see how everything really is mapped out purposefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HilGthRhwP8

Though I also think not all music does have deep meaning for how everything in the piece was chosen, and yes music can be over-analyzed.

But for this particular song the way I see it is like as a collage of sounds in the same way there can be a collage in visual arts.And I don't think the sounds were placed in the song 100% randomly. Sure some of the decisions may have been arbitrary but they were purposeful arbitrary decisions if that makes any sense...

Also here's the official audio that was just put up recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbBIhNe3e5s